Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: stock speed ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: stock speed ?

I say E
you say bay
E
BAY
E
BAY!
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #82
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
Oh dear. I'm back to square one again. May look at a cheap brushless hobbywing on flea bay, cod water proof it myself.
Not happy, may trade wraith for another e maxx.
After I cry myself to sleep.
Lol
Dude! I got my wraith up to 45km/h with a cheap 8 turn BL. set. It will go much faster, but it gets quite uncontrollable. EZrun= rather expensive. Take a look at HobbyKing dot com. Cheap Brushless galore. Have to say that the hobbywing ESC are pretty cog-free.

If You're not in millimetric precise crawling, cheap sensorless will do just fine.

I have a hobbywing 8t in my Kyosho ultima DB, and that gets up to 65km/h until I run out of parkinglot, that is. Didn't dare to try 11.1v. £85.- or thereabout, even cheaper on flea-bay.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

I definitely need 35kmh, I need a ESC that doesn't have a fan as well. I intend on waterproofing it. There's just too much to know, and mistakes prove costly. Don't get me wrong I do like the wraith its just getting right under my skin.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #84
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I definitely need 35kmh, I need a ESC that doesn't have a fan as well. I intend on waterproofing it. There's just too much to know, and mistakes prove costly. Don't get me wrong I do like the wraith its just getting right under my skin.
I understand.
Have You thought about a cheap, brushed modified in the 19 to 15 turn range? Single-wind for raw, axle twisting accelleration, and double-wind for smooth power delivery, and controllable mid-range.
Especially with a 17 t single mod 35kp/h is easy, and it will still crawl admirably.

Any ballbearing equipped modified motor is better than a Titan as far as performance goes.

With the surge in brushless, brushed motors are getting cheaper and cheaper.

Conrad dot com has a plethora of cheap, brushed modified 540-type motors.

The only thing is that brushed mods need a bit of maintenance every now&then.
Worn-out brushes need replacement, comms need to be cut... Etc. Etc. ( the exact reason I got fed-up with expensive -on the long run- brushed motors. BL seems expensive at first, until one realized that the only parts that wear, are the ball-bearings, and they are just €12.- to replace once a season.) plus the power..The Powerrrr!!

But, at least for some experimenting , brushed mods are a relatively cheap option. And they don't mind getting wet much. The Traxxas ESC will also run with a 15t mod on stock gearing (20/80). Plenty fast.

If You decide to plonk-down the money for a brushless, do not go above 10 turns (VXL is a 10 turn 3500kv, so You know) and see if You got the funds for a sensored set.
I realized that an 6.5 to 8.5 BL was exactly in the ball-park for my lust for speed, allthewhile not forgetting about heavy off-roading. ( the 6.5 is a bit of over kill though..)

Last edited by Jay-Em; 12-28-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

A couple of Titan twelve turns later I've just tried a Titan twenty one reverse rotation, ran on 3s, 23/80. Absolute pants. Fair bit of torque but slower than stock. Probably get a hobbywing 10 t next and try to waterproof it.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
A couple of Titan twelve turns later I've just tried a Titan twenty one reverse rotation, ran on 3s, 23/80. Absolute pants. Fair bit of torque but slower than stock. Probably get a hobbywing 10 t next and try to waterproof it.
What is "pants?" How much slower than stock?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

Only a couple mph, I want a rock racer, jumps and mud bogging. As it stands now if I drive full throttle off a small ledge, the motor doesn't even have enough power to let all four wheels land at once. Its always nose diving. I'm gonna get a hobbywing brushless and try and waterproof it. I've been looking at the 13.5t, I don't want ballistic, just not stock speed. I would recommend the Titan 21 if you were happy with 12ish mph. Its very torquey .
Pants is English for underwear, a figure of speech for crap. Or garbage whatever that means lol

Last edited by crazee horse; 02-09-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

OK thanks, got it now.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote