Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Best shocks? What to choose

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Best shocks? What to choose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
I promise if you do you will be pleased.... Don't overfill, and enjoy some extremely well mannered shocks. I wanted to note that I am also a bigbore kinda guy. I love how my rigs sit static at mid shock stroke allowing plenty of up and down travel. I have tried proline shocks a few different times over the years. Honestly I was not impressed. They leak and don't allow mid travel stroke. If the new prolines are the same internally I wouldn't pay for them. Looks wise all options fall short.....
Here's a "duh"...Dlux has the Dravtechs listed for $37, but it doesn't state if that's each, a pair or four...what should they cost?
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Here's a "duh"...Dlux has the Dravtechs listed for $37, but it doesn't state if that's each, a pair or four...what should they cost?
that's for 2. Just to make things clear. I am not paid/sponsored in any way shape or form by dravtech. I just like sharing advise on killer rc parts.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #23

Quote:
$74 for four (4) shocks. Definitely not bargain shocks, but also not the most expensive. Traxxas big bores, which they're based off of, TRX-4 shocks, and other can be had for less.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
that's for 2. Just to make things clear. I am not paid/sponsored in any way shape or form by dravtech. I just like sharing advise on killer rc parts.
Nice disclaimer lol. They look somewhat interesting, and at least the lengths are advertised up front. I like the mid-travel stance too and is what I'm looking for on my current build. Thanks for the confirmation on package quantity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
$74 for four (4) shocks. Definitely not bargain shocks, but also not the most expensive. Traxxas big bores, which they're based off of, TRX-4 shocks, and other can be had for less.
Yeah, that's a little steep after looking at the Traxxas GTS's and big bores. My only hesitation with them is it seems a bit mysterious as to what their actual assembled/working lengths are. I'm going for 90mmish so the GTS's are probably right in the ball park, and they're $40 for four with springs...
Old 05-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #25

I take a look at the dravstech...they look a bit weird but...if performance is there...and I found this post...
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...0&share_type=t
So...i don't make my choice ...hesitate with pro line pro scale vs. Trx4 shock...

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 XL en utilisant Tapatalk
NoRCoRyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

After a few tries and fixes with Axial RTR and kit shocks, I ended up with Pro-Line Scalers on one of my 10 II's and TRX-4 GTS on my other.

I chose Scalers on my first rig because I LOOOOOOOOVE the Pro-Line Pro-Specs on my Bomber. My Pro-Specs truly have been leak proof and buttery smooth. I have to say that my experience with the Pro-Line scalers has not been as yummy. They are definitely better than the stock Icons while not as consistent and problem free as my Pro-Specs. I was then thinking of going Big Bores on my second 10 II when I started hearing talk of the TRX-4 shocks so I jumped on those instead. I am only comparing one scaler experience to one TRX-4 experience; However, I prefer my TRX-4 shocks over my Scalers for sure.

I am at a temporary standstill on my current build which is my third SCX10 II based rig. If I hear good things about the Incision, I may give them a look. Otherwise I will absolutely be picking up the TRX-4 GTS shocks again.
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post

I chose Scalers on my first rig because I LOOOOOOOOVE the Pro-Line Pro-Specs on my Bomber. My Pro-Specs truly have been leak proof and buttery smooth. I have to say that my experience with the Pro-Line scalers has not been as yummy. They are definitely better than the stock Icons while not as consistent and problem free as my Pro-Specs. I was then thinking of going Big Bores on my second 10 II when I started hearing talk of the TRX-4 shocks so I jumped on those instead. I am only comparing one scaler experience to one TRX-4 experience; However, I prefer my TRX-4 shocks over my Scalers for sure.
I'm having a similar experience. I love the Proline PowerStroke shocks on my monster truck. They are smooth as silk, take a beating, and are leak free. The Scaler shocks have finish issues, are smooth, but nothing to write home about, and I just don't think they are made well nor are they tuned properly. The springs seem too damn stiff.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Few pics of the above mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:45 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

TRX shocks suck,BIG TIME.Undersized for the car
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:15 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traulus View Post
TRX shocks suck,BIG TIME.Undersized for the car
No.

I'm pretty sure you're alone in that thinking.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:23 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traulus View Post
TRX shocks suck, BIG TIME. Undersized for the car.
Odd, I don't find either of those statements true.

I built my TRX-4 from a kit. The shocks assembled without any issues, as much as I like building shocks anyway. The component quality I found as good as any and better than most - what crawler shocks includes dual x-rings as standard? I've only seen x-rings on my race kits. After a good long time and use, no leaking to speak of from any of my shocks. Very smooth, good spring balance, proper ride height with sensible pre-load on the collars, nearly perfect actually.

Undersized in what regard? Travel? Damping volume? Scale appearance?

The only minor issue that I've had, is that the spring perch can be easily dislodged, causing that shock to collapse. So, I just picked up a set of four Samix brass shock spring cups that I can drop on from the top and re-assemble - that issue is then mechanically eliminated. Certainly, Traxxas could address this with minimal effort.

Don't like the color? Spring rate? Traxxas provides options as well...

"TRX shocks suck, BIG TIME"

Not getting that...

