Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Rubicon kit build list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Rubicon kit build list

<----------TOTAL NEWBIE!
First off I have been into Rc's for about 4 years but this is my first scaler/crawler kit build of any kind. I am in the process of getting the parts together for this build and would like some input from the more experienced to see if i am on the right track.

Electronics:
Fly Sky gt3b radio (already purchased)
Mamba Max Pro Esc (already purchased)
Castle link (already purchased)
Tekin Redline 13.5 motor (already purchased)
Hitec Hs-5645mg servo (already purchased)

Wheels:
1.9 Axial 8 hole bead locks (already purchased) Don't want to glue the tires.

Truck:
SCX10™ 2012 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD - Kit (Not purchased)

Does the kit come with any gears pinion/spur? I could really use some help with this as I have no idea what to buy or where to start with gearing. Anything else that I will need to finish this build? I will be running this on 50c 5000mah 2s for now. I know I will need paint but I will decide on that at a later date.

Sorry so long but thanks for reading and any help will really be great!

Last edited by toyota2; 03-19-2013 at 07:24 AM.
toyota2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

The kit does come with a pinion and spur
Wraith913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Rubicon kit build list

Looks like you already have everything figured out/purchased.
I think the best advice for you on gearing it to install everything and try it out with stock gearing, then you can decide if you want more torque and low speed control or if you want more wheelspeed.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the replies, I would not say I have everything/anything figured out but I have done a lot of reading and these parts are what I came up with that I thought were good/decent and were in my budget. This is all new to me so I have no base line to start with. The truck its self will go together in the stock configuration so I can decide from there what it needs to handle better and I can see how it reacts and then make changes from there.

Thanks again!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

What do you plan to use the rig for? The reason I ask is if you plan to run that 13.5 Tekin motor full out you'll probably want to completely upgrade your drive train before you even turn it on for the first time.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

With that much power you might want to think about steel tranny gears. While you still have it apart convert to 32p gears. 48p gears just don't have enough tooth to be reliable. To save some money you could look at doing the 6mm bolt mood to the stock driveshafts. Mips are nice but not necessary right away. I hope that helps but as a side note, it is generally frowned upon to start multiple threads asking the same question...
diesel kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Sorry for the multiple posts, but thanks for the information just really hoping the parts I have purchased are good for this application.

Thanks again
Old 03-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #8

Definitely get the steel tranny gears and look at mip driveshafts.
travis4380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Like people before me have said, that much power you'll definitely want to get the steel tranny gears first thing because if your like me itll be hard to keep your finger out of the throttle.
RebelRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Yeah for shur me and rebelracer know all about breakin stuff with a gang load of power
904crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

as for your question regarding ring/pinion gears - you should buy some HD gearsets now so you can swap them in when you chew up the stock ones with that much power. pretty much same goes for the rest of your drivetrain.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Sounds like you have done things bass ackwards. Usually people buy the kit then ask for advice on parts...You have the parts and no kit.

Best advice I can give is that next time, you should ask for advice before you buy everything.

Edit: Since the main theme here is that a high powered brushless system is going into a crawler that will self destruct with stock parts, you should set the ESC to a very tame throttle profile and maybe even limit the throttle to something like 50% too until you can beef the drive train up. Check your throttle settings on the radio as well, a combination of EPA and negative exponential can keep the streeses on the drive train down.

Last edited by 05Fronty4x; 03-19-2013 at 04:59 PM.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
ilg
Rock Stacker

I personally would get a lower turn motor. I have a 35 turn for scaling/crawling and I still find that too fast. I usually only run at 50% throttle or less.

Whether you change the motor or not, like everything has said, upgrade your gears. I would suggest the Robinson Racing gears. They are listed originally for the AX10, but the SCX10 and the AX10 share transmissions, so the gears are interchangeable... Robinson Racing Products - Products and Pricing for Axial AX10 SCORPION -> I would pickup 1541 & 1542.
ilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I don't think hd axle gears are vital. I'm still running the stock gears in my vxl wraith for 1.5 yrs without issues. Are they getting worn now? Yeah, but pack it full of marine grease and run 'em.
diesel kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

I went back a forth between brushed and brushless but in the end decided on a brushless set up. I had seen others here use this motor and figured it was a good one to go with and in my budget. I have already added the RR gears to my cart along with my kit. Looks like I will have a lot of tuning to do with this motor to get it tamed down but that is half the fun of it and hopefully I will be able to make it run as I want.

Thanks to all of you for your replies and very helpful information.

Rubicon kit build list - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NorCal's Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Kit Build NorCal 2500HD Axial SCX-10 29 06-20-2014 09:59 AM
TheManCave's Unlimited Rubicon Kit Build TheManCave 1.9 Scale Rigs 23 01-20-2014 01:48 PM
rubicon kit jdmguy760 Axial SCX-10 26 03-18-2013 08:46 PM
new Rubicon unlimited kit budget build ?s bigred22 Axial SCX-10 16 03-06-2013 12:23 PM
Rubicon kit im gunna crawl Axial SCX-10 4 01-17-2013 11:05 AM