Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Hacked up Newbright TJ (first rig and post!)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #61
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by toka100 View Post
dam this truck just keeps getting better and better....lol
2nd, original and wild, maybe add some fake rust?
jaytet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltinemadness View Post
haha! holy shit! yeah yours is the one i was actually talking about copying! i just couldn't remember who built it. i was gonna do the cage the same as you did by the seats too, except i started my dovetail right at the doors, so i had to wrap the cage around the seats and mount it in the middle. I think i'm gonna leave my windshield on mine though. yeah yours looked sick, i saved your images on my comp to use as a reference when i was dovetailing mine!

Im glad my piece of junk inspired someone! i was playin with it like a day after it was done and it dropped off a big ledge and broke the whole front clip off, so i scrap'd it.... i might take the cage and build a full chassis out of it tho.

I hope yours turns out sweet!!
jeeper03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 AM   #63

Default W.o.w.

dang. very nice detail on all these parts bro! the pictures are really show off the quality you put into this rig and i must say i am very, VERY impressed.
it's a long way down the road before i do something like this.
You have had your inspirations and now i've just added another, .

keep up the good work!
jmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #64
Pebble Pounder

thanks, i think i'm gonna work on it some more today
saltinemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #65
RCC Addict

Lookin awesome!!

Reminds me of mine:

JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #66
Pebble Pounder

i've been thinking about rearsteer pretty seriously... i definitely have room for it! rust would be cool.

Thanks for the words!
Old 06-15-2011, 01:13 AM   #67
RCC Addict

This is my Jeep.

How she looks today:

Wild trial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #68
Pebble Pounder

dayummmmmmm!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:56 AM   #69
Pebble Pounder

Default Need some help / ideas

Okay guys,
I have the panhard bar in and working perfectly. Only problem is, after shortening the front so much and the fact that my panhard bar tucks up into the frame, i have limited servo space.

Questions:
1. has anyone ever done BTA steering to a basically stock SCX10? if so, could someone please show me the thread.

2. is there a manufacturer that makes high clearance "ambidextrous" knuckles? ... like one knuckle in the set has double ackerman arms that would allow me to at least run the tie rod in front of the axle but have the drag link mounted to the "double ackerman armed" knuckle behind the axle?

The new panhard bar with new 3 / 4 link truss:

_DSC0003 by saltinemadness, on Flickr

Compressed-it goes down the whole way, the right side is up because i was trying to hold the camera still more, than squish the crawler, but everything DOES cycle perfectly... nothing rubs or bumps or stops short.

_DSC0006 by saltinemadness, on Flickr

But this is the room i have to work with behind the panhard bar:

_DSC0004 by saltinemadness, on Flickr

it's so close to being done though!

_DSC0011 by saltinemadness, on Flickr

Does anyone have any ideas? I think zero ackerman knuckles will help too (with BTA steering), but i don't know if they'll fit with my boggers and the offset of the tango down rims.

I basically have to do BTA steering because i don't have room to run the drag link up front
Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

i couldent run a panhard bar on my rig
Erik R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Egressor makes some knuckles for you that'd work. Or just run VP zero ack knuckles backwards, you should be fine. I'll get you the link in a bit.
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltinemadness View Post

2. is there a manufacturer that makes high clearance "ambidextrous" knuckles? ... like one knuckle in the set has double ackerman arms that would allow me to at least run the tie rod in front of the axle but have the drag link mounted to the "double ackerman armed" knuckle behind the axle?
You're looking for these, ya?

Just like this, but swapped around....

Some other options.

Hope that helps some. He's got quite a few more options for you as well as CVD's and lockers. The lockers are bad ass as well as the CVD's.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163665
Old 06-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Does the axle cycle to the side at all when compressed? If it does, remember, you'll need to mount the drag link from the servo to the passanger knuckle to eliminate it as much as possible. It will also help if the length of the drag link is the same as the length of the panhard bar and the angle from hole to hole is the same as the panhard bar. If the agnles are off, it'll cause bump steer and if you put the drag link to the drivers side knuckle, it'll also cause bump steer. Just a thought. I think you did a great job with it, it'll just make the mounting of the servo a challenge. But then again, you could always do a scale looking steering gearbox with pushrods to the remote mounted steering servo. It'd free up lots of room in the front and let you place the servo wherever you wanted.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #74
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Guy View Post
You're looking for these, ya?

Just like this, but swapped around....

Some other options.

Hope that helps some. He's got quite a few more options for you as well as CVD's and lockers. The lockers are bad ass as well as the CVD's.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163665
YES that is exactly what i'm talking about!! i'll have to send some cash his way. THANK YOU
Old 06-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Sure thing. Did you ever put your work out weights in the super swampers? Those are 1.9's, right?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #76
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Does the axle cycle to the side at all when compressed? If it does, remember, you'll need to mount the drag link from the servo to the passanger knuckle to eliminate it as much as possible. It will also help if the length of the drag link is the same as the length of the panhard bar and the angle from hole to hole is the same as the panhard bar. If the agnles are off, it'll cause bump steer and if you put the drag link to the drivers side knuckle, it'll also cause bump steer. Just a thought. I think you did a great job with it, it'll just make the mounting of the servo a challenge. But then again, you could always do a scale looking steering gearbox with pushrods to the remote mounted steering servo. It'd free up lots of room in the front and let you place the servo wherever you wanted.
it does cycle a little to the side, but returns to it's original position at the top of the cycle... (kind of swings). yeah i know i need to mount the drag link to the passenger side knuckle, but i think it's just going to have to be a little longer than the panhard. We'll just have to see what happens. i could just redo the truss and have a panhard mounting tab where it bolts to the axle like everyone else's. Tell me more about this steering gearbox and pushrods? i don't think i've ever seen this sort of thing on an scx10. i think i know what you're talking about though... kinda like a rack and pinion steering system?
Old 06-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #77
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Sure thing. Did you ever put your work out weights in the super swampers? Those are 1.9's, right?
nah, i have just the foams they came with in them right now... i'm gonna put the memory foam in them and then just use lead weights... but if the cage makes it too top heavy, i'll try putting the wrist weights in em. makes the truck super heavy, but holy $hit, talk about traction... i would rarely roll over. *yeah they're 1.9s*

Last edited by saltinemadness; 06-21-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 06-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #78
Quarry Creeper

The best way I can describe it is like a bellcrank for buggies or stadium trucks. You could find one or make one with a 1" or .75" lower arm, 90* offset with a larger upper arm than lower to give you better leverage. Here's a few pictures from my XB8. It's beefy and doesn't need to be this crazy but you'll get the idea.

Last edited by NGreen; 06-21-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #79
Quarry Creeper

Or like this one for the T-maxx

Last edited by NGreen; 06-21-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #80
Rock Stacker

I really like this jeep. I am currently building a c1 new bright jk
George Conway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bent links, jeep tj, newbright, saltinemadness, scx-10