Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: My Hyrax Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My Hyrax Review

As soon as these were announced, they piqued my interest. Then they went on preorder at tower and I jumped. Luckily they showed up the night before leaving for crawlapalooza

I set them up with the same foams I had on my pitbull growlers. 4.5 lil nova two stage. Soft up front and med in rear.

The comp courses at crawlapalooza were challenging for a heavier rig. These tires pulled lines and grabbed where others couldn't. Yes I know the rock at Disney is like Velcro, but it was dang impressive. I didn't place on the podium but 1 less gate and I would have been top 5.

Even with the softer outers the sidewalks held very well. Forward bite was maximum. Even after playing in the water for a while they would just grab like a claw.

On day 2 it was hill climb time. This truck has plenty of horsepower so it flew up the dirt hill. The front end lifting slightly off the ground and the start. But staying planted once they made contact again. I had set the time to beat and ended up in 3rd place after I was beaten by the same Bomber with 1.9 tires run by two different drivers. Still happy as the fastest 1.9 rig up the hill.

Yesterday we held our first full TTC. I ran this rig in the 1,9 class. It performed amazingly well.

On the rocks the tires were grabbing slick rocks as well as normal ones. The dirt from the hill climb and truck pull hills was no match for these things. Sidehiling on the obstacle course was outstanding with the tires finding just enough traction. In the frame twister I was able to make some wet log climbs I was confident it couldn't.

Then in the mud pit these tires shines again. The mud was filthy thick clay. The Holmes hobbies motor kept the wheels spinning and the hyrax consistently cleaned out (as you'd expect from the spacing). I made it the furthest in the mud pit...just an inch short of finishing.

The tank trap was a good mix of everything and the tires worked well in everything from dirt, to mud to rocks, to wet logs.

Luckily she held together with my driving style and I was lucky to get 1st.

All I need to know now is when do the 2.2s come out ;)
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My Hyrax Review

Mine are on the way as we speak, can't wait to compare these to my new RockBeast XLs. Thanks for sharing your review and congrats on the hardware.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

First weekend out and already labeled as being amazing. Riiiiight.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Where's your smiley-face at the end of that statement?

Heck, it's his review, on his rig, and he got 1st place.... jeez.

Nothings perfect for everyone - you might not think they're any good if you got some and ran them on your rig in your terrain.

He had a great experience and reported it.

End of story.

Oh, yeah - and they're 1.9", which you think "suck" by any brand, according to your sig block... bias much?

Comment on someone's 2S battery review next.

You rip on anything scaler-related anyway - but it's "OK" because you seem to think your emojis make up for it. (they do help, a little - but you overdo it)

How's about us getting along instead?

I'm not being thin-skinned here, either - I'm a 50-somethin' former USMC Infantry 81mm Mortarman , so I've had far worse screamed in my face along with the spittle that came with it.

Rock on, my man...

Last edited by durok; 10-17-2016 at 04:08 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Where's your smiley-face at the end of that statement?

Heck, it's his review, on his rig, and he got 1st place.... jeez.

Nothings perfect for everyone - you might not think they're any good if you got some and ran them on your rig in your terrain.

He had a great experience and reported it.

End of story.

Oh, yeah - and they're 1.9", which you think "suck" by any brand, according to your sig block... bias much?

Comment on someone's 2S battery review next.

You rip on anything scaler-related anyway - but it's "OK" because you seem to think your emojis make up for it. (they do help, a little - but you overdo it)

How's about us getting along instead?

I'm not being thin-skinned here, either - I'm a 50-somethin' former USMC Infantry 81mm Mortarman , so I've had far worse screamed in my face along with the spittle that came with it.

Rock on, my man...

You're thinking waaay too hard about this.

At this point in time i see it as new parts syndrome. Period, end of story. 99% of the time when a new widget hits the market the first 10 or so reviews are extolling the greatness of the widget. People run out and buy it then 2 months later the classifieds are flooded with widgets.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:52 PM   #6
"GOD SPEED"

I can say seeing these tires first had I was rather impressed with them, especially in all kinds of different material how well lugs cleaned themselves out, I do not have a set, just my opinion on what I seen from the trucks that were running them, I wouldn't hesitate myself to get a set.

