Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Rubicon or Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #1

Default SCX10 Rubicon or Wraith

Ok, dont mean to beat any horse to death, but I am really confused about whether to get a wraith or scx10 rubicon? I can cover either kit or rtr in both, and then I have about 450.00 to spend on upgrades. What do all of you advise? I have a Ridgecrest and love it and that is going to be turned over to my 5 yr old son so we can go on trail runs together. Trail runs would consist of trails and rock crawling, as I want something that can crawl well too. Probably gonna do something this week, so anything you guys can tell me is appreciated. I think I will post this in the Wraith section as well. Thanks to all.
MikeJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SCX10 Rubicon or Wraith

Both of them have pros and cons. Only way to decide is flip a coin.
nersik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I had this same dilemma not a few weeks ago. (This is my first post btw

I ended up buying a used wraith that came with a lot of extra goodies. It's been a great rig and crawls really well. At the time I had an AX10 as well and started looking into converting it but realized that the cost is about the same as just selling and buying a rtr Scx10. So that's what I did. Sold the ax10 and two hours later picked up a used scx10.

Moral of that story is there isn't a definite answer of which one to get. So get them both! If you have the extra cash to spend on upgrades, I'd just get the two rtr setups and have a blast.
nsimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

My theory is my son (6ys) has his wraith and I just picked up a scx10 dingo. With the think of on the trail whats easy for him with the wraith is challenging for me with the scx10.
Does yhis make sense to anyone else?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
sidehiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #5

I have both but I started with an scx10 first. They both are very capable machines depending on what you do to them.
The scx10 out of the box is a nice rig for both trail and crawling. However, once I ran with some buddies and their wraiths, I had to get one too. My opinion and experience below: ( based on kit versions of both)
Scx10:
1. The scx10 requires more finness and skill to crawl.
2. Pretty nice parts out of the box. Aluminum links etc....
3. Lots of upgrades

Wraith:
1. Still requires finness and skill but more capable at crawling if setup correctly due to wider wheelbase and 2.2wheels
2. Great out of the box parts except for steering components.
3. Tons of upgrade options.
4. Great for trails and the rocks.

Again, these are just my own observations. I'm sure others will agree or disagree but I enjoy both rigs equally.
When I'm out crawling with friends, I tend to pull out one or the other depending on what they are driving to level the playing field.
I understand that having both may not be an option for some but if I honestly had to choose, id go with the scx10 to start since it requires less modification to be a good rig for trails and the rocks.

Just my 2cents!
wakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #6

Personally, I'm a noob but I love the 1:1 scaler look. It seems to be challenging, not only to crawl what I want but also to keep it appearing as realistic as possible. That to me is worth the extra pain and suffering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rogue1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Couldn't agree with you more ^,I"m also a complete noob but I love the scx10 I picked up,I"m hunting for a new bright body and small upgrades and it is a blast I say Rubicon rtr and upgrade it to your preference,Good luck,and have fun!!!
OKkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJordan View Post
Ok, dont mean to beat any horse to death, but I am really confused about whether to get a wraith or scx10 rubicon? I can cover either kit or rtr in both, and then I have about 450.00 to spend on upgrades. What do all of you advise? I have a Ridgecrest and love it and that is going to be turned over to my 5 yr old son so we can go on trail runs together. Trail runs would consist of trails and rock crawling, as I want something that can crawl well too. Probably gonna do something this week, so anything you guys can tell me is appreciated. I think I will post this in the Wraith section as well. Thanks to all.
From experience, I have found that when you are buying a rig to run with someone else you should get a rig with very similar capabilities. Not being able to keep or do the same things as you will frustrate the other person and make them hate to drive with you. It really doesn't matter how old they are, if they can't keep up, its not fun for them. If he has a RidgeCrest, I would probably get another RidgeCrest. Just something to think about.

Last edited by k7zpj; 04-08-2013 at 06:04 PM.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Wraith for sure, i have both
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Wraith, i was interested in buying a JK kit but after noticing that my Wraith absolutely destroys the SCX10's in trails i declined that option, i mean, why spent money building something that was born inferior? Besides i have a ton of $$ dumped into this Wraith so making something similar with an SCX10 is really not a feasible option
Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJordan View Post
Look at my wraith build
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I have three SCX-10 in various forms - sold my wraith to build my third. IMO the wraith isn't with it - SCX all the way! But as folks have pointed out, it really depends what you want out of it. Bashing, smashing, full throttle stuff, and crap tons of money - go wraith. Style, looks, scale, fun, and reasonable cost to fun ratio - go SCX.
My opinions - but have owned both, and got rid of the wraith.
B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #13

I would suggest SCX10. I have both also, but they both have a role in my "Arsenal". I think the Wraith and Ridgecrest are very similar. I crawl with someone who has one and My Wraith and his RC are very close.

Trail running, and keeping up with a RC would be different though. So.... Gotta figure out what you want to do in the long run....

S

Also.... PM Sent .
Sbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:24 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Wife has a wraith. I have an scx10 and my sons going to be doing his first build with and scx10 since his first crawler is a maxstone10( had to make sure he liked it enough)My wife just laughs at me when I try to keep up with her on the rocks, but I love the challenge and look of the scx10 more
Arnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:06 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

make the best of both and build a wroncho ;) i had both a scx10 and a wraith was finding eatch 1 was having something that the other dont so i have made a wroncho and now i just love the rig
wmax99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:06 AM   #16
RCC Addict

SCX10 for skillz n Wraith for Thrills.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 Rubicon or Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The difference between the scx10 rubicon and the scx10 honcho RC_addict1 Axial SCX-10 14 01-06-2015 08:52 AM
Wraith or SCX10 Rubicon MikeJordan Axial Wraith 8 04-09-2013 05:41 PM
Rubicon SCX10 or Wraith? Jonesy22 Axial SCX-10 5 12-19-2012 07:47 PM
Wraith-TJ Rubicon rockspider Axial Wraith 23 02-26-2012 08:52 PM
Rubicon Wraith thehardway Axial Wraith 4 02-19-2012 03:45 PM