Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Advice for choosing a new body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 04:09 AM   #1

Default Advice for choosing a new body

Hello,

I'm trying to find a replacement body for the stock Power Ram SCX10 body.

I'm looking for something as scale as possible (headlights, taillights, complete interior, exterior details - mirrors, wipers, front grills, etc), that would accommodate the new SCX10 II tires (link) which are bigger than the stock Ripsaws.

What body should I choose that would fit the new bigger tires, without chopping it?
I would prefer keeping the ~313 mm wheelbase I currently have.

For example, will the RC4WD Chevy Blazer hard body (link) accommodate the bigger Axial 1.9 BFGoodrich tires?

Here is how the current body sits with the new, bigger wheels:
SCX10 II BFGoodrich tires - Imgur

Thanks!
devuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Advice for choosing a new body

You would have to do some cutting on the RC4WD body to get those tires to clear. Mounting that body will also take some work but that shouldn't be too hard.

Due to the drop bed, you will either have to cut holes in the bed for the shock hoops, or use an inboard shock kit (or fab up your own).
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #3

If I am not mistaken the rc4wd blazer body is an 11.3" wheel base and your chassis is a 12.3".
Chris83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I love this place everyone's so exact. Saves a lot of money on potentially expensive mistakes to those of us who can't fabricate stuff etc. Always best to ask questions, I've made so many mistakes !!!!
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
You would have to do some cutting on the RC4WD body to get those tires to clear. Mounting that body will also take some work but that shouldn't be too hard.

Due to the drop bed, you will either have to cut holes in the bed for the shock hoops, or use an inboard shock kit (or fab up your own).
Thanks for the reply.

I butchered the power ram body already, i don't want to butcher an expensive one (like the rc4wd chevy), because I'm sure that, knowing my skill set (and tools), the end result wouldn't be a good one - link

What are my other body options, that would clear those tires and have a scale look?

I'm trying to find out the wheel wells dimensions for this cherokee body (link). It seems that it would fit better than the rc4wd ones. The problem with it is that it doesn't have an interior...
Old 08-10-2016, 02:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris83 View Post
If I am not mistaken the rc4wd blazer body is an 11.3" wheel base and your chassis is a 12.3".
I made the current 12.3" links myself using the traxxas rods and threaded bars, so I could build other (although I don't know the links widths needed for a 11.3" wheelbase... )
Old 08-10-2016, 02:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
I love this place everyone's so exact. Saves a lot of money on potentially expensive mistakes to those of us who can't fabricate stuff etc. Always best to ask questions, I've made so many mistakes !!!!
I think the fabrication part can be handled in most cases, the "what to fabricate" is the problem.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Yeah the Ram body is pretty small and has to be hacked quite a bit to clear larger tires. I'm planning on another build with that body but its going to use small tires.

The EASIEST way would be the Axial Jeep Unlimited body and roll cage. It will clear the tires and there are aftermarket 3D printed parts available such as door handles, door hinges, wipers, grilles, etc. There are more detailed hard bodies (such as New Bright 4 door Jeep or the China XJ) out there, but they are going to require you to at a minimum figure out a mount for the body. That can be as simple as a bent piece of scrap aluminum and Velcro. Some of them may also require front mounted motors, relocating shocks, etc if you are wanting to run a full interior.

Skim through the picture threads and find a body you like then search on here for that body for more details. There are tons of skilled builders on here to get ideas from.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
Yeah the Ram body is pretty small and has to be hacked quite a bit to clear larger tires. I'm planning on another build with that body but its going to use small tires.

The EASIEST way would be the Axial Jeep Unlimited body and roll cage. It will clear the tires and there are aftermarket 3D printed parts available such as door handles, door hinges, wipers, grilles, etc. There are more detailed hard bodies (such as New Bright 4 door Jeep or the China XJ) out there, but they are going to require you to at a minimum figure out a mount for the body. That can be as simple as a bent piece of scrap aluminum and Velcro. Some of them may also require front mounted motors, relocating shocks, etc if you are wanting to run a full interior.

Skim through the picture threads and find a body you like then search on here for that body for more details. There are tons of skilled builders on here to get ideas from.

Although it's been done, done, and done again, the Unlimited body kit really is a great base for a scale lexan body. You can keep it simple or go all out with scale detail, and it'll generally be more durable than styrene. I hope they won't discontinue that kit anytime soon, because I could see myself getting another one, some day.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #10

Look at what I found on the axial website: Axial Racing - 2000 Jeep® Cherokee Body - .040" (Clear) - Complete

I'm definitely getting one of those.

Meanwhile, I'm going to check out this body to see if it fits my scx: new bright jeep.

Advice for choosing a new body - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dilemma in choosing types of axles, advice please. novaris Newbie General 2 10-14-2015 10:05 PM
choosing a body Sethhh Paint and Body 0 03-27-2013 07:22 PM
Need advice choosing ESC for Honcho yellorover Axial SCX-10 20 01-01-2010 03:36 PM
advice for choosing a first crwaler dirtymike Newbie General 11 09-07-2009 06:41 PM
Newbie seeking advice on choosing tires for Wheely King to make it more realistic painter4x4 Newbie General 13 06-14-2008 09:10 PM