Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #781
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

hi guys i just both a wraith kit and order my combo mmp whit bec / tekin pro 4 cos most ppl tell is the best combo for wraith

i want do to some rock racing and go into sand pit i want a gd top speed and do some lil crawling /mud/snow

il run it on 2s lipo 40c 5000mah cos i got 6of those for mysc10;) so my question is what is the gear pignon/spur gear i shud use
il also get the robinson metal gear for tranny and mip center drive shaft kit for handle the power ;)
and do the 3s lipo make a realy big difference
and do i have to do something into the diff ?

thx for help and sry if some1 already asked that im lost into all the comment i readed couple page but im french and start to be confused

Last edited by wmax99; 08-13-2012 at 02:24 AM.
wmax99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #782
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax99 View Post
hi guys i just both a wraith kit and order my combo mmp whit bec / tekin pro 4 cos most ppl tell is the best combo for wraith

i want do to some rock racing and go into sand pit i want a gd top speed and do some lil crawling /mud/snow

il run it on 2s lipo 40c 5000mah cos i got 6of those for mysc10;) so my question is what is the gear pignon/spur gear i shud use
il also get the robinson metal gear for tranny and mip center drive shaft kit for handle the power ;)
and do the 3s lipo make a realy big difference
and do i have to do something into the diff ?

thx for help and sry if some1 already asked that im lost into all the comment i readed couple page but im french and start to be confused

The first page of this thread has the gearing information you need.

Yes going to 3s make a big difference, it will give you 50% more power then 2s will.

There is a link to the Bulletproof Wraith thread in the Beginners guide sticky. Read that for info on what you will need to upgrade to help hold the Pro4 power.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #783

OK I fried my stock motor this week. So if your going to be running RC4WD's new 2 speed trans what motor would you run?
I do more crawling then fast but I would like to open it up every now and then. I know the 2 speed trans will help with that.

Thanks
Noob
comanchekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #784
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanchekid View Post
OK I fried my stock motor this week. So if your going to be running RC4WD's new 2 speed trans what motor would you run?
I do more crawling then fast but I would like to open it up every now and then. I know the 2 speed trans will help with that.

Thanks
Noob
Possibly a 35 turn, I haven't seen much from that trans yet.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #785

NOOB WARNING!!!

I can't make up my mind on which motor to get! I'm torn between going with a 27t or 35t motor and am looking at Novak Rock Star Expert, Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster Expert, and Tekin HD T-Series. Is one brand better than the others or are they more or less on equal ground? My major dilemma is that I want to improve my the torque and low end control but I would like to maintain enough speed to have some fun with it. Another concern I have is that I plan on building a steel tube chassis (I may be new to RC but not to custom metal work) and I'm guessing that the extra weight will demand a higher torque motor. My usual terrain/ running conditions are trails with plenty of roots and some good sized logs, dirt/ gravel, and some actual rock crawling if I can find some good spots.

Last edited by FUSION3975; 08-17-2012 at 11:53 PM.
FUSION3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #786

ok. so either i forgot where i saw or missed it alltogether during the last 3hr of reading but will a CrawlMaster Pro 540 (13t) run with the stock axial ESC
cmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #787
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUSION3975 View Post
NOOB WARNING!!!

I can't make up my mind on which motor to get! I'm torn between going with a 27t or 35t motor and am looking at Novak Rock Star Expert, Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster Expert, and Tekin HD T-Series. Is one brand better than the others or are they more or less on equal ground? My major dilemma is that I want to improve my the torque and low end control but I would like to maintain enough speed to have some fun with it. Another concern I have is that I plan on building a steel tube chassis (I may be new to RC but not to custom metal work) and I'm guessing that the extra weight will demand a higher torque motor. My usual terrain/ running conditions are trails with plenty of roots and some good sized logs, dirt/ gravel, and some actual rock crawling if I can find some good spots.
If you are somewhat concerned about wheel speed, go for the 27. The Torquemaster from Holmes is handwound so it will be a little higher quality motor.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #788
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmahon View Post
ok. so either i forgot where i saw or missed it alltogether during the last 3hr of reading but will a CrawlMaster Pro 540 (13t) run with the stock axial ESC
You should be able to run it without an issue.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #789
Rock Crawler

Admittedly I didn't read all 40 pages, so I'll ask this:
I didn't see anything about battery: Is this all recommended on 2s, because obviously on 3s+ there's a nice speed increase...
I've been running the following combos with excellent results and no issues (with MIP center axles)

1: 35t Novak crawl motor, 2nd set of brushes, no problems. 2s. 80/20. great crawler this way. stock esc. Bec.
2: 35t Novak crawl motor, still stock brushes, no problems. 3s. 90/17. excellent crawl ability and nice wheel speed. Very comparable to the 2s with gearing stock. very very close to the same, but better low end control. Stock esc. Bec.
3: 13.5t brushless sensored on MMPro, 3s, 90/17 was way too much top end, so moved to 90/14 and it's reasonable now. haha. MMpro setup is 0 deg timing until 10krpm, then added 30 degrees. Crazy nice low speed crawling and a real gigantic amount of torque available. (gear shredding). Wheel speed is close to slash 2wd stock. That's enough for me and anyone else I know. This system makes absolutely no motor or esc heat. Bec.

That's my wraith setups. Hope it's ok to add these here.
Generis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
You should be able to run it without an issue.

what would be the best batteryfor this? i have a nimh now so need to sep it up?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #791
20K Club

Quote:
what would be the best batteryfor this? i have a nimh now so need to sep it up?
It's mostly personal preference. I run 3s batteries in everything I own pretty much. I have ran everything fron 5250 3s packs to 2200 3s packs in my Wraith. Just depends on where you want to put it and how long you want to be able to run.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #792

Quote:
It's mostly personal preference. I run 3s batteries in everything I own pretty much. I have ran everything fron 5250 3s packs to 2200 3s packs in my Wraith. Just depends on where you want to put it and how long you want to be able to run.

