Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Beginners Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #121

Great info, Harley! Thanks!
Stoneaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #122
Rock Stacker

Excellent info on the Wraith in general-they have only just hit the shops here in Australia in VERY limited quantities.Overall,I am impressed with this vehicle apart from the suspension which is quite stiff and IMO mades the Wraith sit a bit too high.I have fitted a set of Axial 90mm alloy piggyback shocks (for the SCX10 Honcho).I fitted them with medium internal springs and 20wt shock oil and they seem o.k.Until I have a good play with it,I will run it stock then drop in a Sidewinder SCT esc,21.5T brushless motor and Spektrum receiver.
ausjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #123
Rock Crawler

Great guide! Thanks Harley for taking the time to put all of this information together in one spot.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #124
Pebble Pounder

Default Crawling Language Barrier

Yeah, for real. Thanks, bro. As the title say's it all. The Wraith bible you have put together really helped me understand what direction I needed to head in.
buzzbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #125
RCC Addict

I have been reading every update since you started this and never thought to say thanks
until I read the 4 post ahead of me.....saying thank you
thank you for updating this Guide Harley
it is nice, having it all in one spot, as already mentioned
prusik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #126
20K Club

No problem, happy to help guys.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #127
Rock Crawler

for those with a figure in the drivers seat, note that their feet may "kick" off the esc switch over rough terrain or stunts.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #128
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid View Post
for those with a figure in the drivers seat, note that their feet may "kick" off the esc switch over rough terrain or stunts.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #129
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid View Post
Lol. I relocated my switch cause it was hard to reach with a driver in the seat.
jjlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #130

Harley this is a great thread, but could I tap your knowledge a little. I've had my Wraith (really like it, it's my first scale rc) for a few days now and notice it really needs some upgrades for my area. We have about a hundred yards of dry creek bed on my land and I have a course I would consider more closely resembles rock racing than anything that I built for our Traxxas Summits. It has hill climbs ranging from 1 foot to 10 ft. We built a tough rock crawling area in the track (enough to challenge our summits). We have built log climbs up to a wooden bridge with log climbs and cable decents off the other side and currently working on rope bridge across the creeks. The banks are dirt moderate grade with roots to very steep on both sides of the creek (all loose rock dry creek bed in middle) with a flat area on one side where our bridge, rock pile and jumps (for the revo's and pedes) and 2 acres of my yard on the other.

Sorry, I'm so long winded but wanted everyone to kinda of see how my wraith will be run. I'm about to make my upgrade order for the Wraith and have decided I'll get all the new Vanquish stuff so I'm good there, but my problem is the esc and motor combo and wheels and truck weight. The truck has plenty of speed for our course stock, but it seems to need more torque/power (I'm only running 3300 nimhs right now and engine temps are 130 after running not even a full pack). I will eventually go to my SPC 5200, 40C 2S's or my SPC 4700 25C's 2S's, in this truck. I don't want a full blown modification to get a new esc to fit, closer to stock set up the better. I was leaning toward keeping the stock esc and getting a good brushed motor (no idea which one any ideas) or the Tekin FXR ESC and 35T "HD" Motor. Which would be best do you think for my use or am I off on both? Oh water proof is not necessary, I don't do water.

On wheels and tires should I go alum on the rims or plastic beadlocks with weights. The truck comes over backwards way to quick on the hills and bigger rocks. I've never owned a rock climber (well I don't consider Summits rock climbers) so I'm complete noob in this area. Also do I need to add weight to front of truck? Suggestions for rims, tire and adding weight to to truck is very welcomed.

Any other areas you see (or anyone) I may need to make improvements to this little beast for this type of area would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by JMiller2065; 07-31-2011 at 11:52 AM.
JMiller2065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #131
20K Club

JMiller, to keep the speed but add torque I would really suggest going to 3s LiPO. A good handwound motor in 27 turn range with 3s will have similar speed but more torque. The stock ESC will likely work but may be pushing it. A Holmes BRXL is working well for me but a sidewinder would probably work well for you too. Make sure you pick up a BEC too.

I would look into a new servo.

Wheels, get an aluminum beadlock. Also R35 Ripsaws would be my suggestion. You will need to weight the front to balance out that large battery in the rear. I like my balance point about where the front lower links meet the skid.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #132

Thanks so much for the information, that really helps. My kids and I are used to trying to stay light on our other trucks (mainly 4x4 stampedes and revos) staying away from alum as much as possible and using speed to launch the hill climbs they usually jump up the hills instead of climbing them. The summits we didn't do anything but add the light bars and go to orange springs in the rear and they tear the course up enough we don't even run lipo's in them. So I really appreciate the help I'm having to learn a whole new game, but this technical driving is really hitting the spot after months of destroying the creek with raw speed/power and jumping obstacles instead of crawling them.
JMiller2065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #133
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller2065 View Post
Thanks so much for the information, that really helps. My kids and I are used to trying to stay light on our other trucks (mainly 4x4 stampedes and revos) staying away from alum as much as possible and using speed to launch the hill climbs they usually jump up the hills instead of climbing them. The summits we didn't do anything but add the light bars and go to orange springs in the rear and they tear the course up enough we don't even run lipo's in them. So I really appreciate the help I'm having to learn a whole new game, but this technical driving is really hitting the spot after months of destroying the creek with raw speed/power and jumping obstacles instead of crawling them.
The reason I suggest aluminum for the wheels is because we usually destroy plastic hex areas in the wheels. Running light weight is definitely a plus but it usually comes at the expense of durability.

