Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Revo Rod Ends

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Revo Rod Ends

Ok I might be a totally idiot but I am lost. I read a lot of the posts and they all upgraded to Ravo metal end links. So I bought some. I went to install them and noticed the thread hole on the end links is larger then the hardware that is currently in place on my steering and links. What do I need to do get them installed? Like I said I know I am missing something and its probably something simple but I just can't figure it out. Thanks for any help you guys can give me. ALLEN
SpecE30Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Revo Rod Ends

most aftermarket stuff is 3mm but alot of ppl is starting to make the 4mm. your link is more than likely a 3mm and you bought 4mm revo rod ends. you could either buy the 3mm revo ends or get 4mm links thats about your only 2 options man.
ax10tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Not true..
You can drill them out, tap them to a larger size, and purchase some larger grub screws or all thread to make them work...
I like 10-24 for revo and jato rod ends. You can pick up a tap and drill from your local hardware, or I use McMaster-Carr.

To make custom links is VERY easy. Go to mcmaster.com and order some 10-24 threaded rod.
The order some .250 tubing, I like the stainless steel cause it is very strong and won't rust.
Cut the all thread to the proper length, remember you can always shorten it, making it longer is a little tougher.
Before I put the rod ends on, I use a 10-24 tap and run some threads in to the rod ends.
Makes the fitting very nice and tight on the all thread.
Cut the tubing, using a dremel, saw, or tubing cutter, and slide it over the all thread. Put the ends back on, and you have links.

Making bent ones requires a little more work, you have to bend the tubing and all thread together, which can be a challenge. Hope this gives you some ideas.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I've always been told to use 8-32 all thread w/ revo rod ends. Seems to work really well, and no tap needed for this combo
ned72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

All-thread is ghetto.

I was shown this link yesterday.
RCCrawler.com- Your #1 source for Radio Controlled Rockcrawling!

And this
RC Accessories - Titanium Links - Vanquish Products

But the short answer to your question is you ordered the wrong size.
Easiest fix would be to see if you can return them. Or keep them for custom links and order the right size.
dirtyjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #6
RCC Addict

5/32" is almost exactly 4mm.

TowerHobbies.com | K&S Music Wire 5/32" 36" (7)

Be prepared to get frustrated trying to bend and thread this stuff, it sucks. But the reward is worth it.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

this thread is almost 3 years old...
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

hahaha.

they just wanted to make sure he got this 3 year problem fixed. SHIT IS HILARIOUS WHEN SOMEONE ANSWERS A THREAD QUSTION ON SOMETHING SIMPLE AFTER 2 OR 3 YEARS.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Shit is hilarious when you can't figure out how to use a caps lock button.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Are you illiterate as you can notice the caps starts at the beginning of the sentence. Plus i have to go back sometimes to fix spelling cause my phone looks like the san andreas fault line it has so many cracks .

Last edited by mrhobby100; 02-20-2015 at 08:34 AM.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

[QUOTE=dirtyjed;5151125]All-thread is ghetto.

And this

Easiest fix would be to see if you can return them. Or keep them for custom links

First time I've made links so this was a good method for me cause it's cheap and really easy. Will go to this way in the long run.

Last edited by ned72; 02-21-2015 at 07:15 PM.
ned72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjed View Post
All-thread is ghetto.

And this

Easiest fix would be to see if you can return them. Or keep them for custom links and order the right size.
The threaded tube is still hollow. Typical way of all thread sleeved with tube is much more durable.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:29 PM   #13
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
The threaded tube is still hollow. Typical way of all thread sleeved with tube is much more durable.
The Vanquish links are not hollow tube, neither are the STRC/Wraith (#STA80083) nor the Axial 7mm links in the Wraith kit (#AX30792 "aluminum rod"). The link posted above to the home made links also states "rod" not pipe or tube.

The Vanquish appear to be titanium alloy round bar with external threads cut on each end. The STRC/Wraith and Axial/Wraith 7mm links are solid aluminum bar with internal threads cut into the ends for the set screw. The hole does not pass through and neither do the treads.

The 6mm links on the SCX10 are in fact thick wall aluminum "pipe" which is why Axial usually calls them "pipe". They're hollow, but the threads are not cut all the way through, just an inch, maybe less, in each end.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
The Vanquish links are not hollow tube, neither are the STRC/Wraith (#STA80083) nor the Axial 7mm links in the Wraith kit (#AX30792 "aluminum rod"). The link posted above to the home made links also states "rod" not pipe or tube.

The Vanquish appear to be titanium alloy round bar with external threads cut on each end. The STRC/Wraith and Axial/Wraith 7mm links are solid aluminum bar with internal threads cut into the ends for the set screw. The hole does not pass through and neither do the treads.

The 6mm links on the SCX10 are in fact thick wall aluminum "pipe" which is why Axial usually calls them "pipe". They're hollow, but the threads are not cut all the way through, just an inch, maybe less, in each end.
Edit: Apparently I need better comprehension skills. The drilled rod is what was being done.

I went allthread because drilling rod by hand is rough to keep straight. Along with being too big to be scale.

I'll show myself out...

Last edited by Meatwad; 02-21-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:59 PM   #15
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Edit: Apparently I need better comprehension skills. The drilled rod is what was being done.

I went allthread because drilling rod by hand is rough to keep straight. Along with being too big to be scale.

I'll show myself out...
Don't sweat it, I miss things right in front of me sometimes. Then wonder how I managed to miss it.

Drilling and tapping the end of a rod isn't an easy task, even with a drill press you have deflection in the drill bit and some in the spindle. A center punch helps as does a center drill to start the holes.

I cheat though, I just chuck the rod up in the little lathe and let it keep things centered for me.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:23 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

A lathe is definitely the most proper tool for an operation like that. Sleeved allthread is as good as it gets for those with simple hand tools.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:54 PM   #17
I joined the Band!

Yeah, the tubing/threaded rod links are something most people can do and they generally have the tools on hand. If not, the tools they need are relatively cheap and easy to find.

Revo Rod Ends - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4mm rod for Revo rod ends rcjackson0926 Axial XR10 11 03-03-2011 01:50 PM
Revo and Jato rod ends bigdaddy13 Newbie General 5 07-22-2010 05:14 PM
revo rod ends MadMax5978 Newbie General 9 01-05-2010 06:37 PM
Revo rod ends Scattman General Crawlers 4 05-13-2009 08:49 PM
Revo Rod Ends bigdodge88 General Crawlers 20 11-14-2008 11:05 AM