Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Moving battery mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Moving battery mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthellfire911 View Post
This hobby is all about modding stuff. I personally dont have a problem changing things up or making things work how I want. Its a big part of the crawling hobby. How do you think crawling started. It sure wasn't from someone just producing a kit. People had to make their own rigs from the ground up... Just some food for thought..
Yes, I was here in the beginning and built my first truck before most of these companies even knew what a crawler was. I have no problem building a part for myself, but if I buy a product that is specifically designed for a specific vehicle, then I assume that it will at least fit that vehicle without me having to hack it to pieces...

When the Crawler Innovations mount comes out, I will get rid of this CKRC crap.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

I used the CKRC battery plate and had no issues with trimming to fit. Here are a few finished pictures under the hood. I mounted my Goat2s ESC up front and put my RX, BEC, and wires in a rear project box from Radio Shack.
Attached Images

Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane View Post
I used the CKRC battery plate and had no issues with trimming to fit. Here are a few finished pictures under the hood. I mounted my Goat2s ESC up front and put my RX, BEC, and wires in a rear project box from Radio Shack.
What are you using for hood pins?
SlowGrynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

I forgot the part number but they are from the Traxxas Stampeed battery hold down kit. Works perfect.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Another vote for the CKRC Mount. Yea - I had to trim it to, But for the 2 minutes of trimming with lexan scissors (oh so hard ) it sure as hell looks clean and provided a great base for my install... You could buy some delrin sheet and make it yourself, But i kinda dig the way it ties into the cage - and its pretty much done, ready to drop in - some trimming.
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiEzel View Post
(oh so hard )
Who said it was "hard"? All I mentioned was that it is a product that they sell that doesn't fit the intended application. I guess that is something that I look for in the products that I purchase....
Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I forgot the part number but they are from the Traxxas Stampeed battery hold down kit. Works perfect.
Thanks. I'll dig around and see if I can find them. That's a really clean look..
Old 01-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

The only trimming was for routing my wires from the lights, servo and ESC. To build it myself it would have taken hours to get it to fit right plus the material. $15 was well worth it.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The only trimming was for routing my wires from the lights, servo and ESC. To build it myself it would have taken hours to get it to fit right plus the material. $15 was well worth it.
Mine was too wide, too long and the cutout for the tranny was too small.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Who said it was "hard"? All I mentioned was that it is a product that they sell that doesn't fit the intended application. I guess that is something that I look for in the products that I purchase....
Guess i didn't have to trim much to make it fit in mine, just little extra in one spot and it would of plopped right in. But i hacked mine up.. Guess you got a bad one. Thats to bad - Hard to beat for the price.
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
Thanks. I'll dig around and see if I can find them. That's a really clean look..
Also use 1/4" cable clamps for the hinge side of the hood. It is the best way for easy access to under the hood.

TRA3727 is the traxxas pin part number.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

I have the CKRC battery tray, and I appreciate that it is available for us

I also had to trim around the transmission cutout and along the back to fit up against the modified (folded) interior as per CKRC instructions. I made some aluminum fender liners so I also had to trim away around the post holes (second pic) and I made a cut out for the battery wires along the rear of the tray. But all of the mounting holes from CKRC were spot on, which is really what matters And IMO any trimming that might have been necessary was just an opportunity to customize and personalize. Now my big old Traxxas 5800 mah battery fits in the new location just fine, is easy to get too and everything is nice and tidy.
Attached Images

Land Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Also use 1/4" cable clamps for the hinge side of the hood. It is the best way for easy access to under the hood.

TRA3727 is the traxxas pin part number.
Thanks..
Old 01-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

If you guys are moving the esc to the rear how are you getting the wires to reach back up to the reciever box. I was in the process of doing all this today and after i have my wraith in pieces it just hit me that the thr wire isnt gonna reach up. Im new to the hobby so i dont have any lying around to make it longer :(
Fanfor88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

You need to get an extension from the Local Hobby Shop(LHS).
Old 03-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Sorry for the newbie follow-up, but I'll be doing this mod fairly soon on an RTR and I haven't had the opportunity to take it apart yet to look at how the connections are made.
So which type of cable do I need for this, a 3-wire M & F connections, about 10cm (4") long? Any pre-packaged versions that are recommended (or recommended against)?
Thanks!
Scurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
Sorry for the newbie follow-up, but I'll be doing this mod fairly soon on an RTR and I haven't had the opportunity to take it apart yet to look at how the connections are made.
So which type of cable do I need for this, a 3-wire M & F connections, about 10cm (4") long? Any pre-packaged versions that are recommended (or recommended against)?
Thanks!
I have the receiver up front and the esc in the back and the cable is plenty long enough. I just have the esc all the way forward in the old battery box.
turdferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
The 1/16th delrin is lighter and plenty strong. It is also cheaper to purchase and faster to machine. All of the proto types I made are 1/16th delrin and there has not been any issues reported by those testing them. I didn't want extra weight up high in the chassis either which is why it's 1/16 thick.

Is this available now?
Quiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdferguson View Post
I have the receiver up front and the esc in the back and the cable is plenty long enough. I just have the esc all the way forward in the old battery box.
What did you have to do with the ESC to mount it in the back?
Quiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiel View Post
What did you have to do with the ESC to mount it in the back?
I just have it ziptied to the original battery tray with the ccbec ziptied to it. The receiver box and the battery are both upfront.
turdferguson is offline   Reply With Quote