Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Amoney's SCX10 II Build Thread: Getting back into it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 12:38 PM   #1

Default Amoney's SCX10 II Build Thread: Getting back into it

Whats up guys! Long time member, new account. I have not had a crawler since 2009. I took about a 5 year hiatus from RC completely and have been getting back into it over the past two years. The rc shop I run at called Super-G, well we all randomly got into getting crawlers again, we all bought the new SCX10 II kits and it all started. Now we try to run a couple times a week. Anyway let me not bore you on with the pics.

Here it is right after I finished it, I test ran it outside and then took it to the Rc shop to get some LED's since we were going to Recon G6 in 3 days.
Mod List: at this point
- Tekin 35T Motor & esc combo
- OMG High speed, High torque Servo
- Pro-Line Super Swamper XL's and Proline Beadlocks

Since we were going to Recon G6 I didn't really know what to expect I've never been to a crawling event, but i wanted a winch.

Got the truck kind of dialed in also got the lights installed, built, driven 20 mins, then took it to Recon G6. What a blast, i didn't get many pictures because i was having too much fun. truck handled like a champ and the winch was put to use for myself and others.

Added a couple more things too it,
- Inner Body (not finished yet)
- RC4WD Mickey Thompson's
- Xtra Speed Front and Rear Bumpers (garbage don't buy them)
- Cut fenders

One of my buddies didn't want his body, so i bought it to do a oem style body.
I kept the original lexan bumpers but i tore them off the first day lol. Lights were masked to do tailights. Only pictures i have of it with the bumpers

Amoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2017, 12:49 PM   #2

Default Re: Amoney's SCX10 II Build Thread: Getting back into it

And here is how it sits now. Some stuff isn't pictured, but don't worry now that i made a thread i will take more pictures.
Current Modlist:
Everything listed previously and
-SSD Front Bumper (best one I've seen yet)
-Vanquish Rockjock Currie Axle Front

Old 01-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nice build.What light bar is that?
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traulus View Post
Nice build.What light bar is that?
Mytrick Rc offroad light kit
Old 01-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoney View Post
And here is how it sits now. Some stuff isn't pictured, but don't worry now that i made a thread i will take more pictures.
Current Modlist:
Everything listed previously and
-SSD Front Bumper (best one I've seen yet)
-Vanquish Rockjock Currie Axle Front

that gingerbread house doesnt look very scale. maybe add macaroni roof tiles
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
that gingerbread house doesnt look very scale. maybe add macaroni roof tiles
Yeah its about 1/24 scale haha.

So got some goods in the mail yesterday. Was going to the Rc spot later so i had to get the new parts on to test them out.
- Incision Steel link set
- SSD Knuckles
- SSD Knuckle weights

After a quick install, onto Super G. Here i finally got a shot of the light output. Truck did great. I need to upgrade my servo after running, it cant handle the weight of the axle weights. Cant wait for my rear axle to get here, the rear end was a little light not having either a metal axle or weights. My steering increased by so much that my tires hit the lower links, have to fix that next.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:54 AM   #7

No shelf queen here. Putting these curries to use.

Anyway, got a delivery from vanquish today. Got my rear axle and rear axle shafts.

Last edited by Amoney; 01-06-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:38 AM   #8

So been working on the the truck a little bit more. i like how one of my friends scx10.2 was driving with his 100mm shocks so i wanted a set as well. I went with the RC4WD King shocks because honestly i like the licensed products. it adds even more realism which i think is pretty cool. To contradict my statement i swapped the super swampers for the Hyrax tires LOL.

Awesome Details on these

Size Comparison

Just a quick flex test.

Next up was changing up tires to the Hyrax.

Slightly taller then the super swampers

This is where i saw the real difference in heights

Took it out to the pathway in front of my house. The clearance was way better than it was and i am able to hit up steeper rocks i wasn't able too before.

Then i started working on my driver for the interior. A tamiya piece.

Getting there, don't mind the tape, was waiting for arms glue to dry. and don't mind him texting and driving on the trail, or is he getting some shots for the instagram.

Anyway thats all for now, I also installed a New Savox servo, which ill post some pictures later.

Last edited by Amoney; 01-10-2017 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:26 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Very nice build. What foams are you using in the Hyrax ties? And have you noticed any changes in C/G or top heavy by changing to the taller shocks? Thanks.
luckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:38 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I love the look of the Curries and King shocks. Also interested in any CG changes but I think you added enough weight down low to offset it.
fortyeightjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckster View Post
Very nice build. What foams are you using in the Hyrax ties? And have you noticed any changes in C/G or top heavy by changing to the taller shocks? Thanks.
Thanks man appreciate it. Im using the Pro-Line memory foams from the Super Swampers i had. I try to run alot of droop. To keep the truck a little lower. I would prefer to have more shock mounting locations to get the shocks slightly higher. thus lowering the truck. But with the ability to actually adjust the shocks even though the truck sits higher it still handles better than my stock shocks. (which would leak every run) Making tuning them useless. So as far as being top heavy to me it performs better than it did and the weight of the curries and ssd knuckle weights help. i do however need vanquish to make a weight for the rear axle. i still get slight lift in the rear but it was been greatly reduced with being able to have a stiffer shock in the rear but still have some droop. (Side Note) My friend is running 103mm shocks with no springs and some bumpstops, that thing stays planted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyeightjake View Post
I love the look of the Curries and King shocks. Also interested in any CG changes but I think you added enough weight down low to offset it.
Yeah the weight down low helped alot, plus running some droop, i also moved the spare tire into the truck now to get rid of that upper weight. Will be testing it tonight for real so ill get some better results.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

