Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Titan/Navara Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 04:49 AM   #21

Default Re: Titan/Navara Build

Well im a step closer, I made some front links and shortend the drive shaft to suit(havent cut the aluminum tubing yet to cover the allthread). Its binding a little I need to work out how to solve this (the axle is already clocked backwards its at about 10oclock based on a clockface from the side of the axle)

I also had to remove the cross member holding the shock hoops on, just cut it out so the mounts are still screwed in to the shock hoops. I will be putting in a front cross member just in front of the steering servo. If you look carefully you will notice i haven't relocated the shocks yet but I got a very simple method for this. I bought a level3 rc lift kit with U shaped spacer, Im just going to run this horizontal backwards which will give me a few options on shock height and location ive already checked and its long enough to run the shock straight up/down. For the rears im making a mount off the rear crossmember which will be easy enough.

here are a few picks not much of an update but a step closer, next is the rear.

I will be making a mount to raise the bullbar, with a bash plate coming down slightly which will be attached to the bullbar

Last edited by Lthldc; 04-07-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Lthldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #22

Ive redone the front links, Longer to ease the drive shaft binding and ive also changed my theme.

I decided to go down a tuff truck / Baja style look instead of scale (I still want to do a scale build but I think a whole other truck will be bought to do this ) This is my way of saying I copped out re-doing the wheel base at the moment. After playing with link lengths I discovered the a way to make it work would be to move the transfer/gearbox plate and all back about 2 cm's. This could of been done easily but I decided to change the body mounting location (twice) to fit it to the wheel base and trimmed the gaurds to suit.

I quite like the look of how its coming along and also have an idea for a bonnet intake (initially thought of to hide body post holes that now litter the shell, luckily i have a spare i can trim with out the ugly modifications now) I also used the old wheel carrier off the Honcho shell and mounted it to the tray to cover the body mounts at the rear which is up to 6 holes now :'(

Anyways take a look and tell me what you think, I really like it. I also have a tundra snorkel im going to modify to fit as it was the only one that looked remotely like the snorkel for the D40 Navara/Titans.

photo Closeupflexunderbelly_zps0482ea89.jpg

photo TopFlex_zps72959f30.jpg

photo Flex2_zps106d2730.jpg

photo Flex1_zps0f9b4171.jpg

Here is the bonnet Idea im playing with, Used the scrap lexan that I kept after cutting the shell out. To bend it all I did was use a steel ruler and fold down applying pressure. Worked really well and holds its fold firmly.

photo Scoopideafront_zps600b0e2e.jpg

As you can see I still need make a mount to raise the bullbar.

Last edited by Lthldc; 04-12-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #23

That body looks good on there. Nice build.
blue350zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #24
RCC Addict

what do you think of the shocks? everything came out looking proportionate!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #25

I'm just running air at the moment. The spring travel is perfect and the springs are long enough they form a natural bump stop on full compression(I cut out the shock crossmember and gained travel there and the shocks stop just short of the chassis rail hitting the lower steering bar).

I might have to make a few more openings in them yet the oil they were running had heaps of resistance. Not bad for 15 bucks a pair from the local hobby store. Still working on the internal spring shocks they are a tight on the shock piston and it was giving me resistance even with out oil in them.

Last edited by Lthldc; 04-12-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #26

A very quick play on a rainy day on my door step. Didnt get anything done yet will be working on it a bit later tonight. I really want to get it on some rocks but the creekbed near my house has become a river and im yet to water proof the servo and reciever.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #27

I really need to get rid of the JK rampage bar. It's out of place think ill have to go get some tubes and get my braise on.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:51 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Nice rig mate, that bar looks out on the car. But I love the look of the claws on the truck.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #29

Thanks mate and yeah i agree.

So I did a lot of sit and stare at my truck thinking what my next moves are instead of doing something, finding it don't work and doing something else that doesn't work.

