Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Dodge Honcho aka the Doncho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Dodge Honcho aka the Doncho

So Here it is, My Doncho! My Dodge Honcho.

Originally Converted from a 4 door New Bright Jeep hard body.
Spiike's SCX10 Jeep 4 Door (Caution Picture Heavy)

Which most of you all have seen and loved so far!
Name:  2012-08-11 15.28.16.jpg
Views: 8098
Size:  63.1 KB

Here I'm testing the fit and seeing what I need to do, what I need to think about, what needs to be done before punching holes for the body posts.
Name:  2012-08-10 20.15.23.jpg
Views: 2830
Size:  48.9 KB

I've had to go ahead and strip the jeep down to chassis
Name:  SAM_4281.jpg
Views: 2667
Size:  88.7 KB

Got a new remote the 4 channel, just need losikid to make me a tq4 true 3 position adapter so that I can use the 3 position switch for my winch.
Name:  2012-08-08 17.03.55.jpg
Views: 2830
Size:  92.2 KB

Here I painted the honcho roll cage bed, bought it from my brother in law.
Name:  2012-08-11 19.52.58.jpg
Views: 3631
Size:  56.8 KB

Installed Headlights of course, I love making my RC's light up, probably my favourite part about building! Using the same light system I had with the jeep, just a regular on/off switch with deans hijacked off the battery pack with a resistor on each LED.
Name:  2012-08-13 04.34.02.jpg
Views: 2507
Size:  49.3 KB
Name:  2012-08-13 04.34.33.jpg
Views: 2508
Size:  51.2 KB

Fitted everything and accessorized a bit.
Name:  2012-08-13 15.41.15.jpg
Views: 2594
Size:  66.8 KB

Bought some light housings to make a nice light bar
Name:  2012-08-13 16.50.13.jpg
Views: 2540
Size:  63.3 KB
Installed the lightbar (I will get more pictures, fiance has the camera, I'm using my samsung galaxy ace to take pictures) There is another link from the 3 link setup that I used on the otherside of the lighbar cage, the peices were from the rear of the roll cage, where the tire would hit because of the shortness of this body, because it is not a cru-cab body. the body with the actual box on measures to be 10.5" wheelbase. SO i compromised. cut the box off and used the honcho roll cage.
Name:  2012-08-14 08.25.37.jpg
Views: 3600
Size:  120.3 KB

And some pictures for your viewing pleasures.
Name:  2012-08-12 14.38.05.jpg
Views: 2541
Size:  71.0 KB
Name:  2012-08-14 08.36.09.jpg
Views: 7068
Size:  93.7 KB
Name:  2012-08-14 08.36.32.jpg
Views: 3054
Size:  78.6 KB
Name:  2012-08-14 08.36.23.jpg
Views: 2535
Size:  106.9 KB
Name:  2012-08-14 08.32.31.jpg
Views: 2568
Size:  113.7 KB

Here is my next project, I bought a pro line 4 dr jeep body from my lhs. pre-ordered the dingo kit, and paid for it, so when it gets here in sept its mine. apparently there are some back order blah blah blah. but i'll put the bumper on the dodge, and the jeep bumper on the jeep again. but at least ill be working with a 12.6" wheel base body vs a 13" wheelbase body. Anyways thats for another thread.!
Name:  2012-08-17 17.13.48.jpg
Views: 2749
Size:  83.7 KB

Electric Specs.

Waterproofed Novak Super rooster
waterproofed Hi-tech 645mg
55T Novak Ballistic (from the m2 dig combo)
3 racing motor heatsink
CC BEC 10a
My Homemade Lights.
4500mah true power 8.6v 7cell
3600mah electricfly 8.6v 7 cell

Specs. and Hardware.

Aluminum Turn knuckles
Aluminum C-hubs
Ax-10 universal axles and CVDs
MIP driveshafts
RPP Solid output shaft and gear.
RPP solid drive gear
RPP 12 tooth pinion installed (+13t, 15t, 17t, 19t, 21t, 25t in toolkit)
Traxxas rod ends, Homemade links, threaded rod and aluminum tubing.
Homemade 4 linked
Spur gear cover.
pro-line Accessories.

