Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Shock upgrade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 05:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Shock upgrade?

I just finished my build and i can tell the stock shocks will need to be replaced, so I will do that first. How are the Proline shocks? I've read some good reviews about them here. Would I run the stock springs with the Proline shocks?
SerpentCT4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Shock upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S View Post
I just finished my build and i can tell the stock shocks will need to be replaced, so I will do that first. How are the Proline shocks? I've read some good reviews about them here. Would I run the stock springs with the Proline shocks?
What's wrong with the stockers? Do you use any kind of shock o-ring slime? Gives almost any shock a smooth feel.. Tlr shock grease.. I'm only guessing if that's your issue with the stockers?
hairumuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I had to sand down the diaphragm some on all but 1 to get them to feel nice like warm butter.
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I built them once and they felt sluggish and like they were binding a little. So I rebuilt them today after watching a videovideo on YouTube, I used green slime. They feel better but still not super smooth. I can get the Prolines cheap, so I thought, why not.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:41 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S View Post
I built them once and they felt sluggish and like they were binding a little. So I rebuilt them today after watching a videovideo on YouTube, I used green slime. They feel better but still not super smooth. I can get the Prolines cheap, so I thought, why not.
Orings could be swollen out the package,wich sucks.Trust me on the tlr oring grease, better than ae green slime, butter smooth. https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-lo...FVE0aQodrJQJrw

Last edited by hairumuffin; 06-07-2016 at 07:45 PM.
hairumuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Give the stock shocks a chance. I run the Icons on my G6 and the Pro-Line Scalers on another rig (a D90), and the Pro-Lines are not any better than the Icons. I used a little AE green slime on the shaft and the stock 30W oil to start in my II. I haven't given it a full shakedown yet, but from what I can see on the bench and in the garage, they look like they're going to perform very well.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:31 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

If your truck is on the table and you push down the front or rear, do they compress right away, or is there a hesitation like it's binding for a second? That's how mine are.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Mine are smooth now, but they weren't at first. The Pistons come off the tree with burrs. So I clean up the pistons carefully. Then dry fit them to make sure they moved smoothly. Then applied oring grease and stock 30wt oil. They cycle smoothly now.

I do have a question about a shock replacement option for a scale look, anyone try the RC4WD ultimate shocks? Are they smooth and tuneable? I see they offer a tuning spring kit with 4 sets of springs. Any thoughts? Or Old Man Emus?
gsgraber92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I built mine last night and they are definitely binding a little. I'm going to do a little sanding and see if they get better. I was never impressed with the Icon shocks on my G6 because they leaked like crazy (even when green slimed), but these just aren't smooth at all.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Doesn't the kit come with the machined pistons? I thought I read that somewhere in the instructions? *Guess I didn't read that correctly!* Shit that might be a upgrade I will order before my kit even gets here then...

Last edited by Stoph; 06-08-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Stoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

pro line power stroke shocks are great. look great and perform great. but not a must have mod. some oil and driver mod should make up for the stock shocks for the first few runs while you enjoy the new truck!
ScGRaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Default Shock upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgraber92 View Post
I do have a question about a shock replacement option for a scale look, anyone try the RC4WD ultimate shocks? Are they smooth and tuneable? I see they offer a tuning spring kit with 4 sets of springs. Any thoughts? Or Old Man Emus?

The internally sprung shocks look great but aren't as tunable as coil overs because there's no collar to adjust spring tension. The RC4WD Ultimates and Emus work great as dampers without springs on a leaf-spring truck if you use thick oil (like 5k diff oil thick).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by new2rocks; 06-08-2016 at 08:49 AM.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:06 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

That's good to know on the internal sprung shocks. i just didn't know with the available springs if a guy could get them tuned right or not. They look cool tho. I'll stick with stockers for now, no reason to change at the moment. They are holding oil and cycle smoothly.
gsgraber92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
The internally sprung shocks look great but aren't as tunable as coil overs because there's no collar to adjust spring tension. The RC4WD Ultimates and Emus work great as dampers without springs on a leaf-spring truck if you use thick oil (like 5k diff oil thick).
Have to agree with this 100%, cant understand why people want internaly sprung shocks on there scalers who dont have leafs.

The Proline scale shocks are good. but I dont think they are any big upgrade from Icon shocks. My experience with Icons are very good, they look good and preformes good. If they dont preform, I think its best to look into your shock building skills and maybe upgrade those instead
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I definitely missed the machined pistons of the older kits. This truck has the same pistons the old RTR trucks had (molded on a parts tree). I think i'm gonna swap the Icons off of my Rubicon as they are much smoother. Just trying to keep costs down I would assume they did it to help offset the machined ring and pinion gears.
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Anyone that have tried the King Shocks 100mm without the fake reservoir? They have a bigger shock body diameter and a different piston then the King Shocks with reservoir. If they perform better maybe?

Without
King Off-Road Dual Spring Shocks (100mm Medium OD)

With
King Off-Road Scale Piggyback Shocks w/Faux Reservoir (100mm)
Haziza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:24 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Shocks are my least favorite part of building a kit.

I got the preload adjustment collars trimmed up, then trimmed and sanded the pistons down to a tolerable level, and then I lost one of the tiny freakin e clips! I ended up swiping the Icons off my comp rig and ordered Pro Lines for that. I'll see if they are worth the extra $$.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:18 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziza View Post
Anyone that have tried the King Shocks 100mm without the fake reservoir? They have a bigger shock body diameter and a different piston then the King Shocks with reservoir. If they perform better maybe?
They would still be crap, and 100mm to to long.
The reason is the kings have untreated aliminium housings that contaminates the oil, and to bid holes on the piston so the oil passes through to easy. you need very thick oil to tune them, and its also difficult to get the amount of oil correct. If you want that kind of shocks there are replicas on ebay for a fraction of the price that is even better cus they have smaller holes on the piston and have anodising on the shock body. But anyway, 100mm is to long.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:27 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default Shock upgrade?

Different piston on the ones without piggys as well bigger shockbodies, I prefer them to be 100mm they have the same travel as the icons 30mm.

I guess i have to try to tweak them with different o-rings and some red rubber grease, never been a fan of icon shocks!

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by Haziza; 06-14-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Haziza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:07 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

here is a king copy, they have at least anodizing on the shock bodys
90mm Aluminum Shock Absorber Set 4pcs for RC Rock Crawlers CC01 D90 SCX10 | eBay
4X Piggy Back Aluminum 90mm Shock Absorber for Crawler RC 1 10 Off Road Car Blue | eBay
GDS Racing High Performance Shock Damper for 1 10 RC Car Crawler 90mm 4pcs | eBay

Shock upgrade? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock upgrade RCompensated21 Vaterra Ascender 1 10-26-2015 11:31 AM
Shock upgrade 2HicksRC Axial SCX-10 3 02-17-2014 08:40 AM
Shock upgrade? devious Redcat Crawlers 9 12-18-2012 08:39 PM
shock upgrade yazholes General Scale Talk 2 12-05-2011 05:27 AM
AX-10 Shock upgrade. calikingcrawler Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 05-15-2009 04:37 AM