Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: jebster's scx10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default jebster's scx10

decided to give a scaler a try. picked up an scx10 in trade and have been working on it. still has a ways to go but i decided get a build thread started.
picked up the body/exo-cage from someone on rcc and i love it. working on the mounting yet but have a good idea.
have a goat 3s and 18.5 brushless combo to drop in.

here are a couple pics:
Attached Images

jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: jebster's scx10

working spyderwebbcustoms on a custom trail trailer. looking forward to how it comes out. here is an example of the type of hitch i'm hoping to get on the truck:
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

saw this setup for someones trailer suspension. interesting...
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I don't currently have one. I'm going to be running a novak 18.5 brushless motor and pulling a trailer. Any thoughts?

oh yeah, i'll be running 2s lipos with a goat 3s esc.

any advice from the experts? slipper or not? thanks.

pretty much done. added some bars to the exo cage and got it all painted. considering this was the first time i've ever brazed i think it came out good. got the electronics all in (winch, winch controller with bec to regulate voltage, goat 3s with 18.5 bl, hitec servo). i wanted easy access to everything so i came up with a nice hinge idea. the front of the exo cage bolts to the front of the chassis and i have a pin that slides through a tube on the rear. works great. i need to do a few more clean and accessory things but she is running and i love it. next up is a trailer (have spyderwebcustoms coming up with something).

here are some current pics:
Attached Images

Last edited by THX_138; 06-29-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Mean machine You got there sir.. How do You like the 18.5 motor?
qwkjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #6

2 switches?...one for the BEC, and one for the ESC? nice work.
2012Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Honcho View Post
2 switches?...one for the BEC, and one for the ESC? nice work.
just kind of worked out that way. used the bec that came with the goat 3s to run the winch off the battery. since i can control the winch from the transmitter the onboard switch isn't really needed but it comes in handy when i let my son run the truck. he liked to run out the winch line then drive. not good! so now i shut off the winch when he runs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwkjimmy View Post
Mean machine You got there sir.. How do You like the 18.5 motor?
thanks. it is the crawler 18.5 so it has awesome low end control. not a speed demon but ok. i might bump up the pinion a couple from the 14t i have to give it a little more speed.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

i decided to work on the hitch. i don't have the right equipment to tack weld a plate onto my rear bumper so i went another way. drilled a couple holes in some derlin plate then used a piece of sheet aluminum to clamp it tight to the bumper. came out nice. still need to paint my existing trailer and get some matching wheels on it. but the big thing to come is the custom trailer i'm having made. we'll see that soon (i hope!).

i also decided to change the wheels up. when with black hubs and polished aluminum beadlock rings. i like this much better than what i had.

can't wait to get this rig outside and expand my rock course for a scaler. a couple pics of the new work:
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #9

Nice job on the hitch
Buckaloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

i have proline scaler shocks on my scx but the rear sags when i hook up my trailer. do they make spring assortment packs for these shocks? i want something firmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaloose View Post
Nice job on the hitch
thanks. it came together pretty well. next on my list is to mount up a mini deans as a trailer hitch plug that will allow me to light it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
i have proline scaler shocks on my scx but the rear sags when i hook up my trailer. do they make spring assortment packs for these shocks? i want something firmer.
i do like the dual stage spring on the proline shocks so i want to stick with that. so, anyone out there drop on some firmer springs? i need to tear them down anyone and i'll get some spring measurements but if someone already has recommendations i'd appreciate the input.

Added some firmer springs and the truck feels much more stable. I also fixed something that has bothered me. When I flip the lid up to change batteries or get under the Hood the top flops forward and bangs into everything. I was sitting at work and saw a recoiling badge holder and it gave me an idea! A few minutes later I had it installed. Works like a charm.

I'm also getting closer to finishing up my trailer. Add spare tire mount (small picture frame hangers), got the TCS toolbox installed (used magnets to hold it in place), added extra support to the frame (brass square tube), made up a cargo net and added a few scale accessories (shovel, pry bar, jack, sand ladders, etc). Still needs a better paint job and finish up the lights but its close. I have to admit it is fun running the trails with a trailer in tow. Now for a few pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by THX_138; 06-29-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Likewise nice truck!
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Sweet rig. How did you make the cargo net? I have been wanting to do one and can't quite figure it out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Tin Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:16 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Soldier View Post
Sweet rig. How did you make the cargo net? I have been wanting to do one and can't quite figure it out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
got the idea from the following thread: Homebrew scale cargo net

as he pointed out be sure to use a good quality ca glue. i didn't and have white spots on the knots. luckly they are all on one side so i just flipped it so they face down and you can't see it.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Been running the rig for some time without much change. Working well. I decided to add some lighting. I have some buckets laying around I decided to use. I am looking for opinions. I was thinking of adding a protective frame over the lights. One loop over with a couple tubes angled back for support. So, buckets only or buckets with protection?
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Decided to go with the tube frame over the lights. Came out nice. While I was at it I painted the frame and put on a new burlap canvas over the bed.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Sold a rig and decided to splurge on my scx10. Sweet!
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Beautiful rig, until the tracks. Not a big fan of those, personally, but the rest of the rig is aces!
FattyMcJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
I joined the Band!

im all bout the tracks.. almost bought a pair when i was 17... but thought $5k was too much...
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Those tracks really work???? Man it doesn't snow here or I'd have some of them bad boyz.
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcJ View Post
Beautiful rig, until the tracks. Not a big fan of those, personally, but the rest of the rig is aces!
thanks for the feedback on the rig. i do like it and it is one of my favorite builds. as far as the tracks go i know they are not for everyone and i don't expect them to perform better than wheels but since i first got into rc over 30yrs ago i've always wanted a tracked vehicle. decided to give it a try. if i end up hating them i have another scx10 i can put them on to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
im all bout the tracks.. almost bought a pair when i was 17... but thought $5k was too much...
we'll mine weren't $5k but it still hurt shelling out the money. (got a deal from rpp hobby on black friday!)

jebster's scx10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
jebster's creeper jebster Venom Creeper 272 08-10-2015 04:21 AM
jebster's xr10 jebster Axial XR10 103 12-21-2012 11:44 AM
jebster's backyard rock course jebster General Crawlers 25 07-16-2012 06:41 PM
jebster's bully jebster RC4WD Bully 32 04-10-2012 10:33 AM
jebster's foff...maybe? jebster Formula Offroad 57 03-28-2012 09:32 PM