Mickey Thomsons Baja Claws from rc4wd (they are going to be swapped onto the jeep body. undecided what tires going to use on here, may buy iroks or rock lox or ripsaws in 2.2?)

Whats changed from the jeep? not too much, I definitally shorted the wheel base, so that I could mount the bumper where it was stock. i changed the angle of the input to the rear differential. I changed the angle of both shocks, because the front tire turning radius grew, it rubbed on the shocks. I still may buy some shocks for this bad boy to get a better steering angle, and i may bend the links a little more, see if traxxas makes bent rod ends or angled. to keep the front links away from the tires a little more. Switching from the jeep to the doncho shed roughly 1lbs of weight from having the hardbody from new bright. but this dodge is also a radio shack truck, but i love the interior! (Will post more pictures)

Enjoy!

Last edited by Spiike; 03-21-2016 at 07:22 AM.
Spiike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Dodge Honcho aka the Doncho

Nice Doncho! I really like the look of these cabs with the tube bed! good stuff!
a2hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thank you! It definitally looks good, and its a bit less top heavy compared to my old Newbright jeep body! I'm finding myself doing a few things more! than the jeep couldn't just because of the weight! I can't wait to to play with the proline jeep on the new chassis! lol
Old 08-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Hey, to be fair, you had a big body with a really heavy battery up higher then it could be. proper weight distribution makes a big difference. Also, it looks like you h ad to mount it much higher to fit the tires all that makes a difference Now that you reduce cab/bed weight your battery doesnt affect it as bad, and those big tires help a bit im sure ;)

I have to prove you wrong now where do you live lets have a mini comp ;)

lol just playin

anywho, good stuff man keep em coming!

Last edited by a2hill; 08-20-2012 at 04:18 PM.
a2hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

nice work man! I've always had land rover bodies for my RC, and a lot of them, but I'm really leaning towards a Dodge or Ford next. Thanks for the inspiration
George014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Damn...... What Dodge Body is that. Been looking for a Ram body for a while.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys,

the body is a radio shack brand from the 90s lol. fed the tires to the dog and threw the electronics away and kept the body, I had to cut the box off because the wheelbase was 10" or so. i have a skinny gmc body as well, but i have yet to find out what i want to do with it, because the tires stick out an inch on all sides and it is also a 10" wheelbase!

I will definitally keep them coming so long as i'm alive, i've got the scale bug!

I'm loving the weight on this truck! i may try lipo one day, some small 1200-1500mah batteries, would like to buy 3 at once, and change the location of my battery. Buy a smaller lighter esc

I have yet to paint the body, i just stripped the stickers and left it be cause it looked so good.

I also used a peice of styrene to complete the back of the cab. forgot to mention that.,

I may also put the rear tailgate and box back on, thinking of ways i can easily mount them solid, or have them detatch, but I have some modifying to do of the bumper and side panels before they will fit. gotta order some new leds to. got some ideas that i'm not sharing yet, till i finish and take pictures

i'm still interested in learning how to make my own turn signals, i just needs the wiring diagram and a shopping list, just need something to read the signal of the servo.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Put the spur gear cover on.

then removed the jeeps bumper and put on the dingo bumper.

thought it matched good. now i just need 2.2 wheels and rubbers. thinking iroks.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i was loving it until i saw the light bar on the rollcage . the dingo bumper looks alot better on it. good job hope to see more.
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Agreed the light bar on roll cage doesn't really flow. Love the dodge body though

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I know, found it for cheap, and thats the only way I could make that bar look okay.. its not the greatest. maybe when i get some cash i'll find a better fitting lightbar for my dodge, thanks for looking !

oh and check out my new rig.

Spiike's Yellow 4dr Jeep
Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i would just mount the light bar to the back of the stock honcho cage facing forward. do way with that cover bar. its rpm so it wont break. its not the lights that are bad its just the bar holding just dosnt look right. great looking truck though
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toka100 View Post
i would just mount the light bar to the back of the stock honcho cage facing forward. do way with that cover bar. its rpm so it wont break. its not the lights that are bad its just the bar holding just dosnt look right. great looking truck though
i'll try that again, that was my first choice, but the lights wouldn't touch the ground, i was literally lighting the sky that way. This way the lights are actually touching the ground and are functional! Like I say it was cheap! However, i agree with you guys, the lights will move!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

i've changed the lightbar a little, looks quite a bit better and fit better than i thought. just to test, i'll upload pictures later after i finish doing my other project.

OH! i've got overdrive gears in front axle, not a heck of a lot of difference, but i only tested in night driving, i may have to take the rig up the mountain and test some. I didn't get the underdrive gears for the rear, because i thought it would be enough, but for being a trail, and rock crawler i'm liking the results!

and i got the ripsaws on now, need to wear them in a bit, they were looking too clean. transfered the mickey thomsons baja claws to the jeep, because i may get new tires all around one day.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Man that thing looks like a beast! Nice work.
I'm curious to see how you like the over drive gears only on the rocks/hills...i was going to do the same on my JK. Keep us updated
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #16

that is pretty beast lets be honest rams are beast!!!!!!!!! dodge guy here my old 1:1 dodge was set up as a prerunner!
tpurdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

thanks guys, and nice lookin dodge there!!
Old 03-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Ill be swapping the 2 channel remote to this beast and I also setup behind the steering and moved the shocks. I managed to get a battery to play with but it is old and doesn't last long anymore. Anyways. I found some epoxy structure adhesive filled some scratches and I'm probably going to do paint touch up. Airbrush or just brush. Not sure yet. Found a few pictures so Ican swap the 3rd channel and 4/5 channel on the remote so i can finally take advantage of the 3 way switch for the remote so I can use the winch on my jeep. Ill probably run the lights on ch3 so I can remotely turn them off. Did some modifications to the truck. Moved the electronics. Hoping to pick up some new bumpers? We shall see! I also been spending time with the old styrene stuff. I got some tricks up my sleeve. Outta been like 3 years since I done much with my trucks because my 5 kids take up a lot of time. But I'm making time for my favourite hobby. Building remote controls rock crawler with no money lol.

Ill post pictures soon
Old 04-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Hey all, long time. I got some pictures for you.

I bought the new bumpers and tires the other day, and took some tinkering, and got it on. Painted my body. I had some issues with the chrome, the clear coat melted the paint and it ran, so i had to clean it up, then used glossy clear nailpolish on it instead. Soon ill be saving up some money to buy some 2 cell 25-30c lipo probably 2000-3000 mah small batteries, couple of them. and a charger. soon. i'm down to my last battery, the rest died, and i only get about 15 minutes crawl time on my 5000mah 7 cell nimh lol. oh I was actually dissappointed in the fact that the proline bumpers were plastic, so i'll have to buy metal or aluminum bumper mounts because they are super flimsy i was able to bend the bumpers down 45 degrees. the metal bumpers i have on my jeep are solid, and you can lift the entire jeep by the bumper.

The steering has been moved to behind the axle. I had to relocate the shock mounts on the axle, I will replace the aluminum bracket with metal for extra strength and paint black later. I had a lot of trouble mounting the servo on the axle where it didn't hit the frame, and was able to full swing between the top links. I did some test crawls and so far is good. But where I'm having issues is where the truck could be front end down with the weight on the tire, the steering rod and the servo rod are basically 0 degrees and the servo has no leverage to push the tires anywhere, so I'm going to replace the steering rod with a hand crafted steel plate, I was thinking of buying 2mm link extensions to use as bushings with a washer on top so the steering rod can be free to spin without friction, but solid, so the tires are not toe in, toe out etc.. going to to attach the servo link to the center of the steering rod so that when the tire is left or right, the servo isn't trying to push without leverage. wow that was a lot, hope that makes sense. will take more detail pictures later of the finished product.

Enjoy!

Been working with styrene, experimenting with structure, design, and paint. what do you guys think of my 1 working drawer toolbox. It won't be going on my basher dodge. but just something to use in pictures.

Dodge Honcho aka the Doncho - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Homeless Hobbies SCX-10 Honcho AKA "THE TACOMELESS" ScaleDustin Axial SCX-10 43 10-09-2012 12:14 PM
my comanche honcho aka apache aircruiser Axial SCX-10 12 02-01-2011 11:52 PM