5250 = more power and 2200 = longer lasting?
i am way to new into the rc world to understand or know what all the different termioligy means. yes i have looked thru the biginners thread. so let me ask this. every one wants either a go fast or a crawler. why cant one just swap motors and gearing to fit the mood your in. is there a good battery and ESC set up that would handle a go fast motor and then back to a crawler motor or is it not that easy. or better yet i was thinking about having 2 motor and trans set-up's. takes 3 min to pull everything. and just swap them out.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #793
20K Club

Quote:
5250 = more power and 2200 = longer lasting?
i am way to new into the rc world to understand or know what all the different termioligy means. yes i have looked thru the biginners thread. so let me ask this. every one wants either a go fast or a crawler. why cant one just swap motors and gearing to fit the mood your in. is there a good battery and ESC set up that would handle a go fast motor and then back to a crawler motor or is it not that easy. or better yet i was thinking about having 2 motor and trans set-up's. takes 3 min to pull everything. and just swap them out.
That number on for the battery refers to capacity. The higher the number the more capacity it has. However the bigger the battery the bigger it is.

It also comes into play with how much power it can output (when multiplied by the C rating). Thats a whole topic on it's own really.

You can definitely have two motors if you felt like swapping everything out. Usually there is more to a fast setup or a crawler setup then just the motor though. It has to do with your suspension and rolling stock as well. A soft crawler tire isn't going to handle speed very well. See what I mean?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #794

Quote:
That number on for the battery refers to capacity. The higher the number the more capacity it has. However the bigger the battery the bigger it is.

It also comes into play with how much power it can output (when multiplied by the C rating). Thats a whole topic on it's own really.

You can definitely have two motors if you felt like swapping everything out. Usually there is more to a fast setup or a crawler setup then just the motor though. It has to do with your suspension and rolling stock as well. A soft crawler tire isn't going to handle speed very well. See what I mean?

i absolutly understand. let me explain my situation and it may better explain what i am going for..... i do mainly crawling and trail. recently i have had the itch to haul A$$. i dont mind upgrading weak links for a gaser (wont hurt for a crawler either). i have plenty of extras to help in the go fast aplication that would not take long to change out so not concerned with that (isn't working on these things part of the fun). main question. what ESC/battery setup would be good for both motors? is there one that can run a brushed (crawling) and brushless (fast)? is there a fast brushed option? what motors for that specific ESC? or something else that anyone else would recoment doing to fit my (have my cake and eat it to) needs?

Last edited by cmahon; 08-21-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: fix again
Old 08-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #795
I wanna be Dave

Pretty much any decent brushless esc can be programmed for either motor type.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #796

Quote:
what ESC/battery setup would be good for both motors? is there one that can run a brushed (crawling) and brushless (fast)? is there a fast brushed option? what motors for that specific ESC? or something else that anyone else would recoment doing to fit my (have my cake and eat it to) needs?
I asked the same question on page 37 (message 731). Look at the response I got.

FWIW: I decided to get the Mamba Max Pro and the Tekin Pro4 3,300.
malekia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #797
Rock Stacker

ok im pretty much retarded when it comes to brushless
i killed the stock 20 t motor i knew it was coming i have a basic 27 turn motor in it does better crawling but i liked the speed of the 20t
now her comes my newb question
im lookin and going brushless basicly i dont see any water i was thinking tekin rx8 and pro 4 combo but then i dont wanna thow a ton of money into it righht away and replace my whole drivetrain

so i was looking at other things
but what does
a 13.5
and an 18.5 equate to in the brushed speeds that way i can somewhat get an idea of wich way i wanna go

thanx and what can i expect to kill with this
84socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #798
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84socal View Post
ok im pretty much retarded when it comes to brushless
i killed the stock 20 t motor i knew it was coming i have a basic 27 turn motor in it does better crawling but i liked the speed of the 20t
now her comes my newb question
im lookin and going brushless basicly i dont see any water i was thinking tekin rx8 and pro 4 combo but then i dont wanna thow a ton of money into it righht away and replace my whole drivetrain

so i was looking at other things
but what does
a 13.5
and an 18.5 equate to in the brushed speeds that way i can somewhat get an idea of wich way i wanna go

thanx and what can i expect to kill with this
A 17.5 brushless is about like your 27. The 13.5 will be a little faster then stock. Get a good ESC and you can throw the Pro4 in later.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #799

Hi people, yesterday i read this entire thread - yes it was an epic read and it left me kinda unsure what to do. today i thought what the hell, ordered the wraith kit, MMP esc (with the program card thingy), castle BEC, savox (SA1283SG) servo. i actually ordered a relatively standard 27 turn brushed motor as the Pro4 3300 with the 5mm shaft and therefore different pitch gears confused the hell out of me. i'm in the UK and have no idea where to source any of these upgrade parts that i would require to handle the extra power. anyway, thats me, i'm new, learning and didn't want to come here just asking questions.
Plyfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #800
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plyfold View Post
Hi people, yesterday i read this entire thread - yes it was an epic read and it left me kinda unsure what to do. today i thought what the hell, ordered the wraith kit, MMP esc (with the program card thingy), castle BEC, savox (SA1283SG) servo. i actually ordered a relatively standard 27 turn brushed motor as the Pro4 3300 with the 5mm shaft and therefore different pitch gears confused the hell out of me. i'm in the UK and have no idea where to source any of these upgrade parts that i would require to handle the extra power. anyway, thats me, i'm new, learning and didn't want to come here just asking questions.
You went a good direction. You have a SOLID base and won't end up having to replace anything extra if you want to upgrade in the future.