Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Rear axle short shaft issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #181
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Rear axle short shaft issue?

I emailed Axial after rebuilding mine with HD gears and new lockers and mine wouldn't go back together.

Hope they will ship a replacement to the UK.
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #182

Thanks for posting the photo. I have the same problem as others, though my calipers don't show a difference in the collar-to-shaft-end distance between my short and long shafts. At the same time, my collar thicknesses are equal.

Bought the 3 days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
And since I know there isn't a pic up yet that shows a comparison between the old shaft and the new one with the updated collar, I figured I'd post one for others to see in the future.
malekia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #183
V.O

I switched my shafts this weekend but the stock motor is still getting too hot. Do you think its because of the stress that occurred (starting smoking) before I switched the shafts? I'd like to get it all fixed before I put in my Holmes Torque Master pro and have that burn up too.
V.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #184

Called Axial today and was told they would send me replacements.

He was surprised that my recently purchased kit (from a high-volume dealer) had this issue. I don't know how recently they corrected this issue.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #185

Just ran into this axle problem on my kit build. Called Axial and they said they are shipping new parts no questions asked. Thanks Mark @ Axial, this is how customer service should be!
merauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #186
RCC Addict

Brandon hooked me up with replacement shafts for mine. solid customer service, right there... thanks again, man
4RunnerKid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #187
RCC Addict

I have two rear axles with that issue. Wonder if they would warranty it still, since I got them used..
ScaleReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #188
Quarry Creeper

I have an early kit, e-mailed them last night and had a response this morning and they are on the way. Great customer service.
322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #189
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 322 View Post
I have an early kit, e-mailed them last night and had a response this morning and they are on the way. Great customer service.

I emailed them saturday and have yet to get a response.....I understand they are not open on the weekends, but it is now the end of the day tuesday. I'm sure they'll get to it.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #190

I would call them. I called on a Monday and received the replacements by Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleReady View Post
I emailed them saturday and have yet to get a response.....I understand they are not open on the weekends, but it is now the end of the day tuesday. I'm sure they'll get to it.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #191
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by malekia View Post
I would call them. I called on a Monday and received the replacements by Friday.

Good call on that. I should have called. Here it is, basically a week later, and ZERO response
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #192
Quarry Creeper

Hallo all,

got same issue but on RTR version, actually since I drove the stock configuration all was fine and smooth. Just replaced the diff gears set with Heavy Duty from Axial and experienced the issue with the rear short shaft...
My RTR configuration came with the diff gears mounted as for the Wraith's manual (on page 15), however while installing the HD gear set I got the issue in the rear.

swapped the direction of the diff (ring gear towards the long shaft instead of the short one on in the rear) and it works perfectly, however I do not like to run it this way for 2 main reasons:

1- The HD gear set have spiral gear tooth and the standard direction works better for the thrust force (I read that the better configuration for spiral gears is in a way that the "The hand of the spiral should be selected so as to cause the gears to separate from each other and not to force them together, which might cause jamming.")

2- I am going to mount the diff covers by RC4WD (ARB design) and If I use the inverse direction of the diff gears the diff covers have to be mounted upside down resulting in the text "ARB" being also upside down....

So technically the solution I like the most is to mill out half of a mm the housing in the ring gear where the stop ring of the shaft is interfering and applying the un-desidered force that makes the gear meshing too tight...(even hard to rotate by hand) however it is not nice having to rework brand new parts made for Heavy Duty usage...

getting the upgraded short shaft from Axial is an option but I do not like the "weak design" due to the extremely reduced thickness of the stop ring/slope...which seems to be sort of an knife... and not very robust.

However, this thread was very useful for me even if I experinced such an issue only this week.....

Thanks and keep you posted!
slimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #193
Quarry Creeper

After I put in my HD gears and HR lockers I had the same problem with binding due to the rear shaft. I emailed Axial this morning I hope they send out the "new" style short shaft!
BoardN88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #194

I got my kit this week from Tower and it has this same issue. I grinded the gears bad when I put the axle end cap on the short side. I drilled the bevel (ring) gear and it is super smooth now. May see if I can get the updated part for later though I should I ever get the HD bevel gear.

Thanks everyone in here for the info.
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #195
Quarry Creeper

I deduced the thickness to 0,4 mm of the flange and it works fine, I did not want to drill the HD ring as I assume it would be hard to tool... However the flange now is really thin and I guess not robust enough in case of heavy side crash..... I'll test it and see. PS: emailed Axial customer support and they re addressed me to the dealer in Europe where I live and bought the kit, too PITA and much quicker to do it myself! ;).

Slim
slimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #196
Rock Crawler

I'm sad to report that this issue has still not been resolved. I got a kit today with the very same problem, and ruined my ring gear trying to drill it out a little. I made the mistake of using a hand drill and the bit grabbed and drilled out the entire section that the flange is supposed to butt up against.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #197
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
I'm sad to report that this issue has still not been resolved. I got a kit today with the very same problem, and ruined my ring gear trying to drill it out a little. I made the mistake of using a hand drill and the bit grabbed and drilled out the entire section that the flange is supposed to butt up against.
Wow, over a year ago and still this problem exists? Good reason to buy the HD gear set I guess.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #198
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Wow, over a year ago and still this problem exists? Good reason to buy the HD gear set I guess.
To be fair they have revamped the shaft, but whether or not they are included in the newest production kits, there are still some being sold with the old one.

I've spoke with a number of people over at Axial and all of them have been very helpful and have made sure I'm taken care of. They are a huge hit in the RC world and backing their product with top notch service plays a big role.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #199

I am in the process of building my new Wraith Kit, it was just bought from lindinger.at
I also have the same problem with the short rear axle binding.
Contacted Axial and they are sending the correct and improved axle.
But because i dont want to wait for the new part i also bought a set of rear axles manufactured by Topcad (part number 23010).
Problem is that they are even binding more... !!
I cant believe it.

Just to make 100% sure that i am not doing anything wrong, has anyone measured the length of a proper one between the flange that that the outer bearing sits on and the inner flange that sits against the diff locker?

My old wrong one is measuring 71.05mm (2.797inch) and the Topcad 71.38mm (2.81inch)
The Topcad binds so bad that the axle almost dont turn around.
Bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #200
Rock Crawler

Having same problem too with my old RTR axles. Right after I got it I added rear steer and swapped ring gear position at same time. Now going back to a solid rear axle and short side doesn't fit without binding up the gears. Still worth contacting axial about this years later you suppose?
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote