Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: TRX4 portal axles to UMG10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2019, 05:59 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default TRX4 portal axles to UMG10

Has anyone tried this? Is it worth swapping the axles?
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2019, 07:14 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TRX4 portal axles to UMG10

Josh just did a video showing those on the new VP frame, shorter links and your done

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:33 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have seen that, don't know if the VP chassis is the same with the axial chassis
Old 06-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Default TRX4 portal axles to UMG10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traulus View Post
I have seen that, don't know if the VP chassis is the same with the axial chassis

Yes.......but the VP rails are different.
Link mounts are quite close

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Well, those are good news. My UMG10 will be getting some trx4 portal axles with OD and UD gears
Old 06-11-2019, 12:21 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Gonna rig up some servo mounts for the remote-lockable diffs? If you're not going to use the remote-lockable diffs that the TRX-4 comes with, then the portal axles for the MST CFX-W would be a less expensive option.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:16 AM   #7

It looks like the off set front diff is on the driver side is that going to be an issue with the stock trans? Just saw a set on ebay that are permanently locked.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
GnarKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:06 PM   #8
RCC Addict

No reason why the offset front diff would be a problem as long as the center driveshaft is long enough to reach it. If the driveshaft has to cross the centerline of the truck to reach across to the other side, that's...sub-optimal...but it would still work.

Maybe you need to buy two sets of TRX-4 axles, keep both rears, move the steering components from one of the fronts onto one of the rears, and re-sell the extra parts. That way you could have two symmetrical axles for your build.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
No reason why the offset front diff would be a problem as long as the center driveshaft is long enough to reach it. If the driveshaft has to cross the centerline of the truck to reach across to the other side, that's...sub-optimal...but it would still work.

Maybe you need to buy two sets of TRX-4 axles, keep both rears, move the steering components from one of the fronts onto one of the rears, and re-sell the extra parts. That way you could have two symmetrical axles for your build.
Since the stock cvds are different lengths which ones would you use to build the rear housing into a front axle? Since they have to be portal cvds.

GnarKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:34 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarKill View Post
It looks like the off set front diff is on the driver side is that going to be an issue with the stock trans? Just saw a set on ebay that are permanently locked.

flip the trans so your outputs are on the other side reverse the motor leads
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Kit trans outputs are centered. No problem with the front offset differential.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:46 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Gonna rig up some servo mounts for the remote-lockable diffs? If you're not going to use the remote-lockable diffs that the TRX-4 comes with, then the portal axles for the MST CFX-W would be a less expensive option.
The CFX-W axles are garbage. My unimig build on a CFX chassis came to an abrupt stop when it blew axles on each shakedown run. The portal gears are too small. I actually bought some 3D printed parts to center a steering servo on redcat portals.

I used deadlock portal extensions and boom racing metal axle housings to get portals on my UMG10. Works perfectly.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:48 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

My rig with boom and deadlock portals:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #14

Have any of you UMG10 guys had to trim the front bumper yet?

With a lot of steering input and full suspension compression, my tires are biting into the bumper pretty bad. With the higher COG on this rig, I don't want to put more stiffness into the front shocks.

It's such a new rig to me that the idea of hacking the bumper up makes me a little sad, but it's gotta do all the things first and foremost.
eucasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:17 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucasafari View Post
Have any of you UMG10 guys had to trim the front bumper yet?

With a lot of steering input and full suspension compression, my tires are biting into the bumper pretty bad. With the higher COG on this rig, I don't want to put more stiffness into the front shocks.

It's such a new rig to me that the idea of hacking the bumper up makes me a little sad, but it's gotta do all the things first and foremost.
I have the stock wheels, tires, and bumper on mine. I haven't trimmed the bumper at all, even with it mounted in the closest in mounting holes.
It works fine under normal articulation, and I have the steering end points adjusted to turn the wheels as far as they will mechanically go.

When you say "full suspension compression" do you mean pressing the vehicle down by hand? If so that amount of compression won't really ever occur during normal crawling.

I'd say run it, and if you find that you have issues out on the rocks or trail, adjust or modify it after that time.
dmcchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcchaser View Post
I have the stock wheels, tires, and bumper on mine. I haven't trimmed the bumper at all, even with it mounted in the closest in mounting holes.
It works fine under normal articulation, and I have the steering end points adjusted to turn the wheels as far as they will mechanically go.

When you say "full suspension compression" do you mean pressing the vehicle down by hand? If so that amount of compression won't really ever occur during normal crawling.

I'd say run it, and if you find that you have issues out on the rocks or trail, adjust or modify it after that time.

When I am crawling a difficult rock transition and one of the front tires is compressed up close to the body - if I am also near full lock turning the tires bite into the bumper. This is *not* with the stock tires, nor with the stock shocks.

90mm SSD piggyback shocks and 120mm Hyrax tires. The stock 1.9 MT45 tires are 117mm, so these aren't much taller.

Just as I type this though, I am thinking it may be due to the wide hubs on these Methods. The wider hub keeps it from tucking more into the body, where it might otherwise dip under the far edge of the bumper.

doh
eucasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:59 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I did it, took a little effort to get the steering correct, no big deal
Attached Images

doubledub is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 portal axles to UMG10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ssd portal weights for trx4 sport????? garage-boo Newbie General 9 03-20-2019 06:24 PM
Video - Inspecting TRX4 Portal axles BadBeard General Crawlers 2 01-22-2019 04:27 PM
Traxxas TRX4 Defender & Vaterra Ascender K10 Portal Axles! Volgan Scale Videos! 1 04-07-2018 06:38 PM