Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: What CI foams for hyrax?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default What CI foams for hyrax?

Hey guys, i do realize that there is a tire and wheel section but I wanted bomber owner opinions so I put it here. I have a heavy bomber, pushing 11 lbs that is front heavy and im looking for real world opinions which CI foams are working good for similar rigs using 2.2 hyrax. I have talked to Eddie but he was kinda vague with his info so just thought I'd see what others are using? I'm deffenetly going with double deuce comp cut and his suggestion was the 6.0 but not sure about med or firm front and rear. The guide says 1 step stiffer in rear but its very heavy up front so med in front still or firm in front and rear? It's a crawler with some trailing so lots of hill climbs, descents and side hilling. I don't have experience putting in the larger foams so im not sure how "big" a difference it will make on the firmness and flex.

Sorry to be so long winded but I know it helps to have as much info as possible when helping someone. Thanx for any input you have. Keep on truckin'.
Mikeinsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What CI foams for hyrax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinsocal View Post
Hey guys, i do realize that there is a tire and wheel section but I wanted bomber owner opinions so I put it here. I have a heavy bomber, pushing 11 lbs that is front heavy and im looking for real world opinions which CI foams are working good for similar rigs using 2.2 hyrax. I have talked to Eddie but he was kinda vague with his info so just thought I'd see what others are using? I'm deffenetly going with double deuce comp cut and his suggestion was the 6.0 but not sure about med or firm front and rear. The guide says 1 step stiffer in rear but its very heavy up front so med in front still or firm in front and rear? It's a crawler with some trailing so lots of hill climbs, descents and side hilling. I don't have experience putting in the larger foams so im not sure how "big" a difference it will make on the firmness and flex.

Sorry to be so long winded but I know it helps to have as much info as possible when helping someone. Thanx for any input you have. Keep on truckin'.
I cant say for the hydrax but for the stock bomber tires n rims i went with a double duce comp cut 5.5in with a medium outer front n rear. Thinking that the almost 5.5in height tire would be fine.

In heind sight i would of been much better off with the 5.25in as it was a bit of work to get the 5.5s in the stockers. That stated, LOVE the right now, so much more stable.

FYI I think the 6.0's are the same as the 5.5's with an extra .25in thickness ring so you will be fine if you need to go one notch smaller OR run one firmer than the other by running one without the ring and one with.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I know the reason for a firmer foam in the rear is for acceleration, the weight will shift back and put lots on the rear, also climbing will do a similar thing
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanx nd4spdbh, i just had an aha moment

I put the same foams in my stickers that you did and have been very happy but my rig keeps putting on weight so that's why I'm considering going stiffer. Also I think the g8 compound may be softer than the stock compound so it may need a little more support.

Thanx again this has helped.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Get two pairs of the new Proline 2 stage foam and one pair of the 5.5 CI medium. Put the medium CI outers on the proline closed cell inners for the front and just use Proline setup for rear. The Proline inners are a lot better than messing with CI tuning rings.
Orange peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:43 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I went with the Deuces Wild inserts inside my sticky PL TSL XL's.

I prefer the fact that I can steer thru most everything with little drag, deflection or bind...
and that the sidewall doesn't fold over the wheel's rim when on extreme angle or when turning (incl. higher speeds).

Maybe not as deflated as it could be for slow mo rock crawling...
But the trade off isn't bad... and these sticky PL TSL's adhere to the rocks/terrain very well regardless.

Course my decision probably has a lot to do with my 1/6 weighing in at 12 lbs.

Plus the DW inserts are fully water proof if that matters to anyone.

Granted... probably not a good choice for lightweight crawlers.
But stiffer inserts will be easier on that weak steering servo you might utilize
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:59 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanx for the input guys
Old 03-30-2017, 10:37 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

6" DD comp cut inner, firm/firm outers. Thats a heavy rig.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:32 AM   #9
RCC Addict

5.5" DD with medium outers on my rig.

calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:08 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
5.5" DD with medium outers on my rig.

What's your rig weigh?
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:20 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Thanx again for all the input guys. After getting the tires last night and seeing the size difference to the stock kit tires I decided to go with the 6.0 dd because I have the 5.5 dd in the stockers and they are just right. I'll post back when I get them and let you know how it goes.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinsocal View Post
Thanx again for all the input guys. After getting the tires last night and seeing the size difference to the stock kit tires I decided to go with the 6.0 dd because I have the 5.5 dd in the stockers and they are just right. I'll post back when I get them and let you know how it goes.
Any update mike? Have a friend looking & the hyrax and DD foams also. They only have standard inners but have 6" and 5.5". Proline site says the hyrax are 5.75 tall...
Old 04-03-2017, 01:37 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

BTW, the 6" do not have tuning rings.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:55 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Also curious with this setup, mine is pretty much stock weight besides removed spare. I have my hyrax tires but my proline wheels get here tomorrow.. should I try the foams IN the hyrax tires now?
solidshark91493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I would. Also noticed one set of the 6" foams has the tuning ring and one set doesn't. My guess is the set without em was just mispackaged
Old 04-04-2017, 08:24 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I just picked up ssd beadlocks and hyrax on order for my 8lb wraith. I too am not sure if i go 5.5 or 6.0 foams.
What about reg or comp cut? Its just a basher trail wraith, kinda a bomber....
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

6" CI foams have a larger closed cell inner and a tuning ring. Pull the ring off and they're the same as 5.5". I run 6" foams on all my taller tires (hyrax, jconcepts scorpios & ruptures and voodoo pins) to help stability.

Comp cut is just a cut around the outside of the foam to help keep the outer foam from sliding. It also softens up a big hit if you slam into the inner foam.

I've ran both and haven't really noticed a clear advantage either way. So I buy whichever is in stock at the time.

Outer foam density depends completely on rig weight and intended usage. A bomber would be good with mediums all around for general bashing and some crawling.

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 04-04-2017 at 08:32 AM.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

I order the 5.5 DD Comp Cut inner/ soft outers, and PL Hyrax tires.

The weight of my rig is 7.5 lbs

I'll post back when I get them
Aven31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #19

I bought tge CI DD 5.5s....non comp cut....we are gonna try them on some vanquish methods soon..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
huntinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:37 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Sorry guys, didn't mean to go awol... I got around to installing the foams last night, wheels won't be here til next week so no testing yet. I went with the DD 6.0 comp cut med in front and firm in the rear (when they are mounted). The comp cut inner has several grooves in it to allow the outer to flex a bit more. Both sets have an outer ring and I used it for all tires. It was a tight fit but I did one with and one without and I liked it better with it. I have 5.5 DD in my stock kit tires and with the amount they have compressed from when they were first installed is what made me decide to use the outer ring. You can deffenetly tell the difference between medium and firm. I would say that the medium has decent tread flex and the firm has what I would consider to be the least amount of flex you would want but I know that will change once they are installed on my beast. She's gonna end up 11+ lbs. I feel like they will settle in to be just right and on a side note these hyrax tires are super flexible and really sticky. They are my first set of aftermarket crawler tires and I am very excited to see what I can do with them. I will say that I did not expect them to be as big as they are, they are on the edge of being XL like the swampers so im glad i have a good servo. That's all I got so far. When I get them mounted and tested I'll check back unless I can answer any questions for anyone?

What CI foams for hyrax? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The rookies hyrax review THE ROOKIE Tires and Wheels 72 04-22-2017 08:22 PM
My Hyrax Review dna4engr Tires and Wheels 98 04-20-2017 10:37 PM
Bad 1.9 Hyrax? Oldgreg Tires and Wheels 15 03-24-2017 12:26 PM