Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: locked diff?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #1

Default locked diff?

Are the stock axles on the scx10 locked, open, or lsd?
scutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: locked diff?

I believe all the kits and rtr now come with locked diffs.
The old Scorpion Ready To Race had an open front diff.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Lightbulb Re: locked diff?

Welcome to the forum. You can learn a lot from RCC.

A few seconds of searching results in the information below direct from Axial's website...

AXLES - PROVEN DURABILITY
The axles have been designed with many features that are not available from other products on the market. Everything from the axle strength, pinion angle, caster, and ground clearance were taken into consideration when designing these axles. The result is a far superior axle that will stand up to some severe punishment. To ensure added longevity from the start a hi-tolerance sintered diff locker is included along with hardened axle shafts.

HEAVY DUTY DIFFERENTIAL LOCKER
Made from strong sintered metal. Sintered metal provides superior metallurgical characteristics and can be manufactured with very tight tolerances. Adds weight where it is needed in the axle. Simple one piece design. Reduces slop in drivetrain by eliminating cross pin.

PROVEN DURABILITY - AXLES DESIGNED WITH PERFORMANCE AND DURABILITY IN MIND
The axles have been designed with many features that are not available from other products on the market. Everything from the axle strength, pinion angle, caster, and ground clearance were taken into consideration when designing these axles. The result is a far superior axle that will stand-up to some severe punishment. To ensure added longevity from the start, a high-tolerance sintered diff locker is included along with hardened steel axle shafts.

__________________________________________________ _____________

That one is free.

SEARCH!!!
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #4

So if everyone always searches and doesn't discuss or ask questions then all we have is a dictionary/manual and not a forum.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scutt View Post
So if everyone always searches and doesn't discuss or ask questions then all we have is a dictionary/manual and not a forum.

Thanks for the info.
Discuss things that need discussion. Don't ask questions that the average person should know from little research, or from actually owning the truck. You can post your questions in the Newbie Section and avoid any such harassment.

Posts like your original one, lead people to think you are upping your post count. Join date SEP2012, low post count, single question that is easy to find answer, what would you think?

You did good in your thread (newb needs help to get my crawler going again) where you asked for help about your smoked motor. You gave your set-up, brief description of your problem and what you were looking for in your question.

Do you have a specific problem that involves the locked axles?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #6

Yes I feel like they r slipping at times almost like a LSD.

I am not trying to up my post count just trying to get a quick answer that I know would be way for someone to answer that knows.
I would of actually paid to be a supporting member if I didn't get so much hassle for my posts.
The way this site is run I don't really want to be a supporting member. You seem to outcast all new members until they "prove" them selfs.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoungette View Post
Discuss things that need discussion. Don't ask questions that the average person should know from little research, or from actually owning the truck. You can post your questions in the Newbie Section and avoid any such harassment.
Why the need to harass him in general? Because he asked a simple question? With searching and research, eventually everything about these trucks can be found, so by all rights, no body should ask anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoungette View Post
Posts like your original one, lead people to think you are upping your post count. Join date SEP2012, low post count, single question that is easy to find answer, what would you think?
I would think he's a new user that was looking for a quick and simple answer. Sometimes larger discussions can stem from a simple small question. The only stupid questions are the ones that arent asked.
devestator_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Do the stock axial tires come with foams? Errrrrrrrrr...
SkinInc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by devestator_x View Post
The only stupid questions are the ones that arent asked.
I respectfully disagree.

Quote:
Have you had the axles apart for inspection? Could be the stock ring & pinion wearing and slipping. Could be the locker has worn and has rounded. I would guess the ring & pinion is bad, or going bad. Does it 'click' or 'pop' and slip if you hold a tire and press the throttle? Give a for instance where the issue has presented itself.

Quote:
I am not trying to up my post count just trying to get a quick answer that I know would be way for someone to answer that knows.
I would of actually paid to be a supporting member if I didn't get so much hassle for my posts.
The way this site is run I don't really want to be a supporting member. You seem to outcast all new members until they "prove" them selfs.
Supporting member or not, there is a way to go about things to get your answer and not get harassed. I'd suggest prefacing your initial question with "I searched for two hours and didn't find an answer to ...", or "I'm at work and don't have time to search. Can someone answer ...."

I think you get the point I am trying to make. So, lets move past this 'posting a question' issue and get to solving your true problem with your axles.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
I'll bet it's the locker, not the gears.
Is just one wheel slipping or both?
Like btoungette said, try holding the wheel that you think is slipping and see if you can make it slip... or just open up the axle and know for sure.

Quote:
You seem to outcast all new members until they "prove" them selfs.
heeeeeeeeey, I tried to help you w/o any hassle.
Attached Images

johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinInc69 View Post
Do the stock axial tires come with foams? Errrrrrrrrr...
Post like this on r the ones you should be concerned with. Absolute no reason to post this but nothing is said to people like this.

As far as I am concerned you can lock or delete this thread seeing how my original question that didn't need to be asked in the first place has been answered.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
As far as I am concerned you can lock or delete this thread seeing how my original question that didn't need to be asked in the first place has been answered.
I know your original question has been answered, but what about the problem that made you ask your original question? Are you just going to let it "slip"?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Yupp... both front and back are locked... but they are very sloppy
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDROX97 View Post
Yupp... both front and back are locked... but they are very sloppy
That actually has prompted me to ask something... Ive only had my scx10 for about 3 months now. Bought it used and its actually my first crawler. I opened up one axle just to check things out and see where I was getting a huge amount of slop (more in the rear than the front). Turns out it wasnt in the axle at all but was at the trans output. I was thinking it was in the ring and pinion gears.

