Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Toka's crazy plum build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Toka's crazy plum build

I finally bought an scx-10 ii. I have been waiting for the lhs to get some in. I know I could have just gotten one from tower but supporting the local hobby is always a plus. I was planning on getting a kit, but instead I settled on a rtr. The only real part I was kinda wanting was the cargo rack so that is on order. The stock tranny will soon be one its way out anyways.
Right out of the box. Same as almost every other one on here.

Being that it was a rtr I knew there were a few issues I wanted to address right away. The flex was actually better the the older scx-10 out of the box. Sitting on my display rock.

My scx-10 on the same rock

Simp!e and easy fix. Remove the spacers/bump stops on the shocks.

I did also flip the rear shock mounts and moved them one hole forward. This lays the shocks down a bit more while keeping the stock body mount hole in the same location. Allowing more flex along with other things.

Sooo much better.

Still not as much as the old Chevy but there is no weight in the truck yet.

A few other little things was to bring the bumpers in a little bit. The rear I just moved in one hole. The front I had to cut about 1/2 inch off the mount then drilled new holes. I can moving it in some more but I'm planning on adding a 3r winch when it shows up.

Since the stock body looks so much like my old pro line body.

I decided to copy my original paint job of that body.

So here is where I am at now. Pulled the stickers off and sanded the body down to lay some paint.

Still
Waiting for the the purple to dry before I mask off the fenders and lower panels for the satin black.

Might actually get to run it tomorrow.

Last edited by toka100; 02-10-2017 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Auto correct leaves some interesting results
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2017, 05:57 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Toka's crazy plum build

Repaint finished. Need to pick up some extra body clips for the door handles.

Going to run it today down by the river. There is no rocks around here so its mostly sand. Kinda sucks��. Starting to order parts for the build. I'm looking for a true scale look. That means 1.7s or 1.5s with tires no taller then 3.7". Haven't decided yet if I want to make my own inner fenders or just order the GRC ones. They do look really good.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:09 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

A couple of pictures today. Just a few short runs today. I did kinda push the truck.. Even getting jammed up a few times nothing broke. The steering servo did stall out a few times though. Already knew I was going to need that replaced.

Really like how it is sitting in this one. Body level yet one tire tucked way up in the fender.

Wall walking

I have a crappy vid. Just a bad angle that I might post up if I can edit it enough.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
No idea what I'm doing

I remember that old Jeep
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I remember that old Jeep
It still is my favorite build on that truck. Run it, break something, and upgrade 😀

When the out Saturday and bought a action cam from Walmart. A go-pro want--a-be. It isn't all that bad for $60. Took a bunch of video but since I've never done the whole selfie stick thing slot of it was quiet over the top of the body. I did get some OK shots out of it. Here is how it came out.

https://youtu.be/Yo06vo4eF3g
Old 02-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Small update.

Picked up a warn 9.5t winch with wired controller. Not a direct bolt on. I have to drill a few more holes to mount it. I did get the roller fairlead to bolt onto the stock position. It was missing the red pull strap that the site says is included. A bit of a bummer

I also started building floor boards and inner fender wells. I need to clean the edges up a bit. The shape should not cause any rubbing at full flex.

Rear floor.

Passenger side wheel well.

View through back window.

The shock towers are going to be hidden in a fake sub box. I have a left over scale 12" audiobahn sub and amp i'm mounting I'm there.

That box should be big enough to hide some electronics in it.

I need to pick up some styrene strips tomorrow to fill in some of the gaps between the body and the floor. If I can find some thin enough strips. I will add some floorpan ridges on the underside for a real look.

Last edited by toka100; 02-17-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Finished the sub box. I still had some speaker grill material from my 1:1 car. I covered the box with it. Really has that scale look. Has enough room for the winch controller and light controller. Might even be able to stuff the receiver in there. The amp and sub are both going to be painted before they are finally mounted.

I still need to sand and paint the wheel wells but they look good.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Added the proline hid light bar this week. Installing the LEDs was a bit harder then they make it out to be but they are in there and the wires are well hidden.

Going to paint the wires black eventually. I liquid taped all the joints and the light controller to keep them waterproof.

I modified the two outside LEDs on the bar from round to flat tops for a wide angle effect.

Seems to work. More apparent in this picture

Still waiting on parts to start showing up for the axles and suspension. Got my leaf springs in so I'm building hangers and brackets for them.

The stock wheels look slot better with a chrome center
Old 02-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toka100 View Post

Still waiting on parts to start showing up for the axles and suspension. Got my leaf springs in so I'm building hangers and brackets for them.

The stock wheels look slot better with a chrome center
I like where your mind is at.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

What is yours sitting in?

Looks like a bunker or some kind of drain guard for a garden.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What is yours sitting in?

