Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Wraith Knuckles on SCX???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Wraith Knuckles on SCX???

Ok, so I stumbled on this axle at the cost of $160 completely setup. Its Hot Racing.

Hot Racing Axial SCX-10 Scale Truck RC Car upgrades and Hop-ups

Thoughts?
John
johnfm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfm3 View Post
Ok, so I stumbled on this axle at the cost of $160 completely setup. Its Hot Racing.

Hot Racing Axial SCX-10 Scale Truck RC Car upgrades and Hop-ups

Thoughts?
John
Will not increase steering. It's just aluminum upgrades of stock stuff.

Best way is what was mentioned before, doing the XR mod. XR/Wraith Chubs, Wraith Knuckles, Beef Tubes (homemade or bought), XR universals and some time. Add an overdrive to the front and it is even better. You can use the plastic knuckles and chubs too. They were designed to go on a 2.2 rig and are plenty strong. If you do break one dont feel forced into buying VP. Stuffs nice, but too expensive for my blood new.
alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the response. The XR mod (as I am learning its called) you an those before have expressed is where I am really pointing. Being a NOOB, I am making sure I look at all my options. I saw this one an figured that its probably about the same cost as going the XR mod route only I get a completely new axle.

Have you heard anything about the product? Whether its crap or just inexpensive decent quality product.

John
Old 03-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks for the response. The XR mod (as I am learning its called) you an those before have expressed is where I am really pointing. Being a NOOB, I am making sure I look at all my options. I saw this one an figured that its probably about the same cost as going the XR mod route only I get a completely new axle.

Have you heard anything about the product? Whether its crap or just inexpensive decent quality product.

John
HR stuff seems to be hit or miss, I personally only have their steel transmission gears and they are working great for me. That axle setup is just aluminum variations of stock components. The only thing you gain is rigidity, no increased steering or caster. Aluminum bites on rocks as well and that housing wont slide over them as well as plastic.

XR Mod
Narrow XR10 mod to Axial axles

I'm starting mine this week. I got XR uni's, plastic chubs and knuckles, OD gears, and some steel 1/8" pipe nipples to use as beef tubes. The pipe nipples just need cut and drilled/tapped, perfect OD already and WAY cheaper than buying aftermarket. I'm under $90 for this mod if all of it was bought (some was gifted for my birthday).
Old 03-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

I modded my tubes and did a narrow mod (same width as stock axle) to mine .
Badd's JYD build
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd View Post
I modded my tubes and did a narrow mod (same width as stock axle) to mine .
Badd's JYD build
I will also be doing the "narrow" mod to keep as close to stock width as possible. I have to keep the tires in tight to be legal for Class 2 scale comps.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

So I looked at the factory axial alum upgrade parts including the axle shafts. Looks like $110 plus tax an shipping. No I don't get increased steering. But I do get the strength I am looking for. I am still toying around with next winter setting up a partial (1/3) rear steer which can be turned on an off via the remote.

Way too many options. I am not set up to handle small machining such as the burly tubes would require. Which means added cost in small drill, drill bits, an tap. Burly tubes would be a easier choice if they would sell them pre drilled for stock. Use VP 8* C-Hubs, an away I would go. I am not impressed with RCBro's customer service so far. No way to call them, an they have not responded to my email which I sent via the form. I will give VP that, at least I had a person to talk to when I had questions about a possible purchase. That in its self is worth a little extra cost.

John

Last edited by johnfm3; 03-25-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #28
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
I am assuming that this is the Burly Tubes, XR C-Hubs, Wraith Knuckles? What was it I was suppose to grab the axle shafts from?

An you said about 1 inch. That kind of make sense to me since each side of the axle added about 1/2 inch of length with the burly tube. I just was sure if the knuckle/c-hub assembly was narrower to offset the added length of the burly tube.

John
correct. axle shafts are XR10 stock universals.

yeah the tubes add about 1" (1/2" per side) but the knuckles/Cs also add about .1" per side vs the SCX knuckles/Cs
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
I am assuming that this is the Burly Tubes, XR C-Hubs, Wraith Knuckles? What was it I was suppose to grab the axle shafts from?

An you said about 1 inch. That kind of make sense to me since each side of the axle added about 1/2 inch of length with the burly tube. I just was sure if the knuckle/c-hub assembly was narrower to offset the added length of the burly tube.

John
XR10 universals are what you're looking for.

If you go with the standard wide burly tubes, then you dont have to cut the xr10 shafts and you gain about 1/2" on each side like mentioned.

If you go with the narrow burly tubes, then you have to cut the xr10 shafts which will only widen the rig about 1/4" per side.

