Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Anyone using the Incision SS links?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anyone using the Incision SS links?

I ordered a full set of these the other day for a new Wraith build and when I pulled them out of the mailbox I was surprised at how heavy the package was. I was like, "when did I order wheel weights? Oh yeah." They are very nice links though, like mentioned above, typical VP quality. When you work with TI links for so long and you grab one of these they feel like they're mad of lead.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2016, 10:48 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligen View Post
I just installed these links today, and was curious how everyone was mounting the tierod and draglink to stock knuckles. RPP sent a screw that was a smidge longer then the factory screw but not quite long enough to go all the way from the top to the bottom of the knuckle arms. Should I just get a longer screw? Other then that I'm real impressed with the links and would take them over the titanium ones any day of the week.

Your links are too high on the knuckles, you are only using half of the mounting point which equals half the strength. The drag link ends should be in between the two arms of the knuckle for strength. Looks like you need a longer screw.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:11 PM   #23
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAZ View Post
Your links are too high on the knuckles, you are only using half of the mounting point which equals half the strength. The drag link ends should be in between the two arms of the knuckle for strength. Looks like you need a longer screw.
correct
Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAZ View Post

That's what I figured, I just thought it odd that it wouldn't come with the right screw, and that well maybe I was doing something wrong. Thanks.
haligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligen View Post
I just installed these links today, and was curious how everyone was mounting the tierod and draglink to stock knuckles. RPP sent a screw that was a smidge longer then the factory screw but not quite long enough to go all the way from the top to the bottom of the knuckle arms. Should I just get a longer screw? Other then that I'm real impressed with the links and would take them over the titanium ones any day of the week.
Hey Haligen; the supplied hardware along with the kit SHOULD have included long enough hardware to use both knuckle arms, but the supplied hardware is too short which is why you ended up mounting it like you did. You'll have to buy a longer hex bolt that reaches all the way through the bottom arm on that knuckle. Also, Incision should get up on their QC as my bottom steering link's bends aren't the same angles or degrees whatsoever on either side.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:42 AM   #26

Looking at the screw in the picture, it's the correct length SS screw. The drag link just needs to be between the mounts with the other one on top.
TwoShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:49 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShoes View Post
Looking at the screw in the picture, it's the correct length SS screw. The drag link just needs to be between the mounts with the other one on top.
Unfortunately, once you factor in the thickness of the lower arm, it is too short.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

it is too short if used with the stock plastic knuckles.
I got another longer screw ans is all good.
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #29
Pebble Pounder

I'm going to have to take a look at mine. I don't recall having a problem mounting mine and my front end is all stock, except for the incision links.
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #30

The screw that was sent to me just barely peeks out of the lower plastic arm when the draglink is in the middle. It was odd because the kit itself did not even include a screw. I found a little baggy with one wrapped up inside the invoice from RPP.
haligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #31

That's odd, the one mine came with worked perfect. I would contact Vanquish and mention that the wrong screw was included. I didn't have a problem installing the links. The screw is separate because the ends and balls for the links are Traxxas Revo ends. You can find the part number on their website. I would bet the person packaging the links just grabbed the wrong screw. You can contact Vanquish or source a stainless steel screw locally from a hardware store.
2Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:03 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrchad View Post
Just installed my set of Incision links. Went smooth, liked how stout these stainless 1/4" links are. Everything seems to flex well and articulate well. Only downside I can mention is the link balls are pretty narrow in diameter. Narrower than the plastic axial and narrower than any SSD link balls I've used so as a result when tightening them down you end up flexing the mounts in more than necessary. Just a minor thing; if you have a slightly wider diameter link ball then try using them in place of the ones included in the Incision kit or use small washers to shim the slop out so you get a tight mount without flexing the plastic in.
I noticed that yesterday
I may get some of the plastic spacers that came with extra parts to fill the blanks... Or try axial ball ends.

anyone have any better way to fix it?
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:58 PM   #33

Just a heads up, if you run your Bomber full speed into a metal pole, the SS Drag Link will bend... Luckily it was in a place where I could bend it back. I let me girlfriend's 10 year old son drive it for a few minutes. The plastic end broke so I ran to my LHS and bought the correct Revo end kit and it's what came with my Link Kit so I have spare parts.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisLM View Post
I noticed that yesterday
I may get some of the plastic spacers that came with extra parts to fill the blanks... Or try axial ball ends.

I shimmed mine (non Incision) with 3mm stainless washers from the hardware store.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:29 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisLM View Post
I noticed that yesterday

I used 3x6x.3mm shims (Associated, I think) on the ball ends that attach to the skidplate.

Everything else I just gave an extra half turn of the screw to pinch in the plastic, there are no problems doing that. It helps drilling out the front hole with a 3mm bit to make everything go together a little easier.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #36

Have anyone had any issue with the front steering rod?

I havent seen anyone having the same issue as i have.

I installed mine but it seems a bit shorter compared with the stock one.

here is the stock steering link:

VP suggested to loose both road ends:

Finally, both wheels are in parallel but I am a bit worry about the strength of both rod ends.

it seems that I have to loose 1/3 of the thread to get two front wheels in parallel. Is this normal?

Thanks
rock1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:19 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

It's normal from what I've seen from VP links stainless or Ti. They have to accommodate different knuckles and steering arm lengths and you need to be able to adjust toe in and out. If they made them to fit your length perfect they might be too long for another setup and there's not much you can easily do for a tie rod that's too long. Use the supplied M4 rod ends in your parts bag to take up the rest of the threads if you like but I've ran with more threads exposed than yours and never had problems.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:25 AM   #38

That will make it weaker for sure. I just ordered my set and It should be here tomorrow or Thursday and I hope its the correct length. I will post back when I get it.
Cali_Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:31 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Replacement Revo rod ends are cheap. If you are worried, keep a pack of them in your tool box. But I havent had any issues personally.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #40

I broke one of the revo ends on the steering when I let the GF's son drive it, at 10 years old he hit the throttle and ran it right into a steel pole on the grill at the park we were at. The SS links held up great to the impact.

Anyone using the Incision SS links? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vanquish incision chassis and links help? perry3182 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 01-21-2010 07:58 AM
VP Incision chassis links - what length? Rig Rocker Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 12-23-2009 04:56 AM
VP Incision Deezul Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 12-01-2009 05:44 PM