Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Shock upgrade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #1

Default Shock upgrade?

I have did some searching here on forum and havent found anything(unless i was looking in wrong place)But what would be a good shock up grade for this crawler? And where do you suggest to get them? One other question and it maybe a dumb one, is it better to weight the wheels or weight the chassis?
devious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #2

Default Re: Shock upgrade?

weight the wheels/axles to keep CoG as low as possible. no clue on the answer to the other questions!
dropstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by devious View Post
I have did some searching here on forum and havent found anything(unless i was looking in wrong place)But what would be a good shock up grade for this crawler? And where do you suggest to get them? One other question and it maybe a dumb one, is it better to weight the wheels or weight the chassis?
Most shocks are pretty much universal , just depends on what length you want / options of springs / and how your mounting them. Tuning them to your liking is key.
There are fancy shocks with external resivors / threaded bodys for height and sag set up / shocks that are internally sprung , and some made for droop setups.
Pretty much depends on your set up , what your doing with it ? length and location. Look at other crawler sections to get a better idea of differant setups and go for what ya like.
As for weight , I like light chassis with weight over the axles low as possible. Some wheel weight is fine , but I'd rather have dead weight over rolling weight .
G's ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Like others have said you want the weight down low and in the wheels is probably the best option. More weight in the front than the back aswell to help when climbing. With the shocks G's gave a good description and I totally agree. It all depends on what YOUR after. With crawlers most people go with a sprung setup not droop. But why do you want to change your shocks? Stock are pretty good. Instead of changing shocks you can change the settings on the stock ones. With different mounting positions and weight's of oils, springs can be changed for softer or harder. But if your going to get different shocks the losi comp crawler shocks and traxxas big bores are the best choice.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I personally like a semi droop setup . I like that my tires drop down over obstacles to give me traction where if it were full sprung they would be up In the air.
I'm running a ghetto semi droop by setting my stock shocks so the belly is at 3" or so , then I cut 4 coils off springs to let it come down a 1/4" or so. That gives me a good ride height , lower cog , good up travel and about 30% or more droop. On the down side without a smaller internal spring to keep them loaded down it will pull up when throttled. Too lazy and it works really well overall to make me change it up.
I was thinking of going with longer threaded shocks , and using shorter softer springs with heavy oil to archive a better more adjustable droop setup. Or just but the gmade transition droop shocks ? Time will tell.
G's ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Yeah G's I know from your build that you ran a bit of droop so I didn't say all people run sprung setups.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

hey there guys, these are the shocks that i am looking to buy, Miscellaneous All Aluminum Shocks Set for Rock Crawler and Truck (4) 102mm TopCad 80117 should help to stop my tyres rubbing on my coils in my current setup. my question is what weight oil is a good baseline to start with???
d_j_stockton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:02 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Hi mate I just noticed your from oz too Welcome to the forum! The shocks would probably work reasonably well and now I see the reasoning for the new shocks. I'm guessing they are internally sprung so you won't have the coils in the way. Since you live over here and it's summer you'll probably need slightly different weight oil due to the heat. I would give 35 weight shock oil and go from there. It's all about trial and error with suspension.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Hey pajey, I to am also from Queensland, north brisse to be precise. Thanks for the advice. Where is qld are you from.
d_j_stockton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
RCC Addict

A little south of brissy mate but still real close I mean you can see the skyscrapers when on a big hill.

Shock upgrade? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shock upgrade yazholes General Scale Talk 2 12-05-2011 05:27 AM
Shock upgrade jordi555 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 6 01-03-2010 01:19 AM
Shock upgrade ? DRV KRAWLER Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 12-30-2008 07:07 PM
Shock Upgrade m3kan1k Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 05-08-2008 11:03 PM
Best shock upgrade bi_eep General Crawlers 2 06-27-2006 02:05 PM