Replace the plastic for now, drive it and learn your rig. it'll help in the decision process later

Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Thanks to everyone who has provided advice an input on this. It looks like the biggest battle I am facing is myself being a NOOB in the scale arena. Probably the best thing to do is fix my rig to running again, an run it to see where my short comings are an then build to correct the short comings. I have this thread to come back to again to look over the options. At least I wont have to ask the same question over again... lol

More to come. I think a build thread is needed to start documenting this rig. Keep everyone posted.

John
Old 03-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #31
RcBros Hobbies

I'm sorry our customer service has been lacking? I haven't seen a pm from you, but would be happy to help. We are having some issues with our emails. I play with toy cars and haven't the slightest clue how to do website stuff so I was at the mercy of having to wait. I believe everything is working now.

We are working on getting several axial housing in stock to offer the mods already done. Please keep in mind, RcBros is by no means full time. So i'm limited to weekend and evenings when my work actually lets me be home lol.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro View Post
I'm sorry our customer service has been lacking? I haven't seen a pm from you, but would be happy to help. We are having some issues with our emails. I play with toy cars and haven't the slightest clue how to do website stuff so I was at the mercy of having to wait. I believe everything is working now.

We are working on getting several axial housing in stock to offer the mods already done. Please keep in mind, RcBros is by no means full time. So i'm limited to weekend and evenings when my work actually lets me be home lol.
If I wasnt a cheap wad these are tubes I would run. Skinny brass splined burly tubes, lots of weight up front and the splining option is sick
Old 03-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro View Post

No Worries. I sent a PM explaining. I wish you the best an will be keeping an eye on your product as I like the concept. At this time, its out of my skill an tool set.

Like I said in the PM, your product has had a lot of support from members on this forum.

Thanks for the response.
John
Old 03-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
No Worries. I sent a PM explaining. I wish you the best an will be keeping an eye on your product as I like the concept. At this time, its out of my skill an tool set.

Like I said in the PM, your product has had a lot of support from members on this forum.

Thanks for the response.
John
If tubes are aren't an option for you and you don't beat on your truck you can do the narrow xr mod without tubes.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
So I looked at the factory axial alum upgrade parts including the axle shafts. Looks like $110 plus tax an shipping. No I don't get increased steering. But I do get the strength I am looking for. I am still toying around with next winter setting up a partial (1/3) rear steer which can be turned on an off via the remote.

Way too many options. I am not set up to handle small machining such as the burly tubes would require. Which means added cost in small drill, drill bits, an tap. Burly tubes would be a easier choice if they would sell them pre drilled for stock. Use VP 8* C-Hubs, an away I would go. I am not impressed with RCBro's customer service so far. No way to call them, an they have not responded to my email which I sent via the form. I will give VP that, at least I had a person to talk to when I had questions about a possible purchase. That in its self is worth a little extra cost.

John
I just use a Ryobi hand drill, everyone should have one in his house anyway, so many uses! Drill bits are cheap, M3 tap cost me $7, all my other "machining" was done the hard way with a $10 hacksaw from Ace, a Leatherman, and a $15 file set I already had for reaming and shaping cork fishing rod grips. I'll eventually get a Dremel, but theres budget friendly ways to do it.

Cutting and making cheap beef tubes was the easy part, screw up and it's not much to replace. Axle housings are cheap too. The part that had me puckering was cutting and filing the $40 uni's, but go slow and be precise and you shouldnt have any issues. I've only been in RC for a little over 1-1/2 months. I could have invested the $40 I spent in stock aluminum replacements and bought a Dremel and done it right to start, but I'm a glutton for punishment.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

gotta have a dremel. I use it almost as much as I do hex drivers. lol
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

My tool set is for 1:1 rigs. Cutting torch, welder, air compressor, air tools such, 18v Ryobi drill. Give me time, after I get some things taken care of I will own the tools needed for this as well. It will probably be this coming winter.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

I use wideners from RC4WD and use all different types of aluminum products found on eBay. I haven't had any thing fail as of yet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
onecool54@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #39
Pebble Pounder

So I ended up going with STRC SCX c-hubs an knuckles for now. The fit was ok. I am thinking of using some shrink wrap on the bolts which attach the knuckle to the c-hub to see if I can take up some of the play between the bolt an the king pin bushing (Axial Flange Pipe). Other wise I am stoked to get my SCX back on the road. On another thread I have I have started going over idea's for links. I think its time to start a build thread on this rig. Document from the beginning how it started till now.

John

Wraith Knuckles on SCX??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can i reuse the wraith VP chub and wraith VP knuckles on the SCX kit? bikeboy Axial Wraith 4 06-26-2013 12:03 PM
VP Wraith knuckles or VP XR10 knuckles? Illeagle Axial Wraith 21 09-21-2012 09:33 PM