Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Thloftus’ SCX10 II father’s day build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #121
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Thloftus’ SCX10 II father’s day build

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
On the old locker, u may try a smaller drill bit than the screw to run them back out. Drill from the end of the screw, not the broke end, n the bit may get a bite n back the screws out. Just be careful not to get inot the threads

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Nice, thank you! I held on to the old locker, so no problem there. Might be a good excuse to get a drill press stand for my rotary tool - probably stable enough with sufficient patience and care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #122
Rock Crawler

We took it out for a spin and just a few short and glorious moments later, Blamo! More carnage! This time the driver’s side front C-hub exploded and took out the universal.

One of the pins in the universal sheared off, I guess from the stress when the C-hub failed

Here’s another view of the C-hub. The plastics for this truck are apparently not as durable as those on the v1. Expected the opposite when we built the kit, but they’re definitely not holding up. It was warm outside, so can’t blame the temperature.

So time for more goodies! SSD Pro 44 axle case; SSD aluminum C-hubs; Incision universals; and SSD scale hex bolts for the diff cover. The Axial case survived, but given the rear one broke already, I decided to replace it anyway.

Always fun to see a stack of new parts!

Part numbers for reference

New case in the front and old in the back

I only got as far as installing the gears. Impressed with the fit and finish for the SSD case, as usual. The gears turn smooth as butter and the axles lined up nicely in a test fit

To be continued ...

Old 06-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #123
Rock Crawler

Wow, I didn’t realize six weeks had gone by. I finished the repair, but apparently never posted, Lol! It’s been a busy time lately with work and the family.

Here’s the C-hubs and axles un-bagged. Both are nicely made. I’m looking forward to seeing how the Incision universals hold up. I’ve only used their wheels previously + had poor luck with universals in the past - aside from the Axial kit axles that came with my Bomber, which have held up with no problems so far.

I discovered an exploded bearing when I disassembled the broken C-hub. I should have checked the bearings when I first took the axle apart, but hey, another trip to the hobby store! It’s the 10 x 15 x 4 mm bearing that exploded.

I went with Traxxas replacements. I’ve always had good luck with their bearings. I’d like to try Fast Eddy’s at some point.

Here’s the axle with the C-hubs installed.

And with the knuckles and drag link installed

I went to install the shocks and found a conflict with the fastener and the C-hubs; resolved this by swapping in skinnier hollow balls from a bag of Revo rod ends. Stock is on the left (bottom end of shock). Skinnier is on the right.

And also screwing the shocks onto the mount first and then installing the mount onto the axle.

Here’s everything installed, along with the diff covers and LockedUp scale hex bolts

And installed on the truck. Should be good for now - we’ll see what breaks next!

Thloftus’ SCX10 II father’s day build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 ii build for young kid and father Awallspdx Newbie General 28 01-22-2019 09:05 AM
Thloftus’ TF2 build Thloftus RC4WD Trail Finder 2 62 12-06-2018 10:41 PM
Father and Sons Crawler Build rockseeker Axial XR10 29 11-16-2014 11:35 AM
Another Father Son Crawler build phritchey General Crawlers 0 06-06-2012 02:08 AM
Father Son Crawler Build phritchey General Crawlers 25 06-06-2012 02:02 AM