Looks like a bunker or some kind of drain guard for a garden.
Offroad 1:1 tire display my dad no longer needed at the shop, lol.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Cool I like it. I've been watching your build quite a bit. You have given me a few ideas on where to get some parts. Being out of the hobby for a few years there are so many other company's out there making great parts then I remember.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Cool I like it. I've been watching your build quite a bit. You have given me a few ideas on where to get some parts. Being out of the hobby for a few years there are so many other company's out there making great parts then I remember.
Oh yeah, this hobby has exploded over the past few years, it's amazing what you can find out there nowadays, especially with 3D printing coming into its golden era.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

A few boxes showed up the last few days.

Yes another team Rafferty hard body.��. They are really well made and fit together great. Better yet the stock axial bumpers match up to the body perfectly.

Also picked up a brand new set of gear head headlocks with gmade 1901 tires. $69 on eBay. With the wheels offset and some thin drive hex's I should be ç1 legal with out any flairs. Real close right now. Mounting wasnt to bad. Stock mount in the rear with clips. Since a roof rack will hide them. Front ended up being stock mounts along with the smaller 2 acrylic parts they send. The stock mounts are permanently mounted to the body side. To remove the body I remove the screws holding the mounts to the shock tower. Not the easiest but give a clean look without drilling more holes.

I dropped $40 on paint for the body. Duplicolor sonic blue pearl and clear. Then the adhesion promoter was the big part of that 40.

Going to try and get the body filled and painted this weekend. Hopefully.

I started to build a roof rack out of 1/8 solid rod. Was looking good until I ran out of gas for the map torch. Going to start over with a different design. Then decide which one looks better.

Last edited by toka100; 03-10-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Paint done. The axial body is pretty scale but a hardbody just looks alot more realistic.

Still have some decent flex with the uncut hard body

Still need to mount the light bar and wire it up. Ordered some more stryne to build the front wheel wells. I'm thinking about getting rid of the rear well. With the smaller tires I don't need the big huge drag car tubs I built for the stock tires.

Last edited by toka100; 03-12-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Wink Re: Toka's crazy plum build

Finished the roof rack last night. Still have a few joints to clean up and find some mesh to lay down. I'm happy with how it turned out. With all the small parts this was harder the building a full cage. I am heading to my shop later today to powdercoat it. Thinking black but a matte silver has been on my mind lately.

Side note. I had a small mishap with my dremel tool yesterday also. The shank for the cutoff wheel snapped on half. Not the disk the shank.

I just bought this set up about 2 hours before hand so I was a little upset. With Blood streaming down my face I called the company to complain. They are sending me a few new shanks and wheels. Live and learn I guess it could have been a lot worse.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Body and rack look great, glad you kept both eyes as well!

Old 03-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Toka, thats some real nice fab. work on your roof rack sir.
And a +1 on the matte silver.

~D
Say what? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say what? View Post
Toka, thats some real nice fab. work on your roof rack sir.
And a +1 on the matte silver.

~D

Thank you. I ended up going with the black. Kinda glad I did. After the first coat some of the solder joints weakened. After a bit of heat I was able to fix them. With the black I could turn down the temperature of the bake process. The silver I can't with out it really effecting the finish. Different types of powders. Even the black at the lower temp went from a matte black to a gloss black. Which was a bit weird. I guessing it didn't fully cure. Even running a heat gun over it didn't give a matte finish. So I might just add a coat of matte black paint over the powder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy84 View Post
Body and rack look great, glad you kept both eyes as well!

Thank you very much. Yah another inch higher and I couldn't watch 3d movies anymore.

A quick build while I was waiting for the powder coating to bake.

I want to build a mount for a Jerry can. The one I have a is a 10th scale one. Just like another build I read through it just looks a bit small. So I need to find a 1:8.24 scale can. Which I'm sure there might be a few popping up on shape way. Started looking into 3d printer the last few days. I can order one through my job for a extra charge. Problem is I would also need to buy a newer laptop. so maybe. Just haven't really decided if the cost would be worth it yet.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I want to build a mount for a Jerry can. The one I have a is a 10th scale one. Just like another build I read through it just looks a bit small. So I need to find a 1:8.24 scale can. Which I'm sure there might be a few popping up on shape way. Started looking into 3d printer the last few days. I can order one through my job for a extra charge. Problem is I would also need to buy a newer laptop. so maybe. Just haven't really decided if the cost would be worth it yet.
I know a guy with a printer, but like you, my old laptop can't handle the newer 3d editing programs.

Last edited by Jeepy84; 03-18-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Toka's crazy plum build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pajero Build aka - The Crazy Hampster TwistedXT 1.9 Scale Rigs 22 03-01-2014 11:15 PM
Lazy & Crazy Build: Learning as "we" go. Frankenwheely Axial AX-10 Scorpion 55 10-01-2013 07:43 PM
Am I crazy for not wanting to build a Jeep camobob Chit Chat 33 02-11-2011 05:14 PM
crazy video and pictures of a slash vs airbag crazy josh hayes Non Crawler RC's 8 07-01-2009 02:56 PM