The default springs for the King shocks are med/med(blue/blue) front and rear. It is sprung a bit harder than the SCX10.2 kit springs so you might not need that much preload as all your weight is unsprung. I run White/blue in the front and yellow/blue in the back so the truck isn't so "jacked" up. but looks nice nonetheless.
triggerhapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerhapy View Post
The default springs for the King shocks are med/med(blue/blue) front and rear. It is sprung a bit harder than the SCX10.2 kit springs so you might not need that much preload as all your weight is unsprung. I run White/blue in the front and yellow/blue in the back so the truck isn't so "jacked" up. but looks nice nonetheless.
The spring set is one of my next things to order.

So i tested the truck out and its a little roll happy with my current spring setup/shock placement. But it started raining when i went to test the truck and i got to test out the hyrax tires on wet rocks. They did great like it was not even raining honestly, they clear water pretty well. here is the only pics i got of the rain run (keeping the phone dry)

Got a couple more goodies from vanquish. Shaft for the trans (installing later date) and their new servo arm. The servo arm is pretty beefy i included pictures of it next to my old hot racing one.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:43 AM   #14

And the piece of resistance, my Cherokee hardbody arrived! Only took two weeks but it has finally showed up. The body is perfect in size IMO fits the stock rear bumper, fits perfect with the ssd bumper, can mount it lower to bring the cog down. i am very happy with it.

Here it is at the start of mock up, debating how to mount it.

Notes for myself on what holes to fill etc. im going to use stock body posts in rear and use allens up front.

Taking deep breaths i drilled two holes into my fresh body.

Fits pretty dang nice.

Next was to mount the front, i used some trickery and used my Jack as the front mounting point into a extra set of body post waiting underneath.

Now to deal with our heavy rubbing problem. This made me cringe because if i knew i messed up there is 100 bucks down the drain. so with much patience i got them to come out exactly how i wanted.

Here we go fingers crossed

One down, my goal was to cut enough for clearance and cut the little screw holes off from the stock fender mounting locations.

Rear marked and ready

Bam cut/sanded/rounded and test mounted up (the rear looks squared off because of left over pen marks)

And going to be painting it this color and will be laying about 4 coats of automotive clear over it.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:32 AM   #15

Another update, got the body all painted up still need to add the inner body back in and find some windshield wipers and install some little things.

The start of body filling.

no need for stock rear bumper

Sanded after i primered it it still had some high spots but got it smoother

Before i layed the clear on.

Shot of it with the clear, couldnt get one better with the sun.

And here is where i started doing some of the detail work. windows, window trims, roof rack and painted certain areas matte black

Also not too happy about losing the spring cup, 8 bucks and 9 for shipping what a joke. Ordered the spring set since i was paying shipping anyway.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:10 AM   #16

That's pretty nice. I don't think I've seen this particular colour before, look perfect!

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
Sebhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Awesome build brother! Love it actually. IMO put those damn TSL's back on her. Not a fan of the HY not scale Rax. I really dig the new body and your fender cuts!!!!! Can I ask where you picked the body up from?
doubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Looking sweet, got a set of Hyrax's myself that I am going to stick the Pro-Line Dual Stage Foams in to help with mounting them a bit, plus I hear it really makes a big difference in the tires. Also got a set of Voodoo KLR's Silver, will be interesting to compare the two . Just have to wait for VP to return my front axle, popped one of the screw heads off when I was trying to screw in the diff cover, it went in odd, went to unscrew it and off came the head of the screw so had to send it in so they could access my gears and get new parts and or replace it, not sure how that is going down but should probably have it back sometime next week.

Might get Samix Front and Rear Shock Plates, see them on amain and in back order status at the moment but it looks like they add quite a few shock mounting points 9 for the front and 9 for the back from what I can see in the photos.

Last edited by malickie; 01-21-2017 at 01:00 PM.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

*sigh* Now I really want a hardbody. Nice looking rig. Maybe I can convince my wife this is what I need for my birthday next month....

-M
Pilot_MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:03 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Amoney,

Any idea if these two kits are the same??

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MT...3wL&ref=plSrch

https://www.asiatees.com/display?Axi...d=119020&pid=1

The specs are the same but I am not entirely sure.

-M
Pilot_MM is offline   Reply With Quote

Amoney's SCX10 II Build Thread: Getting back into it - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My SCX10 Honcho Build Thread caleb.cole Axial SCX-10 25 02-20-2018 08:50 PM
My SCX10 Build Thread (Stormtrooper) r34gtrgodzilla Axial SCX-10 58 11-30-2014 03:05 PM
Ford SCX10 build thread Hydro-Tank Axial SCX-10 49 07-19-2011 03:19 AM
Deven's Scx10 Build thread devenaberger Axial SCX-10 11 06-29-2011 10:25 PM
Back to Basic Clod Super Build thread. run2jeepn Tamiya Clod Buster 49 12-19-2008 02:21 AM