Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 weight distribution question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

Default SCX10 weight distribution question

I recently purchased my first scx10 (dingo) and have noticed that most the weight seems to be in the back of the vehicle ( due to the battery location) which takes away from the amount of traction I get in the front of the vehicle when climbing. I see that some people relocate the battery to the front of the vehicle, some add weight to the front of the vehicle, and some relocate the battery to the front and add weight to the back of the vehicle.

I'm looking for some feedback / suggestions as to how your scx10 is set up and why you feel it's the best way to go.

thanks
jeeping33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SCX10 weight distribution question

Most people locate the battery to the front for performance on the trails. more front weight helps with crawling up hills
Where as located in the rear is just for scale performance.

I would suggest you to try a front mounted battery, but it really depends on what type of driving you do, if you don't go rock crawling with it, then its fine in the rear for trail use. but for crawling it will be much more likely to tip backwards and tumble down a hill.

My truck is mostly front heavy and it really hardly matters for hiking trails, but when I find some rocks it makes a noticable difference.
(battery is located between the Transmission and the front shocks sideways, its a little lower, and a little more balanced than a battery mounted all the way in the front.)
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #3

Intashu, thanks for the input. the experience you described its exactly what I have been experiencing. by Any chance do you have any pics of your battery location and how you set it up?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeping33 View Post
I recently purchased my first scx10 (dingo) and have noticed that most the weight seems to be in the back of the vehicle ( due to the battery location) which takes away from the amount of traction I get in the front of the vehicle when climbing. I see that some people relocate the battery to the front of the vehicle, some add weight to the front of the vehicle, and some relocate the battery to the front and add weight to the back of the vehicle.

I'm looking for some feedback / suggestions as to how your scx10 is set up and why you feel it's the best way to go.

thanks
I added 4 oz of stick on tire weights to each front wheel and 2 oz to each back wheel.

Here is how I relocated the battery and electronics. I also run a smaller battery which gives you more options for placement.

I found this combination by experimenting to get the rock climbing performance. It is roughly a 60/40 front to back weight ratio.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Several in fact.

kinda fuzzy.... Here is the truck before I went and got it dirty:

Ugh... I hated the first version of wheel wells I used. Glad I changed them out!

I actually just Zip tied the plastic frame to the truck rails then screwed on the plate. No rubbing either. but I think people have done it without the plastic pieces still attached to the metal plate.

i hate flash. my room is either too dark or the flash makes it too bright!

Another thing I did was move the electronics to the back. mostly just to keep the wires clean and keep it out of the way.
The ESC is on top of the transmission just to keep it high and dry.

edit: One last note to add, I have a craptop of weight in my front tires too. I set this up to make the weight forward, but more even, the tires themselves throw the weight way forward.
(wrapped a thick black wire band around rim and taped it down)

Last edited by Intashu; 04-14-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #6

thanks for the feedback.

another question for you, what are your wheel wells made out of?
Old 04-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Those look to be disposable tupperware-type bowls.

I have my battery in the front, came there stock but, I switched to a lighter, all plastic, Wraith tray, moved the esc to my dig servo, added a heavy bumper to the front, small hitch to the back, several other mods that I'm forgetting. It's probably around 65/35... maybe a little more to the front, even but, it works well so I'm not messing with this setup anymore.

KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Dollar store tupperware. I knew you would ask eventually.
Cut them in half and they work quite well.

I would perfect them by cutting up a bicycle inner tube and making a rubber gasket on the ends to make them sit tight against the body. But I may invest into the Proline Undercarriage.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I went with a different approach. I run two 2s packs in series.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post

I went with a different approach. I run two 2s packs in series.
You must get hours of fun lol. I have 5000mah packs and I got 50 minutes and only used 2300mah out of the battery. I made up plates to run 2 batteries, one on each side above the rock blockers. Never thought to run them together. I do want to make sure of something though.... If you run series with two 2's batteries then you would be pushing 14.8 volts, so do you mean in parallel which would keep the voltage at 7.4, but double the mah?
Cottonme173 is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 weight distribution question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinion on weight distribution dentonmac Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 01-22-2012 07:00 PM
weight distribution magman Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 03-18-2011 12:27 AM
weight distribution Bray D Venom Creeper 6 02-02-2010 10:50 PM
Ideal weight distribution? Azngtboi88 Newbie General 10 09-01-2009 05:04 PM