Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Project: Budget Build... (for now)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default SCX10 Project: Budget Build... (for now)

Hey guys, I want to introduce myself, this will be my first documented build thread. My name is Kelsie, I live in the SW Chicago-land Suburbs. I've been into RC for about 2.5 years now. I started with nitro and turned slowly to the slower (more fun, in my opinion) side of the hobby. I have a Yeti and my girlfriend has a Wraith, both trucks are great, but this time I wanted to try on the scale stuff for the first time. I going to build this with the intention of using it as a back up truck in case someone doesn't have a rig or is sidelined by breakage.

I found the admin of a group on Facebook selling a SCX for cheap so I jumped on it and here's what I got.

I feel like I got a good deal as I had seen the pics in the listing and knew it was a little dirty. I try to be as thorough as I can while cleaning, so I'm not worried about the condition at all. I really want to breathe new life into this truck!

It came with a lot of upgraded parts, here's the list of what I can remember of the top of my head;

-MIP front and rear drive shafts
-STRC aluminum C- hubs
-STRC aluminum Front knuckles
-Axial aluminum Steering linkages
-Axial aluminum lower links all around
-STRC aluminum lockouts
-32 pitch conversion spur
-Axial 12mm hex adapters

On top of that I received 2 full sets ( of Axial 8 hole 1.9 bead locks. One with Pitbull Rockbeast tires that are in pretty good shape with the exception of a few holes like this one:

I'm not too worried, I've had great luck using superglue inside the tire to seal the holes. These are a little bigger than I've come across myself so I plan on closing the holes with superglue and then backing that with RTV so it doesn't leak at all (I LOVE MUD).

The other 4 bead locks are mounted to a set of Baja Claws that were shipped to me wrapped up in grocery bags. Now they are Sitting in a box to dry out until I feel like messing with them later.

That's a pretty good start, I plan on updating this today with the tear-down that happened last night!

Last edited by kstowe; 12-29-2014 at 11:47 AM.
kstowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

Default Re: SCX10 Project: Budget Build... (for now)

You can buy actual rubber tire patches and rubber cement to patch holes in scale tires.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
You can buy actual rubber tire patches and rubber cement to patch holes in scale tires.
I didn't think about that, have you used that method? If so would you recommend it? I haven't had any issues with the glue, so I might start with that and the RTV. Just so I don't have to buy anything to fix them.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

A friend of mine patched a hole in his Pro-Line Sling Shot short course tire. It held up until the tire was no longer usable.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Time for the TEAR DOWN!

I started by disassembling the bead locks, the rings aren't in the best shape so I sprayed them down with a little WD-40 to help refresh their look. I followed this up by washing the Rockbeasts and the beat up double deuce foams I got with them.

I then removed the battery plate, I was hoping this was nicely mounted, unfortunately it was just zip-tied, so I will figure something out.

Good thing the guy before me liked to use red loctite!
Yes, there was red thread lock on all 4 of these, thankfully I got through without stripping any. I may have "warmed" the spur a little, but I need an new one regardless.

Then the trans came out. I haven't cracked it open yet, everything spins so it should be fine.

Next up are the tubes! As I was taking the links off I noticed this broken mount. I have a spare, but I will be needing 1 more as both have broken mounts.

More of the last guy's problems, bent knuckle. I am wondering if I should leave it or try and heat it up with my torch and try and bend it back. I'm leaning towards fixing it, and unless someone tells me otherwise, that is most likely what I will be doing.

I am getting the feeling someone didn't care for this truck very much...

If the dirt and rust don't prove that, the miss-matched/miss hardware behind it should.

Popped open the front axle, and I feel optimistic about the rest of the internals!

Until I popped open the rear.

Next step, CLEAN! I already have an idea of parts I will need, but I'm not going to order anything. I have to get out to my LHS either tomorrow or Wednesday, that way I can start buying parts (hopefully not too many, first time budget build). Until then this is how it's sitting.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

With the condition of the axles I would recommend pulling the trans apart to check it out.
lonleycreeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Just needs a little tlc and it will be good as new.
JonnnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
With the condition of the axles I would recommend pulling the trans apart to check it out.
Most definitely! I will be taking everything apart to fully and thoroughly clean before I start piecing it back together. I plan on running a brushed motor through this thing so I'm not too worried about the diffs, I wont know until they're clean though.

I also plan on refinishing all of the visible metal on this truck. I may have bought it in this condition but I take much better care of my trucks than this. I look at it like I bought a barn find lol
Old 12-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

I'm betting that truck sounded awful the last time it was driven. Looks like he just drove the dog-**** out of it and patched/repaired it only when he absolutely had to. I would just plan on replacing the knuckles, heating a bending aluminum can do more harm than good depending on what type it is, usually just weakens it so it bends quicker next time. But it's there and worst case scenario you ruin it a little more.

Last edited by Eric0424; 01-02-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
I'm betting that truck sounded awful the last time it was driven. Looks like he just drove the dog-**** out of it and patched repaired it only when he absolutely had to. I would just plan on replacing the knuckles, heating a bending aluminum can do more harm than good depending on what type it is, usually just weakens it so it bends quicker next time. But it's there and worst case scenario you ruin it and little more.
Ohh yeah, who ever had this thing beat it like a red-headed stepchild. I'll plan on replacing it then. I will try and fix it, just for peace of mind. If it breaks, so be it.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #11

My first SXC10, I just threw the whole thing into the dishwasher (without the electronics). Doing so did strip the anodizing off the alum links though - gave it a dull look, but it came out pretty darn clean.
gambit023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

UPDATE!