Looks like I need to do a wheels and tires section, I had forgot about that (so thanks for the reminder).
Old 08-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #134
Pebble Pounder

Hey guys I've been out of the RC game for about 20 years now. I bought a Wraith and im loving it, but since i've been gone alot has changed. Right now im running a 4200mah 6 cell battery, will going to lipo increase top end? Or will I have to swap out my motor?

I also would like to see a wheel and tire section as thats one thing i'd like to upgrade as well in the future. Seems like the parts and possibilities are endless... i tend to go over board on my real life car projects.... so i hope i can keep it pretty simple with my RC stuff. LOL
PUREVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:01 AM   #135
Pebble Pounder

Getting my Wraith finally this week.
Just a confirmation, AE-2 can handle 3S lipos without burning anything?
FinCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:59 AM   #136
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUREVIL View Post
Hey guys I've been out of the RC game for about 20 years now. I bought a Wraith and im loving it, but since i've been gone alot has changed. Right now im running a 4200mah 6 cell battery, will going to lipo increase top end? Or will I have to swap out my motor?

I also would like to see a wheel and tire section as thats one thing i'd like to upgrade as well in the future. Seems like the parts and possibilities are endless... i tend to go over board on my real life car projects.... so i hope i can keep it pretty simple with my RC stuff. LOL
Just going to LiPO wont increase the top end unless you go to 3s. You will get better punch if you have decent Lipo's and the lighter weight will help too.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:02 AM   #137
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinCrawler View Post
Getting my Wraith finally this week.
Just a confirmation, AE-2 can handle 3S lipos without burning anything?
The motor life will be reduced and you need a BEC. But otherwise it works well.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #138
20K Club

Wheels and tires info added.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #139
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
The motor life will be reduced and you need a BEC. But otherwise it works well.
Just watched a YouTube video of the "Un-boxing od a Wraith" and the fella put a Max-Amps 2200mAh 3Cell lipo staright in a Brand New Wraith. He didnt have a BEC, and when he flicked the switch you heard that sweet diddely dee, beep beep beep deedley dee song from the Castle built ESC. The steering worked and no smoke.. Would the lack of a BEC eventually blow the Servo or should it have puffed right away without the BEC ? was he just lucky ? He has tons of HD videos and seems to know his stuff.
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #140
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkawi650 View Post
Just watched a YouTube video of the "Un-boxing od a Wraith" and the fella put a Max-Amps 2200mAh 3Cell lipo staright in a Brand New Wraith. He didnt have a BEC, and when he flicked the switch you heard that sweet diddely dee, beep beep beep deedley dee song from the Castle built ESC. The steering worked and no smoke.. Would the lack of a BEC eventually blow the Servo or should it have puffed right away without the BEC ? was he just lucky ? He has tons of HD videos and seems to know his stuff.
No smoking the servo is not the problem. When you run a 3s LiPo it cuts down the ability of the internal BEC to supply enough power to run the servo. Again, with a 3s pack a BEC is required.

Just because a guy has a bunch of videos doesn't mean he is a reliable source for information. Just like a high post count doesn't mean anything, I'm full of shit most of the time

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/323522-wraith-beginners-guide.html
Posted By For Type Date
need help with the torque twist on the wraith - RC Rock Crawlers & Scalers @ URC Forums This thread Refback 02-14-2013 09:16 PM
looking to buy a crawler. whats good? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-16-2011 10:09 AM
RCCrawler.se • Visa trÃ¥d - Striiiker, Axial Wraith This thread Refback 12-08-2011 01:24 PM
RR Wraith By Rock (Star) - Pagina 2 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 12-03-2011 02:46 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 11-27-2011 03:27 PM
Nuovo Axial Wraith!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Pagina 70 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 11-22-2011 12:07 AM
KS Wraith This thread Refback 10-28-2011 05:21 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 10-27-2011 12:24 PM
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Lançamento: Axial Wraith KIT This thread Refback 10-17-2011 05:52 PM
RC crawler guys - thinking about getting into the hobby - Page 4 - YotaTech Forums This thread Refback 10-15-2011 12:06 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 10-07-2011 08:40 AM
ZONACRAWLING • Ver Tema - Axial Wraith: Experiencias, comentarios y preparaciones. This thread Refback 10-04-2011 05:04 PM

Wraith Beginners Guide - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XR-10 beginners problems mcmalta Electronics 10 11-29-2011 11:04 AM
beginners build firefighter1211 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 11-19-2010 09:44 PM
Beginners build mhuffman_81 EnRoute Berg 13 07-17-2009 05:42 PM
crawler for beginners farm__boy Newbie General 12 02-15-2009 02:07 PM
Beginners guide increasing your rigs sidewalling ability rockwerks General Crawlers 15 05-09-2007 06:26 PM