Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SDD are you holding out on us?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2018, 06:09 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: SDD are you holding out on us?

I like them. A good looking portal box add on that isn't bigger than it needs to be. Thank you SSD
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Ditchrat have you even TRIED green eggs and ham?!?

yes the nylon is lighter than metal. there are ways to get weight down low to make up the difference.
i have their yeti axle and i swear its BOMB PROOF.
i mean... a YETI. if its lasted on that over a year, i think it will be fine on a crawler.

i stand by SSD their products are amazing.
and im not a portal guy but i certainly wouldn't come in here to knock them.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
As we all know the tiny AR44 C hub splines are not reliable. So for now I would not use these on a plastic Ar44 axle that has removabl C hubs as they will probably spin. If you have beef tubes fitted and metal C hubs then they should be fine (or any other metal axle setup).

I'm not recommending using these on the SSD axles at the moment. As the Pro44/Diamond have cast metal tubes and the threads may get damaged. We have solution for this coming soon. New nylon tubes and new C hubs coming out for SSD axles.

We are moving away from the tiny AR44 C hub splines and have a new reliable fitting method on the new parts.

So we released these first as more of a RTR upgrade or metal axle upgrade.
SSD front portal axle will be released soon...
How prevalent is the issue of the c hubs slipping on the splines? Just curious as I just received a new Cherokee kit and this is the first I've heard about the splines. I haven't really been able to find any issues while searching through the threads either.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
How prevalent is the issue of the c hubs slipping on the splines? Just curious as I just received a new Cherokee kit and this is the first I've heard about the splines. I haven't really been able to find any issues while searching through the threads either.
It's happened before but I don't know how common it is. With Portals attached though they'd have way more leverage on the splines and I think it there would be a much higher chance of it occurring.

Not my pic but example:

Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
It's happened before but I don't know how common it is. With Portals attached though they'd have way more leverage on the splines and I think it there would be a much higher chance of it occurring.
I can definitely see it being as issue with the added leverage of portals.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:40 PM   #26
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
I can definitely see it being as issue with the added leverage of portals.
Yes it's the portal leverage.
We have to cover ourselves so have to point out potential issues.

Nothing stopping anybody from trying them on any SCX10 II axle.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:48 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yes it's the portal leverage.
We have to cover ourselves so have to point out potential issues.

Nothing stopping anybody from trying them on any SCX10 II axle.
Definitely!

When do you anticipate releasing compatible front housings that will work with the portal knuckles? Also, will you be offering different levels of completion for them (axle housing w/ knuckles and add your own gears, axle shafts and bearings, fully complete slap-it-on-and-go, etc)?

I'm very interested in these as I was going to upgrade my kit to the Pro44 housings anyways, might as well go all in with portals!
Old 12-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

I wish the portal housings was made in steel ( not brass ) maybe stainless.

I would have to completely ditch my old Axles as if i used them i will get weight up high ( er ) so what i have added to my current axles i cant really use.
Then again i wouldn't mind all that much aside for the money aspect which i have to look at hard as a retired guy on a meager pension.
we will see i am stuffing my piggy bank as hard as i can as i have to upgrade the GFX card in my computer next year, maybe i can save enough to get a set of new sweet SSD portal axles.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:04 AM   #29
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Definitely!

When do you anticipate releasing compatible front housings that will work with the portal knuckles? Also, will you be offering different levels of completion for them (axle housing w/ knuckles and add your own gears, axle shafts and bearings, fully complete slap-it-on-and-go, etc)?

I'm very interested in these as I was going to upgrade my kit to the Pro44 housings anyways, might as well go all in with portals!
Hopefully before Christmas.
The packing will be the same as the portal rear axle so you need your own gears, locker and bearings. The rest is included as the shafts are portal specific.

So to be clear, new nylon tubes (without tiny splines) and new aluminum C hubs to match the new style of fitting.

We will go forward with this new reliable fitting with new products next year also.

Last edited by SSD; 12-05-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:07 AM   #30
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
I wish the portal housings was made in steel ( not brass ) maybe stainless.
The portal knuckles are CNC machined aluminum.

Machined steel is not viable, it would cost too much.
So Brass weights (that are in progress now) is the easiest and most cost effective way to add the weight.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:29 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Very nice portals.
What about retro fitting rear portals to a pro44? Any chance or do I have to buy the complete rear portal axle?
GrimmTheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:56 AM   #32
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmTheTourist View Post
Very nice portals.
What about retro fitting rear portals to a pro44? Any chance or do I have to buy the complete rear portal axle?

The only difference between the rear portal axle and a retro fit kit would be removing the Pro44 center section from the packing. So it is something we will do in a few months. It wont reduce the cost by much it would just be a few plastic parts and less screws. So it's not worth waiting for really.

Last edited by SSD; 12-05-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Yeah.
I don't think i need all as much weight as i have now with brass parts front and rear, i am mostly worried that i cant get the rear axle heavy enough ( have your ALU transmission that shift some weight forward )
I feel my car perform really well now in regard to F/R weight balance, but i am sure i could loose some weight in both ends and still have the same performance.
maybe front and rear faux brake disks in brass will be enough, after all the portals do add a little weight too with the hardware inside them.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:33 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The portal knuckles are CNC machined aluminum.

Machined steel is not viable, it would cost too much.
So Brass weights (that are in progress now) is the easiest and most cost effective way to add the weight.
Be aware that this solution renders the axles ineligible for sorrca competition, as I feel sure some of your customers partake in, myself included. Samix and STRC have brass TRX4 portal parts on the market, which since they are not an added weight but are integrated axle parts, meet specifications. You may want to consider doing the same with these.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy84 View Post
Be aware that this solution renders the axles ineligible for sorrca competition, as I feel sure some of your customers partake in, myself included. Samix and STRC have brass TRX4 portal parts on the market, which since they are not an added weight but are integrated axle parts, meet specifications. You may want to consider doing the same with these.

Right because sorcca loves their idiotic, non sensical rules everyone making parts should follow suit?

Their are plenty of rule sets out there that allow adding weight if desired so I'm saddened that anyone still follows their bs.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

Sad or not, national meets use their rule set.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #37
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy84 View Post

FYI I made TRX4 brass portal covers before both of those other brands and mine look better.

I'm making weights for these first as they are much cheaper for the user. The majority don't compete or follow rules.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

I have the round rear portal box covers on my FC Jeep TRX. Offset the excessive front weight bias nicely.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

I just opened my portal axles, my wife gave them to me for Christmas. They look great. Going to be using beef tubes front axle. SORRCA has some crazy thinking to not allow these for comps.
luckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckster View Post
I just opened my portal axles, my wife gave them to me for Christmas. They look great. Going to be using beef tubes front axle. SORRCA has some crazy thinking to not allow these for comps.
Are portals not legal in sorrca?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
revin9k is offline   Reply With Quote

SDD are you holding out on us? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Link length for SDD diamond axle for 12,3" wheelbase le varan Axial SCX-10 2 02-18-2018 11:06 AM
How are these holding up? jsu101 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 11 04-26-2012 07:15 PM
how is your wk holding up? flip3d HPI Wheely King 14 06-11-2007 05:31 PM