I hope everyone had a great holiday season! It's been a little crazy for me with the holidays, but I have made some progress. I pulled the fame apart for washing.

After about a week of sitting, the Baja Claws were finally ready for some work, and boy they need it. That is water around the left side of the bead...

Here some more water that the prevous owner was kind enough to leave behind. It was about 1/4 of an inch just sitting in there.

Here's what the 1st set of 8 holes looked like cleaned up a bit, the second set looked better clean.

Yes, those are holes, about 3 drilled into each rim.

So I filled them with RTV, and done.

I also had to patch up the Rockbeasts. I used a small bit of duck tape, covered it with CA glue (just ran out of the Loctite stuff) and let it dry for a day. Then, I covered it generously with the black RTV.

The Patch

The Seal

The finished product (tear by the "A" in ROCKBEAST)

Holds air now.

In my opinion a part/truck is not clean until I have had it in the sink, so that's where this picture was taken. I scrubbed everything, I know its over kill, but this is just how I am with my trucks, and this build particularly.

I also had the time to get into the trans for the first time, and thankfully it looked better than the rear diff. No lube though...

So, I treated the internals just like the rest of the metal, by soaking it in WD-40 to try and clean it up.

The links should look different before they go back on...

So that bring you guys up to speed! I reassembled the frame, and I would like to sand and repaint, but I don't want to take too much time to get this up and running. This isn't the pace I had planned, but I only have so much time. Once it's a roller finishing it will be a breeze.

BONUS!

Both bearings were very stuck in the knuckle, I tried to get them out without spending much time, but couldn't. So I took this picture to show how rusty they are.

Tell me what you think!
Old 01-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

That thing has been severely neglected.I applaud you for your patience.I would have bought new if you had the option.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Yeh what an upbeat and positive thread this is, and look forward to reading the rest as you progress

Regards those bearings, if it where mine yeh no brainer swap em.........a hammer and small screw driver should push them out.........but if they spin and your happy to wait, get them as clean and lubricated as you can and see how much longer they last.

Last edited by northernerbill; 01-02-2015 at 07:38 PM.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #15
I joined the Band!

Looks like the last time that thing was driven, it was driven into a lake. Then got pulled out and placed on a shelf to dry for a couple of years.

You may be able to heat the knuckle(s) up and release the bearings, but I would soak them in some WD40 or PB Blaster overnight first. It would help to have a bench vise too, you might still have to tap them out with a punch.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:17 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Those rusted bearings look like the ones that came in a hitec mg645 servo I got with an ax10 here in the classifieds. It still worked fine but was much better after I cleaned it, lubed the motor and replaced the bearings. I find something intensely satisfying about rebuilding a broken-down rc I've bought for cheap (or preferably got for nothing!). Well done on having patience and a good attitude; we look forward to more updates.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:11 AM   #17
RCC Addict

If you pop all the black plastic parts in the washing machine on a normal cycle with detergent it brings the black back to life nom end.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I want to thank everyone the motivation! It means a lot to me! I will try and make some progress this weekend! I got into this truck for cheap, but now, I'm not sure this was a better option than going with easy-pay on a new kit. BUT I know I'm having way more fun this way!

ALL the bearings are going to be replaced. I have to figure out if I am going to order some fast eddy kits, or measure them and buy em piece by piece at my LHS. It's been a while since I've spent some money over there. My Yeti build required a lot of online shopping.

In the sake of money, I will most likely get a body from dollarhobbyz. I have been thinking 4dr JK for a while but there are a lot of them. If I don't go that route, I will want something unique. Does anyone know if anyone makes a VW Amarok body that could fit an SCX?

I just now realized that I called this a "Budget Build" and I haven't said anything about money.

I bought the truck for $200, shipped. I haven't bought any parts for it yet so here's my shopping list;

-Bearings
-Servo (I have a Hitec that I can rebuild for this)
-RX/TX
-Motor/ESC (I will steal the SV3/Brushed combo out of my girlfriends Wraith, I bought her a HW sensored combo for Christmas)
-BEC (coming with the combo)
-Lid

Oh, I would have thrown the plastic into the washing machine, but I have already scrubbed all of it with a toothbrush and Dawn... I'll try that next time!
Old 01-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #19
RCC Addict

22 rubber shield bearings on ebay for $20 shipped from states; gt3c txrx recommended as well; hack it later for 8ch. How about the thrift store or a yard sale for a hard body?
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I will say this is intense. A great find. Great working putting it back in service.
Levesque87 is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 Project: Budget Build... (for now) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley's $50 SCX10 Deadbolt Budget Build Harley Axial SCX-10 615 06-03-2016 07:43 PM
Scx10 integy tube chassis... Budget build! Kykrawler Axial SCX-10 71 11-27-2014 09:43 PM
Advice requested planning a budget SCX10 jeep kit build theTman Axial SCX-10 41 11-21-2014 01:14 PM
SCX10 budget build The Jimmy James 1.9 Scale Rigs 12 04-22-2013 10:53 PM
Finishlines C1 SCX10 Yota "Christmas Budget Build" finishline 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 01-02-2013 05:04 PM