Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: TURBO's JK Rubicon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TURBO's JK Rubicon

Well, I pulled the trigger on a new rear bumper for the JK. As stated in the post above, I couldnt stand how flimsy the stock bumper and spare tires carrier was. I saw this Tough Armor Bumper on the RC4WD site and wanted to give it a try.

Here it is, fresh out of the box:

It mounted up pretty easily. I just had to drill out the stock bumper bracket locating hole so I could use another M3 screw and nut. It's ultra sturdy compared to the original plastic bumper and the spare tires carrier doesn't flop around like a wet noodle. One thing I wasn't sure about when I purchased it, was whether or not it would tuck up to the body better that the stocker. Well, it fits up against the body nice and snug so the rear approach angle will be improved as well. All in all, I'd say this was a Massive improvement for anyone thats unhappy with the stock rear bumper on the JK Rubicon.

Next is some simple interior painting and wiring...neither of which I'm looking forward too...Yuck...Wiring

Last edited by TURBOFEST; 07-14-2014 at 09:54 AM.
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Nice build! How much bump steer does your JK have with the servo mounted like that? I didn't realize the Vanquish cross member was also a servo mount. Those sliders are something else I haven't seen before, but could definitely find a use for. Thanks for sharing your project. The color is pretty awesome too.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

I was initially going to mount my battery on one of the sliders, but after some deliberation, I decided to make a tray for it to go in between the front shock towers. Out came the dremel and some scrap 1/16" carbon fiber and a new battery tray was born. Carbon fiber just makes me happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Nice build! How much bump steer does your JK have with the servo mounted like that? I didn't realize the Vanquish cross member was also a servo mount. Those sliders are something else I haven't seen before, but could definitely find a use for. Thanks for sharing your project. The color is pretty awesome too.
I am going to have to rethink my track bar mount so I can shorten my track bar. Its still about 1/4" to long so there is a very very slight bit of bump steer going on.

The Vanquish CMS mount is a really nice piece. Ties everything together really nicely!

The Sliders from SHon over at R2J are simply AWESOME!! They are definitely one of my favorite parts on this build. Simple and extremely effective...Perfect!

Last edited by TURBOFEST; 07-14-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #44
Rock Stacker

Excellent build. I just built my first SCX10 Rubicon kit (same one you have) and you've given me some great ideas. One thing that always annoyed me was how flimsy the stock rear bumper was so I was psyched to see your positive review of the Tough Armor option; I'll be picking one up for sure. Thanks!

Kyle
GiantsCheated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #45
Rock Stacker

hate to ask this, but is this - Tough Armor Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier 2 - Z-S0185 - the rear bumper you're using?
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
hate to ask this, but is this - Tough Armor Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier 2 - Z-S0185 - the rear bumper you're using?
Sure is!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Awesome work on this rig that paint turned out killer
Rok Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Finally..The last piece of my electronics bundle has arrived! These new little WARN winches from RC4WD are pretty awesome looking! I also picked up the winch controller to go along with the new winch so I can have a nice clean install. Keep the awesome "officially licensed" parts coming RC4WD!

Find this winch here:
WARN 9.5CTI Winch

Last edited by TURBOFEST; 07-14-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Looking good... Got a couple of these winches on the way.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

How is the stock bumper holding the winch? Meaning with it being plastic,mounts and all.u think it will hold up well uder winching?I went to rc4wd and priced out the winch and a bumper for the bad a$$ winch,but if I dont need it thats great.
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Default Jeep, the giant killer!

Well, it's been quite awhile since I have updated this thread.

A few upgrades since the last round consist of:

FINISHED DRIVELINE
I snagged some Super Shafty Bomb Proof outputs for the trans. I went with a stubby for the front and a standard for the rear. With the new 6mm outputs that meant also getting some MIP 6mm driveshaft Hub for my MIP driveshafts and some Traxxas screw pins to tie it all together. I also got those from Rick @ Super Shafty!

SUPER SHAFTY 6MM OUTPUT HUB FOR MIPS DRIVESHAFTS

SUPER SHAFTY "STUB" 6MM OUTPUTS FOR AXIAL TRANS

SUPER SHAFTY "STANDARD" 6MM OUTPUTS FOR AXIAL TRANS

TRAXXAS SCREW PINS FOR MIP DRIVESHAFTS

FINISHED WIRING (except lights )

I put a Holmes Hobbies BRXL and Castle Creations BEC inside an electronics box that fit like a glove on the R2J rock sliders. I went with a 4000mah, 3S NanoTech Lipo. It's long and shallow and fits perfectly between the shock hoops on the SCX10. Mix in a Holmes Hobbies 27t torquemaster and this thing was unstoppable!

All nice and clean

Now, it's been awhile since I updated, so, I've driven this thing a lot since some of these mods have been done. I decided to enter this rig in the new Trail Class at the North East National Qualifier thinking it would be fun to try and fend off the Wraiths and 4WS purpose built Trail rigs with my Scaler. Well, not only was the Trail class an absolute blast to drive in, but the little bugger actually pulled out a WIN! I wouldn't have guessed it possible before hand, but now I think this rig will be my full time trail classer! Super fun Class!

Some pics from the comp. HUGE Thanks to Jake Kolva for the awesome pictures from the event!!!!

JEEP THE GIANT KILLER!

Thanks COW RC for the awesome work matt trophies for the NENQ!

Last edited by TURBOFEST; 07-01-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Good job, stupid skinny truck courses.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Good job, stupid skinny truck courses.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Love the color, Jeep looks great!
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

I Like Your JK , Congrats On The Win !
Robs07junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

When Vanquish Products released the Q-Series LED lights (Vanquish Products - Rigid Industries - Q series LED Lights), I knew immediately what i wanted to do with them. So, I picked up a pair of Black ones and started brainstorming. I mocked up some simple brackets for the lights, that I will refine after everything is done and running. Here is what i have so far.

Rigid Q-Series LED JK Rubicon Headlights

Worked out PERFECTLY!!!

Gotta get these and my VP Rigid Light bar wired up so I can get out and blind some wildlife.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

What happened to the cock signal I put over one headlight, woulda been cool backed by those lights.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
What happened to the cock signal I put over one headlight, woulda been cool backed by those lights.
As much as I agree with you and I really do hate removing any of the Nationals Cock tags, This one just wasnt gonna work. It got relocated

Side note: I also just noticed how completely JACKED UP my winch fairlead is . I guess i can add that to my short list of Nats/Worlds carnage.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOFEST View Post
Side note: I also just noticed how completely JACKED UP my winch fairlead is . I guess i can add that to my short list of Nats/Worlds carnage.
Just take that crap off.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Yep...This should work!

These lights are bananas!!

TURBO's JK Rubicon - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turbo's GCM JK TURBOFEST 1.9 Scale Rigs 30 03-01-2011 11:46 AM
TURBO'S first 1.9 comp venture... TURBOFEST Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 38 03-04-2010 02:06 PM
Turbo's Berg Build... TURBOFEST EnRoute Berg 22 01-15-2009 08:13 AM