Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My 1988 Toyota ext cab build, First time RC owner!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Talking My 1988 Toyota ext cab build, First time RC owner!

Hello! So Im new to the world of rc trucks, but well versed in 1:1 technical crawling, set-ups and techniques. I had a 1988 toyota ext. cab that i sold a few years back... i miss it dearly and was the best vehicle i have ever owned! So was the reason for this build, to try and replace yet remind me of my old toyota....

So here is a quick parts run down;
- Started life as a RTR Honcho, bought black friday of 12'

-I have two sets of tires, 1.9 Super-Swamper Boggers "which are really like 2.2" I also have a set of Pro-line-Hammers on a set of true bead locks. The swampers are glued and air tight, but the hammers are vented.

-Pro-Line 6060 Duel-Spring coil-overs with 27wt. LOSI oil all the way around.

-lower steering link metal replacement the plastic one flexed way too much...

-Axial replacement front bumper w/ bumper lift brackets

-Winch

-Dinky RC's honcho bed-side

-toyota 2nd gen. cab.

-Onyx NiMh 3000mah

I know not much is done... but im still out around $500 close to $600 as she sits. Im trying to build my 1:1 project and got side-tracked with this thing

VVV- The day she arrived!

VVV- Even though its new i wanted to make sure everything nice and lubed up right! I havent plasti-dipped my electronics yet.. havent found the time.

VVV- I needed more lift to clear my 2.2's, plus wanted some better flex. Heres a side by side of Pro-lines 6060 coil-overs next to the Axial factory one.

VVV-Heres the yota with fresh paint lookin cherry! Also 1 of both of my extta wheels, which flavor?

VVV-I put the rear cage back on, and noticed that my toyota body wasnt as wide as the factory honchos... Notice the RCCRwaler sticker on back window!

VVV- Since i couldnt add the extra suport srews through the cab it was REALLY flimsy.. So i drilled a few holes and ran some zip-ties to add extra support. I also painted gold to be more reflective, i plave on getting a battery pack LED light stran and velcrow it to the inside on my cab. so when i run at night, il have crawling lights!

VVV- I installed my Dinky RC's Honcho bedside, not bad for my first try!

VVV- Heres the end result of my labors

VVV- Heres my own little rubicon/KTH/boulder field in the corner of my neighbors house directly across the street from my house haha

Well there she is!!! Let e know what your think! Thanks for reading!!!!
H22aVtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: My 1988 Toyota ext cab build, First time RC owner!

that looks cool!!
94smasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Welcome to the hobby glad you got a crawler and not a short course truck. I would go with the swampers they look awsome now go to the scale accessories section and make some to make it look like a real 1.1
gkosterscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Welcome from California!

Your on the right path choosing a Scx10 for your first rig

Lookin' Good
BodiBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

looks good! im not a yota fan and i still like it!
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #6

Thanks everyone!

I plan on useing the swampers during the winter here since there sealed. The beadlock wheels would give me better traction. But since i poked holes in them to vent them, i dont want to use them in the wet and ruin my foam.

The beadlocks i have are also slightly weighted, a little over a ounce a wheel. Not much, but does help! Thats why i also have the 2.2 weighted wheel in the back holder, it helps balance out the trucks weight distribution. Ive noticed better traction and articulation already!

The next thing i want to get are running lights so i can crawl at night! Thats why i went gold on the inside and didnt cut out my windows. I have the clear window inserts but didnt want light shining through. Going to find a small 2ft. stran of led lights from walmart in the auto section. Then just velcrow and tape the stran around the whole underbelly of the body. So all you see is a glow coming from everywhere underneath it!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I think I have 5-6 oz in each of the fronts. That and moving the battery will help a lot on both the hill climbs and the side hilling.

Aside from that, One heck of a good start. Always did like the swampers...
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #8

Looking good. Keep the swampers.
woodenshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:07 AM   #9

Hey everyone! So Ive spent some time tinkering on my crawler the last few days. Ive even gone out and had some fun NW style! Aka in the rain It rains continuously here in WA state, so i had no choice but to "water-proof" my truck. Im happy to say after extensive testing today, my truck seems sealed and i have no issue running in water as deep as the top of my hood! "was Crystal clear stream water, wouldn't recommend that deep in dirty/muddy water!"

Anyhow.... Heres more pics since thats what everyone luvs anyhow right??? lol

VVV- My buddies scx10 and mine being stripped down and worked on

VVV- Since there always water because of rain around here, we fallowed RC Sparks' "How to" on water proofing all the electronics with Plastidip video on you-tube. The ESC, Servo, Transmitter box, all got two coats of plastic. Although not needed, I went ahead and dipped my battery as well. Im VERY happy how this turned out and worked for me, do it right and will work for you too! Make sure to give all the gears marine grease before dipping!

VVV- Since my truck was apart anyhow, i decided to break in my axial 27T factory brushed motor submerged under water. I used a soda cup so it didnt ruin a drinking glass. Worked great!

VVV- heres before

VVV- Heres after, it did this about 4 times about 15 min a cycle, before the water stayed semi translucent

VVV- So after getting the two all put back together we went for a night trail run!

VVV- a few days ago i went for a ride up in the mountains and found some snow! We found a snow-woman along side of the road hahaha

Hope you all enjoyed!!! Thanks for looking! Any Q's feel free to ask!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #10

what brand is that body?
DCtruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I love the early 90's pickup truck styles, the bedsides look killer.
autonomous is offline   Reply With Quote

My 1988 Toyota ext cab build, First time RC owner! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Double Cab Toyota Build pardonmyn00b 1.9 Scale Rigs 85 01-10-2013 10:33 PM
my ext cab 95 ford weez440 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 02-25-2012 09:07 PM
1984-1988 Toyota Hilux body Icer.One 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 07-13-2011 08:41 PM
1988 toyota pick up 2fknqwk Chit Chat 30 06-20-2008 01:45 PM
Scale 99 dodge ext cab build quads4_life 1.9 Scale Rigs 14 12-15-2007 11:05 AM