Anyhow onto my question...
Is that stock slop in the locker something to be concerned with? Could that eventually lead to premature wearing of axles or even the ring gear?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Why the need to harass him in general? Because he asked a simple question? With searching and research, eventually everything about these trucks can be found, so by all rights, no body should ask anything.

I would think he's a new user that was looking for a quick and simple answer. Sometimes larger discussions can stem from a simple small question. The only stupid questions are the ones that arent asked.

I like this response . No offence to the person I think it was directed to. But as people are here for some time, they will get to know how things go and stumble across more information. Not everyone starts off knowing how to search in a way that gives them good results. Yes the information on how to do it is out there...but you have to search for it . Honestly hearing people say "search" is imho way more annoying then people asking questions that have been asked before. Don't take things so serious, you will not stop the inevitable repeat of questions. I don't think I have ever told someone to search on here and I have been here for years. If I see something that is a re post of questions, I just read it without response or move on. Why the need to feel like it is "your" responsibility to school people on forum use?

Scutt,
Your slipping experience could be a few things. The axles are locked as others have said. But there are a few things that could cause that sensation. One is lose set screws on the driveshafts. They have been known to come lose even with liberal use of threadlock. Under a high stress or bind situation, they may slip on the axle pinion. The motor and shafts will be turning but the wheels will not. Now obviously this would effect both wheels on the given axle. But it is a possible place of slippage. Another is there is a slipper clutch on most models of SCX10's. if this slips then all tires will not move. I do not know how much experience you have with these or rc's in general. Those are both basic things and common on rc's. But if you didn't know about them then it could be frustrating not knowing how to deal with those issues. If you have one tire on an axle that is not spinning at times then it could be a few things. Wheel mounting nut not tight enough (would be pretty obvious and doubtful, but I have seen it happen). Stripped wheel hex. If plastic wheels, the hex area can strip out and the hex that the wheel bolts onto will spin in the wheel. I have had this happen on many sets of SCX wheels. Usually only happens when you up the power over stock and run larger tires. Those are the main things I would check and check as normal maintenance (hex's, set screws, oil the bearings, clean crud from driveshafts, tighten all screws,etc). Be carefull when checking or tightening the screws that hold the transmission to the trans skid. They strip very easy. Good luck!
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
That actually has prompted me to ask something... Ive only had my scx10 for about 3 months now. Bought it used and its actually my first crawler. I opened up one axle just to check things out and see where I was getting a huge amount of slop (more in the rear than the front). Turns out it wasnt in the axle at all but was at the trans output. I was thinking it was in the ring and pinion gears.

Anyhow onto my question...
Is that stock slop in the locker something to be concerned with? Could that eventually lead to premature wearing of axles or even the ring gear?

The trans should have a locked gear output with "no" play. Some versions use aluminum out drives bolted to the gear in the trans. Some have steel (must stronger). There are aftermarket options for a one piece gear with out drives in steel or other hardened metal. Very worthwhile imho. I ruined a few sets on my first scx's. Now when building one, I don't even bother with stock and go right to the steel on that part. I would take the trans apart to see what is the deal. First I would check to make sure the drive shafts are not slipping on the trans out drives. Over time the setscrews can hog out the out drive on the aluminum versions and allow play. If it is the gear inside, I would replace it with either steel outdrives or a one piece gear and outdrive.

one piece outdrive and gear:

Robinson Racing Outdrive Diff Lock Gear AX10/SCX10

steel outdrives:

Axial Replacement Steel Outdrives for the Axial Transmission

I have used the steel out drives (second option) on three of my SCX's. The other I have a version of the first link made by "Hot Racing". I have never had an issue with the gear itself, only the out drives. The steel out drives have been great on all rigs. I know some people have issues with the gears in the trans, but I have never had a failure on any of my rigs. Only the aluminum out drives have failed and they failed on every rig they were on.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #17
I joined the Band!

Sorry Rook... I should have been more specific... My question was directed more towards the play in the axle diff. I know the trans shouldnt have any play. My issue was caused by the grub screw being slightly loose and wearing the output shaft into a nice round pin. I have since replaced everything with a Wraith trans and through pins rather than grubs.

But yeah can that play in the locked axle diff cause any issues in the long term?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Depends on torque being applied, in some situations I'd say don't worry about it and in others it'd be a good thing to upgrade.

An integy lathe motor on 3s won't do much damage in that dept, a tekin pro4 on just 2s on the other hand...

These are a step up and work well:
Hot Racing Unibody SHD Differential Locker AX10 SCX10 Wraith #SCP125R *-*Driveline Parts: Axles and axle parts*-*-By Truck: Axial AX10 Scorpion, SCX10, Honcho*-*The Crawlers Store LLC
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #19

wanted to upgrade my axles from stock locker to either Robinson Racing Outdrive Diff Lock Gear AX10/SCX10 or Hot Racing Axial SCX10 AX10 Wraith Unibody SHD Differential Locker anyone have either these with any comments
78fordmadcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

robinson products are bulletproof,so go on with them.as far as HR.....I had bad experience with them,and since then,i am staying out of there products
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote

locked diff? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
has anyone locked the diff in their slash? dieselfuel Non Crawler RC's 15 10-14-2008 09:36 PM
locked diff poll Rockpiledriver Tamiya TLT Crawlers 23 06-07-2006 05:12 PM
locked diff tltcrawl Tamiya TLT Crawlers 15 09-05-2004 12:22 PM
i just locked my juggernaut diff a new way austinsclod General Crawlers 1 07-08-2004 04:12 PM
Locked the rear diff... XFACTOR General Crawlers 9 07-07-2004 09:02 AM