Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Rear axle short shaft issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #201
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Rear axle short shaft issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I am in the process of building my new Wraith Kit, it was just bought from lindinger.at
I also have the same problem with the short rear axle binding.
Contacted Axial and they are sending the correct and improved axle.
But because i dont want to wait for the new part i also bought a set of rear axles manufactured by Topcad (part number 23010).
Problem is that they are even binding more... !!
I cant believe it.

Just to make 100% sure that i am not doing anything wrong, has anyone measured the length of a proper one between the flange that that the outer bearing sits on and the inner flange that sits against the diff locker?

My old wrong one is measuring 71.05mm (2.797inch) and the Topcad 71.38mm (2.81inch)
The Topcad binds so bad that the axle almost dont turn around.
Topcad = junk for most everything I've seen from them. Return them, get your money back and buy replacement Axial...just make sure you read this whole thread so you know what to look for in the "good" axles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNorby View Post
Having same problem too with my old RTR axles. Right after I got it I added rear steer and swapped ring gear position at same time. Now going back to a solid rear axle and short side doesn't fit without binding up the gears. Still worth contacting axial about this years later you suppose?
Call them and see waht they say.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #202

Ok, so it's not me. Started putting my kit together last night and ran into the short side rear axle issue. I must have taken that thing apart 8 times thinking I did something wrong

Guess I'll give them a call.

Edit: Just called them and a replacement is on the way, nice folks!

Last edited by tjpatte; 12-16-2013 at 08:53 AM.
tjpatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #203
Rock Crawler

Axial told me since it is more than 90 days old to get bent.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #204
Quarry Creeper

This is very interesting. I'm about to start a kit myself. I will be looking out for this issue.
MexicanMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #205

New ones came in the mail today. The shoulder is definitely thinner and i think it will do the trick.
tjpatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #206
Quarry Creeper

New parts from Axial on the way..
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #207
Rock Crawler

Ok guys I've been doing research on this problem as I'm having it. As I'm not having it with stock axles I can't really find a fix. I have the universals in the rear with a clamping locker and am having the same issue as y'all are with the factory short side rear shafts. Best I can tell I'm only clamping on the very end and when using rear steer it's causing the shaft to pull out of my grub screws. After every run I have to reset the axle and torque the screws. Is there a measurement for the tang end that goes into the locker that I can check or do I need to get a new universal. Thanks for every bodies help.

Sent from my iPhone in the shop
fordsuperduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #208

Just got my kit in the mail today...started putting together as soon as you tighten screws on lockouts bam...binding! Ima twist lockouts 90 degrees and put screws in at 3 n 6 I dont wannt to drill metal and worry about a beveled flange and so on....doesnt last well ill just get vanquish axles haha
polcyn1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #209
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by polcyn1030 View Post
Just got my kit in the mail today...started putting together as soon as you tighten screws on lockouts bam...binding! Ima twist lockouts 90 degrees and put screws in at 3 n 6 I dont wannt to drill metal and worry about a beveled flange and so on....doesnt last well ill just get vanquish axles haha
If your getting binding when you tighten the lockouts I'd suggest checking you've got the right screws, they should only be 6mm (1/4") long, any longer & they are probably locking onto the axle inside the housing, rotating the lockouts won't fix that.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #210

I have the correct screws its just the short side as soon as you take the short shaft lockout off it spins freely but when you tightrn short shaft sidelockout it binds again would it be ok to remove the gasket from the gear in the differential? Does that gasket actually do anything? Its not like its a fluid or wet diff...
polcyn1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #211
RCC Addict

Ah ok, funny how much variance there is in these, my kit worked fine. Not that that helps you, sorry.
Removing the gasket might gain you some clearance, just be careful of the gear mesh, it'll probably go out badly when the locker can float between the bearings.
Maybe look at taking the lip off the locker end, the lip on the outer end will stop the shaft moving out & the cross pin & hex will keep it from moving in.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #212
Rock Stacker

Well guys... I cannot thank you enough for finding this problem.. I bought a wraith kit a few days back and had been putting it together.. As soon as I assembled the rear axle binding BAD.. So I would tear it back apart.. Couldn't find anything.. Put it back together.. Same problem.. So I was figuring I got a bad gear set.. So I ordered a new axle with gears.. Got them today..

I tore my old shafts out of the other axle.. (Long one was stuck with loc tite had to hacksaw my way into the axle to get it apart..) put the shafts in and All sounded good.. Then I put the lockouts on.. And low and behold BINDING again.. At this point I was ready to throw it out the window.. Then I clicked search.. WOW !!!

So here I sit now doing repair work on something that should have never left the factory .. I have one axle completely destroyed over it.. Had to pay more money to get a new axle.. Just to find out I had to drill a little..

Finally all back up and going.. The fix worked and the axle is smooth as butter..

Thanks guys !!!!
Stickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #213
Rock Stacker

Just bought my kit version last week and have this issue as well. The included short axle has the older (version 1) thick flange. I called Axial and they are gonna send out a new set, unfortunately they are out of stock and will be a couple of weeks before they get them back in. The rep said he hadn't heard of this issue for quite some time, so perhaps I got a kit that was sitting around for quite some time!

Thanks to this forum I've at least found out why the gears were grinding bad. Seeing as how I'm getting the newer axle version, I now have to decide what to do to get up and running in the mean time since I won't get the newer part for almost a month. Maybe I'll just grind the flange off the axel so it will fit in the ring gear farther as I don't want to mess with drilling the ring gear since that would screw up the fitting of the revised axel.
flyboy320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:18 AM   #214

Hi, I have just got my first axial kit, the wraith spawn. After hearing how axial were supposed tho be the best.... Well like many others, the front axle went together really well. Then the rear axle was just horrible. Like others I stripped it down, swapped parts in and out, wasted a whole evening.... I hope axial / hobby store sort it for me here in the UK.... I will let you know. Cheers for a great thread and excellent resource
Chris914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:34 AM   #215
Quarry Creeper

Sad this issues is still existing after such a long time... Never managed to get the older version replaced, so I had to lathe / narrow down the flange that is too thick and creates the bending issue....

Funny enough I had it in my honcho as well when upgrading to HD rings and HH spool. Tight tolerances and same binding issue...

I read around axial tolerances are not very consistent on the HD rings....
slimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #216

I called the model shop and they wanted me to return the axle, so I did. The next day I got a call and they have shimmed the ring gear and posted it back. Very quick and efficient service so far, so as soon as I get my hands on the parcel I will update.
If they had said that is what was needed though, I could have sorted it without all the posting back and forth.....
Also .... off topic slightly but the new three piece drive shafts are far from straight! The male part of all the options in my kit are all banana like to varying degrees....
Chris

UpDate
New drive shafts arrived very promplty.... much straighter!
Thank you Modelsport UK

Last edited by Chris914; 05-25-2016 at 11:40 PM. Reason: update
Chris914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:46 AM   #217

I have this problem on a new Axial Wraith Spawn kit that I bought from a dealer on Ebay last week.
I ordered vanquish axels, hopefully that will take care of the problem
Spawndn72 is offline   Reply With Quote