Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: New SSD Overdrive Gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #41

Default Re: New SSD Overdrive Gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Especially the Capra housings, as people seem to be wanting to possibly replace the stock gears work the SSD 6-bolt OD gears. Some have already tried, and run into the same problem. I'm interested...but holding off until I know for certain.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
It's extremely unfair to expect SSD gears for an older axle to work in a brand new axle housing.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
It's extremely unfair to expect SSD gears for an older axle to work in a brand new axle housing.
I wouldn't call it "unfair"...and, I don't believe I ever said anything about "expecting" it to fit the Capra. All I said was that some have tried them in their Capra, discovered there was a "problem", and that they reported the problem in the Capra threads.

I read what they described, and compared it to what was described by those who installed the gears in the very vehicles the gears were designed for (as those people described almost identical "problems"), and realized that both groups were, essentially, describing the same problem. As such, it didn't appear to be a specific vehicle problem (ie. not specific to the Capra). When SSD mentioned they had only tested the gears in the own housings, and would test then in the vehicle's manufacturer-produced housing, that's when I asked if they could also test in the Capra's housing.

If the gears are designed for the SCX10 II, and if the SCX10 II & Capra use the same diameter gears (as well as the same size bearings)...which, I admit, I don't know if they do...then it would seem the OD gears should possibly be able to be used in both vehicles, right? Likewise, if those interested in their Capra, and those installing in their SCX10 II (with Axial housing) are describing the same problem, then it would seem that the problem the Capra builders are having might not be related to the Capra.

If it turns out that the OD gears can only be used with the SSD housing (which they haven't indicated), then so be it...but, if the gears are supposed to work in the SCX10 II's Axial-made housing, and they aren't, then the problem is, obviously, something else.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #43

Quote:
I wouldn't call it "unfair"...and, I don't believe I ever said anything about "expecting" it to fit the Capra. All I said was that some have tried them in their Capra, discovered there was a "problem", and that they reported the problem in the Capra threads.

I read what they described, and compared it to what was described by those who installed the gears in the very vehicles the gears were designed for (as those people described almost identical "problems"), and realized that both groups were, essentially, describing the same problem. As such, it didn't appear to be a specific vehicle problem (ie. not specific to the Capra). When SSD mentioned they had only tested the gears in the own housings, and would test then in the vehicle's manufacturer-produced housing, that's when I asked if they could also test in the Capra's housing.

If the gears are designed for the SCX10 II, and if the SCX10 II & Capra use the same diameter gears (as well as the same size bearings)...which, I admit, I don't know if they do...then it would seem the OD gears should possibly be able to be used in both vehicles, right? Likewise, if those interested in their Capra, and those installing in their SCX10 II (with Axial housing) are describing the same problem, then it would seem that the problem the Capra builders are having might not be related to the Capra.

If it turns out that the OD gears can only be used with the SSD housing (which they haven't indicated), then so be it...but, if the gears are supposed to work in the SCX10 II's Axial-made housing, and they aren't, then the problem is, obviously, something else.

Lots of ifs in your post. It is unfair to come on SSD's thread and say their gears don't work in the Capra unless SSD states they'll fit. That hasn't happened at this point.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Lots of ifs in your post. It is unfair to come on SSD's thread and say their gears don't work in the Capra unless SSD states they'll fit. That hasn't happened at this point.
Yes, I know SSD hasn't indicated the gears work with the Capra, but the Capra wasn't even out when the gears were realised. Did you read where I mentioned the same problem part...where people with the SCX10 II reported the same problems that those who've tried the gears in their Capra were reporting?

Put another way, what I was doing was bringing the "comparison problem" (that's what I call it, for the purpose of this post) to SSD's attention. If they're going to double-check fitment in the SCX10 II's housing, then they could also take fitment in the Capra's housing. If they discover there actually is a problem, and they correct it (for the SCX10 II's housing), then they could also test in the Capra, and possible indicate the OD gears also work with the Capra.

This is one of the ways products actually get "approved". When Creative Labs released the original Sounds Blaster, they had only tested it on IBM PCs. It's was because of consumers "suggesting" testing on other brand computers that they started doing so. Sometimes it's all done because the manufacturer decides to do it on their own...and, sometimes, it's because of consumer's "suggestions".

Old 10-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I wouldn't call it "unfair"
You said that they should especially test their gears in the Capra housing when they have never once stated that they work in the Capra. Seems a little unfair to me.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
You said that they should especially test their gears in the Capra housing when they have never once stated that they work in the Capra. Seems a little unfair to me.
I've since corrected my wording. I hadn't realized, until I just reread it, the wording I had selected. Thank you for pointing out where my 'mistake' was. Guess I forgot to follow my own rule of always dbl-checking before hitting the "send" button.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:47 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Got a chance to run my 3 year old 10.2 cherokee kit with the new OD gears tonight and aside from being a little noisy the overdrive seems to work very well..Nice little upgrade over stock for sure...
xv-townboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:12 AM   #48
SSD
RCC Addict

Ok so the SSD OD gears have been retested. Here are the results:
1) Work fine in SSD Pro44 and Diamond Pro housings as expected
2) Work fine in Axial one piece AR44 front axle housing as expected
3) Dont work in the new Capra housing. I can only assume Axial changed the pinion position slightly (maybe unintentionally).

An interesting thing I did find was the the SSD OD ring gear seems to mesh well the the stock Axial Capra 8T pinion shaft.
So those of you having issues can try this combination in your Capra front axle.

Last edited by SSD; 10-03-2019 at 10:37 AM.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

I just installed a set in the Trail king (Pro 44 axle) and they fit fine and mesh good. I used 1 shim to pull the pinion gear back (on the outside) and a few shims on the spool to remove the side to side play but even without the shims it worked very smoothly.