Last edited by celt; 05-10-2018 at 06:30 AM.
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

I am realizing that shocks are my least favorite part of this hobby. I have bought 2 full sets of RC4WD Kings and on 2 different rigs I have had a single shock just fall apart while driving. Luckily both times I have been able to find all of the parts and rebuild them.

I would like to find a good shock with the least amount of maintenance. I really don't like working on tiny oily parts. It seems that the shocks are the most complicated and troublesome part of these things.
Tralfaz Blecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:39 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz Blecht View Post
I am realizing that shocks are my least favorite part of this hobby. I have bought 2 full sets of RC3WD Kings and on 2 different rigs I have had a single shock just fall apart while driving. Luckily both times I have been able to find all of the parts and rebuild them.

I would like to find a good shock with the least amount of maintenance. I really don't like working on tiny oily parts. It seems that the shocks are the most complicated and troublesome part of these things.

There's your problem... Buy actual shocks, not shelf pieces.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:30 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
I am realizing that shocks are my least favorite part of this hobby. I have bought 2 full sets of RC4WD Kings and on 2 different rigs I have had a single shock just fall apart while driving. Luckily both times I have been able to find all of the parts and rebuild them.

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm diverging more and more to internally sprung shocks for my mostly trail/minor crawl MO. Oil per se is basically optional and the versatility of spring kits seems much more user friendly to me to set up a suspension.

Just put my second set of Desert Lizards on my current build because the included 18pc spring kit was easy to set just the ride height I wanted.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:58 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
There's your problem... Buy actual shocks, not shelf pieces.
I don't mean to sound snarky but this is the scale rig section, right..? So yeah, I want them to look good. I want them to work without making my rig look like a Happy Meal prize. I'm still new at all of this so I'm trying to find that balance. I read tons of reviews and the RC4WD Kings seemed to fare abut as good as any others. That does worry me.

I also realize that I am part of the problem. I just hate working on them. I can deal with tiny parts all day long. When other parts break I don't care because I like wrenching on my rigs. Drown the tiny parts in oil and all of the fun slips away. That's just me.

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree. I'm diverging more and more to internally sprung shocks for my mostly trail/minor crawl MO. Oil per se is basically optional and the versatility of spring kits seems much more user friendly to me to set up a suspension.

Just put my second set of Desert Lizards on my current build because the included 18pc spring kit was easy to set just the ride height I wanted.
I'll check those out. I had not even heard of those yet.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:02 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:

I'll check those out. I had not even heard of those yet.
They have three different lengths of springs so you can tune your extension, rebound and droop about a bazillion ways.

LMAO at the Happy Meal prize
Old 05-11-2018, 09:33 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

I have tried a bunch of different shocks here lately. I prefer the TRX4 shocks out of them all. Just just work and they look pretty good as well.
Traxxas should offer them as a package deal. They would sell like crazy.
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:10 AM   #38
RCC Addict

I hate dealing with leaky shocks. Axial and RC4WD have the worst shocks. Don't waste your money "upgrading" to their shocks. They just suck.

My experience with the Proline Scaler shocks is that they leak. I had a couple that would actually hold oil, but the other 6 I had wouldn't. Pretty much everyone that I have spoken with said the same thing. I want to try the new ones though. They are using X-Rings now and the blue color scheme kinda looks line King shocks. I'll most likely buy a set to try.

Dravtechs are the nicest shocks that I have used so far. They're not the most scale looking, but in black, silver, or gunmetal they don't look too out of place on a scaler. They are very smooth and if you build them right (get the circlip fully seated) they will not leak. They are 92.5mm eye to eye fully extended.

I don't have any experience with the Incisions so I can't comment on them. The Traxxas TRX-4 shocks are also pretty good.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I hate dealing with leaky shocks. Axial and RC4WD have the worst shocks. Don't waste your money "upgrading" to their shocks. They just suck.

My experience with the Proline Scaler shocks is that they leak. I had a couple that would actually hold oil, but the other 6 I had wouldn't. Pretty much everyone that I have spoken with said the same thing. I want to try the new ones though. They are using X-Rings now and the blue color scheme kinda looks line King shocks. I'll most likely buy a set to try.

Dravtechs are the nicest shocks that I have used so far. They're not the most scale looking, but in black, silver, or gunmetal they don't look too out of place on a scaler. They are very smooth and if you build them right (get the circlip fully seated) they will not leak. They are 92.5mm eye to eye fully extended.

I don't have any experience with the Incisions so I can't comment on them. The Traxxas TRX-4 shocks are also pretty good.
I still have another set of RC4WD 90mm that I will try and setup and seal. I also didn't know these were not really ready to run parts. I've just been bolting them on out of the box. I just assumed all of the filling with oil was after they leaked and it was part of rebuilding them.

I did order a set of the Desert Lizards for my next build so I'll see what all I can learn about those before I run them.

Last edited by Tralfaz Blecht; 05-13-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #40

Heh. I'm not an expert on the Dravtech shocks, but it looks like China is copying them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Allo...ceBeautifyAB=0

Best shocks? What to choose - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me choose a set of shocks Bucktallica Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 03-17-2010 12:30 AM