Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Show us your inner fenders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #1

Default Show us your inner fenders

I'd show you mine but I'm goin' commando so far.

For the OEM lexan Axial SCX 10 II - has anyone made their own inner fenders?
I've seen a few other rigs with cleverly repurposed plastic to hide the wheel well gaps and give a more scale look.

Looking for ideas so I can make my own.
Rock Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Show us your inner fenders

3d print

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Pretty sure I've seen someone use the inner fenders from a trx4 in a scx102 body. But they put it on the Trx4 after. So I'm not sure but with some trimming you may be able to make them fit. I used some for a custom trx4 and scx10 build. And they're cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Evo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've actually been looking for ideas as well. The easiest one I've found so far at least easiest looking to me is food containers. I'm actually heading to the grocery store later tonight to get a few sour cream type containers and see what I can make happen. I'll put up some pics if I have any success with it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
TIREBUSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:08 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I don't remember where I saw it, but someone was making inner fenders out of Gorilla Tape. That said, I used TRX4 inner fenders $12 off ebay and then made crush panels out of Gorilla Tape. This is a TRX4 chassis but here is a pic of my inner fenders with the Gorilla tape crushpanels attached.

This pic shows how I attached them with small zip ties around the frame rail.

Last edited by Inspector86; 02-12-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I used the $12 TRX inner fenders for my 10ii, I wasn’t about to pay $60 for a full set.. very minor modification was necessary and used screws, they also come with cool cut-outs that fit Traxxas rock light kit. Haven’t put the rock lights in the fenders yet, but will get around to it at some point.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:06 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Of eBay , perfect fit

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

So here's a couple I just made so far. I don't know how perfectly of a "scale" look it is but my main purpose is keeping mud and debris out.
I need to go in and redo the curved piece and make it a touch longer and wider in a couple places to fit just a little better. But so far I'm happy with how it turned out. About $6 dollars in supplies. I used 1 sheet of the thin metal private property signs and some jb quik set to stick the 2 pieces together.
It may not be as pretty or good as most other people's out there, but this is the first thing I've ever made myself for any of my rc trucks and I feel it turned out pretty decent and should definitely keep debris out! And don't mind the crappy cut passenger front fender haha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
TIREBUSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:26 PM   #9

Excellent feedback! Looks like the TRX fenders are too easy not to do. I'll save my feeble fabrication frustration for something I can't just buy and mod.

I love to see how people do these things, so keep 'em comin'.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2018, 05:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Made from 1 gallon milk jug...

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Made from 1 gallon milk jug...

I definitely think the milk jug/tupperware/ oil jug approach is also a killer way to keep things cheap as dirt and I've seen it done very nicely. And if you use black oil containers they don't even have to be painted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Evo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkill View Post
3d print

Just bought a printer, where did you get the files to make yours?
skyjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:01 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjockey View Post
Just bought a printer, where did you get the files to make yours?
https://pinshape.com/items/26440-3d-...-10-ii-fenders
Old 01-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I purchased the same files Jimkill linked above ^^^ and had someone local print them for me. Very pleased with the end result and the cost.

[IMG]XJ wheel well[/IMG]

I would like to know specifically what people are doing for inner fenders for the Pro-Line Hilux SR5 truck body. The fenders I had printed are great for the XJ; but, they are too long in the front to work with the SR5. Has anyone printed or used something else for the SR5?
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
I used the $12 TRX inner fenders for my 10ii, I wasn’t about to pay $60 for a full set.. very minor modification was necessary and used screws, they also come with cool cut-outs that fit Traxxas rock light kit. Haven’t put the rock lights in the fenders yet, but will get around to it at some point.
Just FYI, I ran across these rock light mounts on Shapeways which install on the TRX4 inner fenders and allow you to use standard LEDs in place of the Traxxas rock lights.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/HM...li=marketplace

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-24-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #16
tdc
Rock Stacker

thanks for the heads up on the $12 trx fender wells, i have a set on the way that should be here friday. i'll try and get some pictures of installing them
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post
I purchased the same files Jimkill linked above ^^^ and had someone local print them for me. Very pleased with the end result and the cost.

[IMG]XJ wheel well[/IMG]

I would like to know specifically what people are doing for inner fenders for the Pro-Line Hilux SR5 truck body. The fenders I had printed are great for the XJ; but, they are too long in the front to work with the SR5. Has anyone printed or used something else for the SR5?

I printed them for you! Haha.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #18

I hope it's okay to post a link to a video that's not mine. It's part of a build series of an Axial Honcho, which I think uses an SR5 body that powder4breakfast was asking about.

This video has a segment on making your own flares from a plastic container. I'm still partial to the TRX flares but lovin' the DIY approach.

Link to a Harley Designs video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abyyHWdYV_o
Old 01-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkill View Post
I printed them for you! Haha.

LOL...

I meant to say "I would like to thank Jimkill who printed the files for me. He did a great job."

I totally forgot who it was that printed them and how we connected. Glad you're not an idiot like me. How hard would it be to modify the front fender file and shorten them up to fit a proline Hilux body? I have no idea how 3D printing and the associated files work.
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #20

I picked up a set of the TRX fenders, worth a try at $12. They are not the shortcut I was hoping for.

You can't mount them directly. After all, they're not designed for the Axial SCX 10.2, so none of the fender mounting holes have anything to do with any potential mounting points on the Cherokee body or Axial frame.

The wheel well diameter is relatively OK but the fender lip to body gap is about a half-inch. I've seen some fillers made with duct tape that look easy enough to make and are light weight.

Just to mock up the fitment, I used 2-sided molding tape and wire to get an idea about placement and tire clearance. I'm trying a set of 1.9 Super Swamper TSL SX that are a little bigger than the OEM tires. The fender height is a little shallow with these tires at full compression.

big tires, compressed suspension

gonna need some fender flare trimming either way

Raising the fender would incur a fender to frame gap, hence running counter to the idea of inner fenders to eliminate that gap.

fender to body gap

mock-up mounting of rears

The rears were semi-okay, fender to body gap notwithstanding, but the front are way off.

Given the amount of effort to fasten these and cover the body gap, I'm inclined to start cutting up plastic containers.

Another thing about the Traxxas inner fenders - they're heavy-duty. Kudos that they're probably darn near unbreakable, but they weigh a bit much given the sketchy mounting options on the SCX. I'm all for weight down near the axles, but want to minimize the load the higher I go. - CoG and all that.

Maybe I can edit this post with some pictures. Looks like my inner fender quest continues.

Last edited by Rock Dodger; 02-06-2018 at 08:43 PM.

Show us your inner fenders - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fenders, what do you use? Shadow Fox General Scale Talk 9 07-26-2012 03:06 PM
CAR SHOW/ HOT ROD SHOW this SUN 19th at FINISHLINE R/C FinishLineRC Colorado 2 09-15-2010 03:37 PM
Show me yours and ill show you mine Crawln1221 General Crawlers 1 08-04-2009 07:14 PM
Show them to me noobs, show me the Emaxxs stock, well close Jeepernick Newbie General 15 01-11-2006 07:52 PM