EDIT I take that back the gears are smooth in one direction (forward) but when they spin the other direction it is fairly crunchy. I went back a tried every combination of shimming and I still couldn't find a better mesh.

Next thing I'm gonna try is to swap in some hot racing overdrive gears to see how they feel.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 10-06-2019 at 11:16 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:36 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
Ok so the SSD OD gears have been retested. Here are the results:
1) Work fine in SSD Pro44 and Diamond Pro housings as expected
2) Work fine in Axial one piece AR44 front axle housing as expected
3) Dont work in the new Capra housing. I can only assume Axial changed the pinion position slightly (maybe unintentionally).

An interesting thing I did find was the the SSD OD ring gear seems to mesh well the the stock Axial Capra 8T pinion shaft.
So those of you having issues can try this combination in your Capra front axle.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #51

So, I'm not sure what to do here. I have no experience shimming anything. Should i try to shim it some to get it meshing better? Does anyone have any tips, or is there a thread about shimming i can look for?

Or is it my housing being out of whack causing the problem, and I'm just out of luck? I have the single piece AR44 housing from the RTR Cherokee. It had the stock gears in it before and they worked perfectly. I'd like to drive it a few more times before too much more snow falls around here.
Herber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

I edited my post above, found out there was actually some crunchiness when going in reverse. I tore it down and reassembled it over and over trying every combination of shimming and I still couldn't get it to feel any better. This is with the Trail King BTW.

I'm now wondering how my set of Hot Racing overdrive gears fit so I'll probably swap those in to see.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
We had a shipping mix up so Amains delivery is delayed.
Will be at least another week now.
That week is long gone now, no stock on amain :((((
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:06 AM   #54
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I edited my post above, found out there was actually some crunchiness when going in reverse. I tore it down and reassembled it over and over trying every combination of shimming and I still couldn't get it to feel any better. This is with the Trail King BTW.

I'm now wondering how my set of Hot Racing overdrive gears fit so I'll probably swap those in to see.
I found no shimming is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traulus View Post
That week is long gone now, no stock on amain :((((
They have already been in stock then out again at Amain. More are enroute to them.

Last edited by SSD; 10-07-2019 at 11:09 AM.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #55
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herber View Post
So, I'm not sure what to do here. I have no experience shimming anything. Should i try to shim it some to get it meshing better? Does anyone have any tips, or is there a thread about shimming i can look for?

Or is it my housing being out of whack causing the problem, and I'm just out of luck? I have the single piece AR44 housing from the RTR Cherokee. It had the stock gears in it before and they worked perfectly. I'd like to drive it a few more times before too much more snow falls around here.
I am not a master at this by any means. Practice and experience are, in my opinion, how you really get it. Here is good video to get you started

https://eliminator-rc.com/pro-tips/d...ntial-shimming
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Practice and experience are, in my opinion, how you really get it. Here is good video to get you started

https://eliminator-rc.com/pro-tips/d...ntial-shimming
Yep, just take your time, jot down some notes if needed, great video!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

I ended up swapping the Hot racing OD gears from my 10.2 over to the trail king and they (the hot racing gears) seamed smoother though they are broken in a bit. The SSD gears also felt a bit better installed in the 10.2. Now I'd much rather have SSD gears in my SSD rig but for now this will do.

As for not shimming at all, I just cant bring myself to not shim. There's about 1 mm of side to side play at the spool and I feel much better knowing the ring gear is gonna stay where I left it and not wander back and forth.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #58

Has anyone tried running those OD gears in a Vanquish AR44 F9 axle?
I just mounted mine up.
First the 6 holes didn't line up to mount the spur with all 6 screws (not saying who's fault it is, could just be unfortunate combination of tolerances meeting), stuck with 3 screws which was fine until now anyways.
But it also doesn't turn. At all.
Just put everything into that third member with bearings, no shims so far and I am only able to slightly wiggle the pinion and spur back and forth a bit, but that's it.
If I loosen all 4 bearing carrier screws 1 turn I can almost get a full revolution out of the spur before it locks up again.
That axle has been running with a standard Axial ring/pinion for well over a year.

So in case anyone else tried that combination, is it just me having bad luck?
Or is it a combo to avoid?
JoFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFreak View Post
Has anyone tried running those OD gears in a Vanquish AR44 F9 axle?
I just mounted mine up.
First the 6 holes didn't line up to mount the spur with all 6 screws (not saying who's fault it is, could just be unfortunate combination of tolerances meeting), stuck with 3 screws which was fine until now anyways.
But it also doesn't turn. At all.
Just put everything into that third member with bearings, no shims so far and I am only able to slightly wiggle the pinion and spur back and forth a bit, but that's it.
If I loosen all 4 bearing carrier screws 1 turn I can almost get a full revolution out of the spur before it locks up again.
That axle has been running with a standard Axial ring/pinion for well over a year.

So in case anyone else tried that combination, is it just me having bad luck?
Or is it a combo to avoid?
I would say no, I tried to install and they are locked up when just snugging the carrier bolts. Hopefully they are ok in my axial plastic axles.......
kmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:50 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmas View Post
I would say no, I tried to install and they are locked up when just snugging the carrier bolts. Hopefully they are ok in my axial plastic axles.......
I have the same issues in my Axial one pice housing.
I’ve tried to slightly loosen the carrier bolts. It turns now, but it’s still noisy and snags.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote

New SSD Overdrive Gears - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
overdrive gears.? panama Axial Wraith 31 07-01-2020 01:28 AM
Overdrive gears for the 10 II skybolt Maine 0 07-05-2017 05:27 PM
Overdrive gears! Alexander_0_1 General Crawlers 4 03-03-2016 09:40 AM
overdrive gears crawler pilot Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 13 11-29-2009 04:23 PM