"GOD SPEED"
nerby149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post

(the rest snipped for brevity)
Thanks for the emoji...

I'll be running my stock R35 Axial Baja 2.2's for quite a while, but if these continue to get excellent reviews for varied terrain, I'll add them to my short list as possible eventual replacements on my RR10.

Last edited by durok; 10-17-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I'll be running my stock R35 Axial Baja 2.2's for quite a while, but if these continue to get excellent reviews for varied terrain, I'll add them to my short list as possible eventual replacements on my RR10.
If they make them in 2.2
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:14 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post

At this point in time i see it as new parts syndrome. Period, end of story. 99% of the time when a new widget hits the market the first 10 or so reviews are extolling the greatness of the widget. People run out and buy it then 2 months later the classifieds are flooded with widgets.
**cough KLRs cough**

Our comp season starts Sunday so I should really see them in action then. I have seen a couple of the local guys running them but I cant really judge their performance off how little I have been able to watch them. I do know one guy was running stock foams and did not vent the tires and there were a few lines I was able to pull that he couldn't, but I wasn't able to pull those with the stock foams in my RBXLs either.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
If they make them in 2.2
Aww, hell - I'll just stretch 'em...

There is that. But, knowing Pro-Line - they'll release them in 2.2" soon enough.

Last edited by durok; 10-17-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
**cough KLRs cough**

And U4's etc. The dude got first in the ttc with the new tires. My money says he's a good driver and has a bit of good luck. The "best" equipment on the market can't make a ham fisted tard drive good.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I disagree. KLRs and U4s were never good. Insert emoji here
Old 10-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
I disagree. KLRs and U4s were never good. Insert emoji here
I heard U4s were great if you cut off half of the lugs, vent them with a unicorn horn, and soak them in virgin leprechaun blood for 87 days.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I heard they were great once you replace them with a better tire.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:28 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the humor guys... seriously.

Anyways:

dna4engr, thanks for the detailed and well written review - and cool pics!

Congrats on the win, as well.

That trophy looks dangerous, don't get caught with it in your 1:1....
Old 10-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I can't wait to try mine out. I've got the Proline two stage foams on order, heard they help too. Ignore the pointless criticism posts (I hate when threads are filled with that nonsense). Great review! Tires either work or they don't - and that's specific to the terrain. No tire is perfect, but I'm hoping these are damn close!
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:14 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Iv got a pair and love them!!!!
ossipeecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:08 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I saw these tires run at Disney. Seemed to hook pretty well. I did see them folding under on one rig but that could have been a poor foam set up. I was able to fondle one and the compound seems a bit stiff. Maybe they break in? It boils down to confidence in your tire. Run what works for your style. And my beat up old KLRs brought me to the podium 5 times. And my pins got me there twice. So yea, those are working for me..

Name:  14642521_10154411853012891_6179354341162799171_n.jpg
Views: 4067
Size:  169.8 KB
JOEY_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:24 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I heard U4s were great if you cut off half of the lugs, vent them with a unicorn horn, and soak them in virgin leprechaun blood for 87 days.
That would definitely make them hook up... Not sure if everyone is aware that the U4 is NOT a crawling tire. It's designed for Ultra 4 racing style. So anyone putting these on a crawling rig would probably say they suck. But that's just someone who is not well informed and a complete misapplication of the tire. However, the U4 holds more rock racing podium spots than any other 2.2 tire. So there's that..
JOEY_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:32 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Does the "I'm better than you" attitude come with every voodoo tire purchase or do you have to buy it separate? Last I checked this is a review of proline hyrax not klrs.

So there's that.....

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
xXxCheeziexXx is offline   Reply With Quote

My Hyrax Review - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new TX review Locked Up Electronics 94 10-01-2008 01:37 PM
R-2 Review ToyotaKing88 General Scale Talk 7 01-04-2007 02:51 PM