Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: [HELP] 2s vs 3s Combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default [HELP] 2s vs 3s Combo

so ive been debating for a while now what to do with my scx rig, my current setup is an ae-2, integy 35t, geared 87t/18t on a 2s nano tech 5000mah 60c lipo, and i like the speed, but i would like more torque, when i get too twisted up my motor gets hot and i would hateto burn up a motor out on the trail and have to swap it out.

also with such a huge pack it pisses me off because im ocd and i like everything even on both side of my rig, i cant run 2 packs in parallel because i would be adding POUNDS to my rig and i dont want that, plus i hate when it leans a bit to the left or teh right because the lipo shifts.

anyhow, i just picked up a sidewinder sv2 programmed for brushed motors and 200% drag brake, and 4 3s 2200 mah packs, now my question is how long will these smaller packs last in my rig with normal maybe 75% throttle peak but mostly low speed crawling? with my 2s packs i was getting nothing less than an 1 hour of run time then a slow decline in power, also what should my gearing be? the same 87t/18t..? 87t/16t..? or 18t/20t..?
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You can run two 2200mah packs on the sliders in parallel. You'll want to gear down a bit going to 3s from 2s.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I would run the 2200 packs in saddle formation and go 87/16...you should get at least an hours run time maybe an hour and a half...depending on throttle use
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Default Re: [HELP] 2s vs 3s Combo

so from 18t to a 16t on the pinion? im running wb8 driveshafts right now and i have yet to have one fail on me with a 12lb rig so that should show you how easy i am on the throttle lol very very light footed, so basically in saddle on the sliders then parallel on the connector on the esc? should i dial down my throttle percentage on my remote? i really dont wanna have to go MIP on my shafts, just want some extra wheel speed on the climbs and a little more torque on the rocks.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yes on gear an saddle packs in parallel....run driveshafts till they twist
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

12lbs? Wb dshafts with 48p gearing? You, sir, have alot of throttle control

Normally I aim for 5:1-6:1 ratio at the spur/pinion, accounting for an axial drivetrain. Closer to 6 would probably be better for your electronics and that heavy of a rig.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
Yes on gear an saddle packs in parallel....run driveshafts till they twist
lmao and when they doo i have at least 4 sets of shafts for backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
12lbs? Wb dshafts with 48p gearing? You, sir, have alot of throttle control

Normally I aim for 5:1-6:1 ratio at the spur/pinion, accounting for an axial drivetrain. Closer to 6 would probably be better for your electronics and that heavy of a rig.
ha i really do, im more of a realistic crawler i dont like just soaring over obstacles, i like the technical side of scaling more than the speedy side.
so an 87t/15t combo? that would put me at just under 6:1 ratio.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #8

To help the wb shafts to last longer. Fill the inside of the male shaft with a piece of plastic from a parts tree that fits in it snugly leave about 5 mm hanging out the end of it. Use silicone to hold it into the male end. My buddy did it to his wraith got 6+ months out of them running 3s and brushless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Heavyhaul07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyhaul07 View Post
To help the wb shafts to last longer. Fill the inside of the male shaft with a piece of plastic from a parts tree that fits in it snugly leave about 5 mm hanging out the end of it. Use silicone to hold it into the male end. My buddy did it to his wraith got 6+ months out of them running 3s and brushless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
ive heard of using all thread or a bolt with the head cutoff, do you know what part of the parts tree he used?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:14 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

well do you want to upgrade your tranny gears and axle gears and c hubs and knuckles and cvd's? 3s imo is too much power for a scx10. try 2s on a good 27 turn motor. more power just seems to beat up the truck way faster. imo the intigy motors are not that great for crawlers. try a holms hobbies pro motor if you want a nice amount of power. right now i run 2s on a old 27 turn race motor i have had for a long time on 87t/16t gearing with pit bull tires and i feel like i have way more power than i need. my motor doesnt even have that much toque since it was built for top end and not bottom end.
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by some87 View Post
well do you want to upgrade your tranny gears and axle gears and c hubs and knuckles and cvd's? 3s imo is too much power for a scx10. try 2s on a good 27 turn motor. more power just seems to beat up the truck way faster. imo the intigy motors are not that great for crawlers. try a holms hobbies pro motor if you want a nice amount of power. right now i run 2s on a old 27 turn race motor i have had for a long time on 87t/16t gearing with pit bull tires and i feel like i have way more power than i need. my motor doesnt even have that much toque since it was built for top end and not bottom end.
My entire truck is bomb proof except for the plastic spur and wb shafts, purposely so that when something fails it's cheap and easily accessible.

As far as 3s I want to switch due to using smaller lighter packs and I plan to dial down my throttle on my remote maybe to 75% and reverse to 50%
Old 04-16-2014, 12:19 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

only problem with the 2200 3s packs is you might get about 30 minuts of run time. at least i know on my old comp rig i would get about 8 minutes max. as for the spur that is the best thing you can do is keep it plastic. you shouldnt have to dial down your throttle and reverse as long as your responsible with them know when to use the full amount of power. newer people tend to just punch it when they get into a bind and break lots of stuff that way.
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by some87 View Post
only problem with the 2200 3s packs is you might get about 30 minuts of run time. at least i know on my old comp rig i would get about 8 minutes max. as for the spur that is the best thing you can do is keep it plastic. you shouldnt have to dial down your throttle and reverse as long as your responsible with them know when to use the full amount of power. newer people tend to just punch it when they get into a bind and break lots of stuff that way.
That sounds reasonable, and I agree with you on he newer guys with no 1:1 trail experience that just fly through and over things. Ill be running the 2200s in parallel and have an extra pair of 2200s in my pack ready to swap out. If anything I can get 3300s or something a little bit bigger.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I run 2200 3s with a pro4 in my rock bouncer and get about an hour out of them.... WB shafts lasted 2 runs with wood dowling in them lol
Rockridge is offline   Reply With Quote

[HELP] 2s vs 3s Combo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sxc10 truggy in da works , help me decide: fxr combo or Holmes combo trialsallday Electronics 5 07-18-2012 02:00 PM
novak goat brushless combo or rooster brushed combo? killerklod007 Electronics 6 04-08-2009 08:35 AM
rooster combo vs. tekin combo jreckner Electronics 28 10-12-2008 08:36 AM