Im going to make a bracket to lift the bar inline with the front of the car and see if it helps any but i'll probably end up braising something like this xrox D40 comp style bar (Which is on my birthday/Christmas wish list for my 1:1 truck)

Due to the shape in the center of it I can hide the bull bar lift mounts easily and use the space to mount a winch in as well and have a bash plate coming down on an angle and sloping back under the bar. The approach angle atm is good and I want to try and keep it.

I also was going to splash some cash on a scx10 jeep Cherokee rear bar but after mounting the tire on the ute bed its going to look weird. So I thought i'd try and make something like this. I'll be giving it a crack tomorrow so please dont laugh at my bar work haha

Im going to have a play around with floorpans and interiors. Instead of going the usual scale dash seat centre console I was thinking of desigining it to look like a racing truck. Internal roll cage with a pillar sectioning across the windscreen. Basic flat dash with gauges and some race seats + using some small bungee cords to make a harness, Window netting and cutting out the drivers side door. Bit of inspiration, see below.

So its time to start thinking about upgrades for the drive line. I'm thinking of going MIP's and replacing the diff gears to get back some wheel speed from the 45T (I was going to overdrive the front axle but its illegal for the the class I want to run in) RR HD internal gears and a solid steel output shafts. Adding some weight to the wheels to lower the CG as its a little tip happy atm but im not sure if its that or im trying to get too much flex out of it haha. I'm happy with the shocks for now as I said earlier want to try and run some light oil in them and see how they go might need to make a few holes and open them up a little in the pistons. Also got to finish making new links all round atm only running custom lower front links.

Now the tricky part, Im going to clock the front axle more forward, already running some bad caster I need clock-able C-hubs, However I also wanted to get the 8* chubs and high clearance knuckles from vanquish. Obviously it creates a issue and the sensible answer is to just get clock-able chubs and work it out later but if anyone knows of clock-able 8degree chubs in 1 I would be very appreciative if you point me in the right direction(or alternatively another solution) and XVD's/VVD's in the front to finish it off. If ive missed anything please let me know I think that would make for one solid drive line.

Shopping cart is loaded with half of it, just need to wait for payday to pull the trigger! Probably have another update next weekend

Last edited by Lthldc; 04-13-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:54 AM   #30

Had some sun today, Got out for a crawl near the creek down the road from my house, and I must say IM impressed with how it went. Some wheel weights, MIPs, trimmed foams to bag the tires alittle and slightly lower gearing and it will be a weapon.

I'll tell ya what! nothing makes you pay attention to what lines your crawling and improves your driving ability more, crawling on wet rocks next to flowing water knowing then knowing your reciever and servo are not water proofed LOL

Take a look.

Some flexing on the wire bridge rails for fun

After a long 5000mah of crawling

My drive shafts are now spiral shafts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Lthldc; 04-14-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:32 AM   #31
RCC Addict

It's insane the amount of run time I get from the SCX10 compared to my Traxxas Stampede. Nice shots...
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:59 AM   #32

Quick picture from the comp. Slapped on some decals for fun.

Still got a lot to do but slowly getting there, Just added a snorkle and LED light bar (probs take em off for comps) Need to lower the CG alot its killing me plus my links are just bending like the plastic ones XD so going to look into stainless steel/titanium ones. Running the tires backwards now and will probably cut some lugs to get more grip. Good day all in all at the canz comp tho.

photo 26-4_zps62439e5c.jpg
Old 12-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #33

Nice build .... I know this is an old topic and I apologize for bringing to the top. I have an interest in a Nissan build myself. If the OP checks this thread .... Do you still have your Titan?
bhowdy is offline   Reply With Quote

Titan/Navara Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Titan anyone? AddictedtoRC1 Axial SCX-10 13 10-21-2012 06:24 PM
BB-51 Titan RcBro 2.2 Scale Rigs 107 02-12-2008 03:47 PM
TLT build - Titan Sync Tamiya TLT Crawlers 16 04-09-2006 12:32 AM