Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Pinchflat's SCX10 "WTF am I going to build" Build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #61
Sinking with the ship

I dunno man, I was feeling that murdered out black look...looked plain evil
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #62
Say hello to my dactylion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
I dunno man, I was feeling that murdered out black look...looked plain evil
Didn't you know Lt. Blue is the new Murder Black?

I'm thinking about some graphics on the body... Hmmm... Black & grey old school stripes maybe???
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat View Post
Didn't you know Lt. Blue is the new Murder Black?

I'm thinking about some graphics on the body... Hmmm... Black & grey old school stripes maybe???
Like the old school factory stripes coming up & across the door ?? That might be sweet.
poorboyrc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyrc77 View Post
Like the old school factory stripes coming up & across the door ?? That might be sweet.
Yes Exactly.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

Okay. After a little thought , I'm ready to see it now lol. Wish I was this good.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #66
Rock Stacker

write "PinchFlat" in old english vato then accent that schit w/ some Rainbow ghost flames...........you want respect don't you?
pig bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Straws or those fuzzy pipe cleaner things we had in elementary school work well. The pipe cleaners work pretty good because the metal will hold form.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
The fuzzy pipe cleaners work good like mentioned, or you can build it out of styrene rod, which is cheap and easy to bend and bond and it will look exactly like the steel tube will look.
(smacks forehead) Pipe cleaners!! Damn do I feel like a dumb noob right now. What a cheap and simple solution. Thanks guys.

I am really impressed. That turned out looking fantastic once it was painted. Excellent job dude.

Quote:
Just GO FOR IT!!!!!! That's how I learned.
I just need to find a hotter torch. I'm not too bad with brass and solder, but I use a little Benz-o-matic to do it. Ain't cuttin it for brass brazing! Thanks for the inspiration...

Last edited by Big Mike; 09-18-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:19 PM   #68

Thanks guys... & Big Mike... I use just map gas it gets plenty hot.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks guys... & Big Mike... I use just map gas it gets plenty hot.
Just the standard rig from Lowes that screws on the top of a tank?

I rounded up my oxy/acetelyne rig over the weekend, it was buried in my dads basement because I haven't used it in like 10 years. I even found the small brazing tips, so I should be good to go. The oxygen bottle was still full, I just need to take a trip to the welding supply and swap the gas bottle for a full one and pick up some brazing rod.

I'm at the point of no return now. I stripped the lexan CGR body of all it's scale accouterments and shelved it. Stripped all the Pro-Line bumpers and sliders off the chassis, re-mounted the winch, and reworked the rear links so the wheelbase is back at stock length.

I found some big black pipe cleaners at Wal-Mart. After playin around with them for a few hours, I have a much clearer idea of how I'm going to approach the rear and sides.

The front wouldn't be tough either, but I've decided to maybe try an exo-cage as well. What is going to be tough to figure out is how to keep the body removable for battery swaps. I may end up keeping it to the standard front bumper, side rails, and rear cage.

You guys who have done these kinds of builds, do you have removeable bodies or dedicate one high-mah battery to the truck that you charge on-board?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Just the standard rig from Lowes that screws on the top of a tank?

I rounded up my oxy/acetelyne rig over the weekend, it was buried in my dads basement because I haven't used it in like 10 years. I even found the small brazing tips, so I should be good to go. The oxygen bottle was still full, I just need to take a trip to the welding supply and swap the gas bottle for a full one and pick up some brazing rod.

I'm at the point of no return now. I stripped the lexan CGR body of all it's scale accouterments and shelved it. Stripped all the Pro-Line bumpers and sliders off the chassis, re-mounted the winch, and reworked the rear links so the wheelbase is back at stock length.

I found some big black pipe cleaners at Wal-Mart. After playin around with them for a few hours, I have a much clearer idea of how I'm going to approach the rear and sides.

The front wouldn't be tough either, but I've decided to maybe try an exo-cage as well. What is going to be tough to figure out is how to keep the body removable for battery swaps. I may end up keeping it to the standard front bumper, side rails, and rear cage.

You guys who have done these kinds of builds, do you have removeable bodies or dedicate one high-mah battery to the truck that you charge on-board?
Right on... The oxy/acetelyne rig will work great. Yes I use the standard screw on Lowes rig.... A bit clunky but it does the job. Some day I'll pick up a Smith Little torch & do an Oxy/Mapp set up.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #71

So I got to the bed this weekend. Just a basic black styrene base skinned with some scale diamond plate. All I need to do is shoot it all black.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

this came together quickly.

Can't wait for color
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #73
Rock Crawler

The bed turned out awsome man. What about a small tool box on the front next to the cab to put your winch gear in ? Or has that idea been over used already ?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #74
RCC Addict

rig coming along great, neat ideas.
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Well, I've managed to totally waste 8 feet of brakeline today.

Is there some kind of formula for taking the radius of the bend into account when you're taking measurements? It's frickin impossible to make anything symetrical.

Or do you just start with 100 feet of tubing and keep trying until you get it right by trail and error?
Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #76
Hateraide

build looks good,

and Big Mike i beleive you mark it where the middle of the bend is going to be if i remember correctly
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
build looks good,

and Big Mike i beleive you mark it where the middle of the bend is going to be if i remember correctly
That seems to be the case, I'm sort of "splitting the difference" if you know what I mean. I've wasted a good bit of tubing today, but I have learned quite a bit and have got 5 pieces bent up that I should be able to use for the back. It's been trial and error so far, but I'm thinking the material waste is going to get more reasonable here tomorrow since I seem to be getting the hang of it.

At least brakeline is pretty cheap better than wasting chro-moly tubing or stainless or something else more expensive.

I went out to Graingers at lunch and got a decent bender (my homemade unit works very good for solid rod, but my attempt to make dies for tubing did not work too well!) that has the graduations marked on the side, and a mark for bending left of your measurement or right depending on which way it's facing, but my problem seems to be the tubing sliding in the bender as I manipulate it, its throwing off the dimensions. Once I figure out the nuances of the tool I'll be rolling.

Then I get to figure out how I'm going to jig everything together so I can braze it
Old 09-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #78

Thanks Guys... Got a coat of paint on the bed.. I'll post pics when it dries..

Mike, I just ben by trial & error I know there are formulas you can use but I can't remember them from my rebar days (but they might just be for solid rod) & don't know where to find them. Electricians use them when bending conduit. Find one of them & pick their brain.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 PM   #79

Bed all painted up...

Also mounted the Hi-lift (via K2's o-ring trick) & sized up a spare in the back.

Mounted the real wheels & tires & of course the mandatory poser arty shots.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #80
20K Club

You two did a great job on the twins. I need to take a look at your guys' scale series.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote