Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Too much articulation wtf?!!?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Too much articulation wtf?!!?!?

IMO the Wraith doesn't need any more articulation. I have more than a tire height with the stock shocks angled as far as they can. The damn thing is so top heavy, I want it lower.
BurnLatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnyote View Post
I say:

You respond:

You're ridiculous man..... I love it. Thanks for the entertainment.

Edit: thread officially derailed

Everyody seems so harsh here. If you don't have any helpful information for him stop padding your post stats. If you think a thread is ridiculous just ignore it, someone else will try to help him instead. What are discussion forums for if not to discuss? it's a strange "community" dynamic on this board. With every post i make i feel like i am walking on eggshells, reading it five times, then waiting for the flaming to begin.

I have always stuck to the one tire height articulation and had great results. Start there, and mod to your liking.

...and I am sure I will get torn apart for this post as well
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnLatex View Post
IMO the Wraith doesn't need any more articulation. I have more than a tire height with the stock shocks angled as far as they can. The damn thing is so top heavy, I want it lower.
Everyone uses their rig for different driving types, the stock flex limits my vehicle badly where i drive it, but yours is suitable for your needs. I often wonder what other Crawler rigs people have had other than Wraiths when they say it has enough out of the box. I have had many crawlers, and the Wraith simply could not keep up with any of them. But if you are using it as a "Rock Racer" as it was intended to be, it is probably fine, but as a true "Crawler", mine was borderline useless out of the box, with the shocks laid back. It was embarrassing while trying to follow friends with more crawler based rigs.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

You know what they say about guys with big articulation...
sdtech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #45
Rock Stacker

Long shocks ^
irollgen4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Always getting stuck in "holes" they can't get out of...
sdtech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fire View Post
Everyody seems so harsh here, it makes me wanna cry and put on a skirt. With every post i make i feel like i am walking in high heels, putting on lipstick five times, then waiting for the flaming to begin.

One tire flex seems legit
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #48

Well at least I sure as shit learned sumthin'! Thanks guys, without this thread I would not have understood the reasoning behind people using limiter straps and bumpstops on their rigs (1:1 and scaler) and that's honest truth there!
WLYSTLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYSTLZ View Post
Well at least I sure as shit learned sumthin'! Thanks guys, without this thread I would not have understood the reasoning behind people using limiter straps and bumpstops on their rigs (1:1 and scaler) and that's honest truth there!
Limiting straps/bump stops are apparently not used as you think they are on 1:1 going by what you just said. It is constantly shocking to me how many people in the Wraith forum talk about suspension design with such a serious position made on assumptions. Especially people that defend using the stock suspension in crawling situations...
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

a lot of travel might help you in some situations, but most of the time, you will need less travel and more traction and less body roll, etc

if you want 90 degrees go for it. and the best thing, go out with someone that has the same tires with less travel, then you'll see who has the advantage!!! (5 bucks on the limited one hehe)
Daddydancool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #51
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
I also think that some people's idea of a tough comp obstacle are way different than others. Today's comp here in AZ was humbling to say the least.
I assume that was a jab at my pic?
Everyone thinks it's easy till they actually have to climb it.

Out of 10 Class 3 trucks that started, only 3 finished.
I invite you to came out anytime you can make it
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

I keep hearing this 90* number being tossed around.
I don't think the opposition ever stated they thought they needed or wanted 90*.
All was asked for was "more" than stock.
In fact, even "better" than stock.

If you think the stock ride height is ok than you have not driven the Wraith and are forming opinions on assumption.
It's way top heavy and turtles constantly. (let me guess) Thats cause I need to learn to drive" right?
Can we stop countering the questions about more travel with '90* is useless and you suck for having it', with maybe a discussion about lowering ride height, which seems acceptable to most, and then increasing droop, at least back to a stock level.

The 1 tire height rule you all have boners over is much more than a stock wraith
Will have left after the droop kit is installed. Seems on my wraith after the droop and link mount flip if I were to then further limit travel, I might as well take the shocks off.

Also, if you are a "scale freak" (not you personally Max),
Can you please refrain from being bias as to how a real truck would look at act? Lets assume we are trying to build a crawler only use vehicle and the scale factor was being loosely interpreted
For fun.
BELADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #53

Okay, so I post a legit post explaining that I understand something in a thread full of contest pissing and even I get flamed. Yea this isn't the place for me. Here's the issues at hand:

1) posting a question to just defend your opinion of an amateur assumption is rude and inconsiderate. Post a real question and try to understand the logic. People on here are apparently very knowledgeable in this area. Listen to their reasoning and at least appreciate their input. No one says you have to agree.

2) making a snotty comeback to said first post is fuel for the tire fire. Now it's all flaming and nothing to be gained anymore.

3) limiter straps can/are used for some purposes like holding your suspension together during max articulation, and bumpstops on full comp rigs keep things from going to the other extreme. Yes I understand how shit is used.

4) I definitely feel welcome in this community now, and look forward to watching my post getting deleted and account banned. Good luck.
WLYSTLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #54
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELADOG View Post
Also, if you are a "scale freak" (not you personally Max).
Thank you for the leaving me out Bela LOL And the 90* number goes back to when people thought and wanted the most flex possible! However even looking at the top comp crawlers most of them don't have the flex that people seem to think that they do. Less flex really helps in a rigs predictability which translates into better driveability.

Quote:
Okay, so I post a legit post explaining that I understand something in a thread full of contest pissing and even I get flamed. Yea this isn't the place for me. Here's the issues at hand:

1) posting a question to just defend your opinion of an amateur assumption is rude and inconsiderate. Post a real question and try to understand the logic. People on here are apparently very knowledgeable in this area. Listen to their reasoning and at least appreciate their input. No one says you have to agree.

2) making a snotty comeback to said first post is fuel for the tire fire. Now it's all flaming and nothing to be gained anymore.

3) limiter straps can/are used for some purposes like holding your suspension together during max articulation, and bumpstops on full comp rigs keep things from going to the other extreme. Yes I understand how shit is used.

4) I definitely feel welcome in this community now, and look forward to watching my post getting deleted and account banned. Good luck.
This isn't a good attitude to keep. You started a thread that was obviously going to be something that would turn into a debate. In the frorum rules it even says that you should be able to take some ribbing Check out this thread All newb's beware. you dont want to be "that guy"

Last edited by ScaleFreak93; 03-12-2012 at 12:01 PM.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
I assume that was a jab at my pic?
Everyone thinks it's easy till they actually have to climb it.

Out of 10 Class 3 trucks that started, only 3 finished.
I invite you to came out anytime you can make it
It was a jab but in a friendly way. It's hard to express emotion on the computer since I forgot to add a to my post

People need to stop assuming they know what's best for the majority. What works for someone in one place may not work for others in a different place. I learned a lot yesterday driving with other wraiths. It helped me to understand that, yes, despite the naysayers, a decent amount of flex was needed. I also learned that while lowering the wraith to lower the COG does help but it also limits it in that I got high centered a lot where others could simply drive over. Small adjustments helped and now I think I've found the sweet spot, for me, not necessarily for others.

Last edited by dunerinaz; 03-12-2012 at 01:24 PM.
dunerinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #56
MODERATOR™

Quote:
4) I definitely feel welcome in this community now, and look forward to watching my post getting deleted and account banned.
Good. And nah. They jab, you jab, we all jab. It's fun. It's a forum on the stupid internet about stupid toy trucks. I can't speak for myself, but you're all dorks, so relax and have fun with it.

90 degrees is NOT ENOUGH!

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #57
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
It's a forum on the stupid internet about stupid toy trucks.
YOU TAKE THAT BACK EEPEE! You know damn well... they are stupid HOBBY GRADE trucks!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

I spent the last year trying to prove that MORE flex Can be better.
Designed a suspension useing cantilevers tied together front to rear. Theory was, when one tire lifted, the opposite tire would be forced down gaining traction. It actually worked somewhat, but it was too unpredictable in off-camber situations.

I have since switched back to a traditional 4-shock set-up, but, I may persue this again later.

The cracks, crevaces and verticle obstacles were not a problem, but get more than 15* off-camber and forget about it. The chassis would unload and flop over kind of like when your knee gives out. Its all good, then BAM, you're on your face.
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

I think everything that needs to be said has already its all preference and driving style the best way to find what you can drive best and what works for your terrain is determined by lots and lots of practice. you can use other people's setups as a baseline but I'm sure you will drive a bit different and will need slight tweaks

O.t. I dig trying different things A+ on this idea wonder how it would work if you could cross the shocks (front left and right rear)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJoe View Post
I spent the last year trying to prove that MORE flex Can be better.
Designed a suspension useing cantilevers tied together front to rear. Theory was, when one tire lifted, the opposite tire would be forced down gaining traction. It actually worked somewhat, but it was too unpredictable in off-camber situations.

I have since switched back to a traditional 4-shock set-up, but, I may persue this again later.

The cracks, crevaces and verticle obstacles were not a problem, but get more than 15* off-camber and forget about it. The chassis would unload and flop over kind of like when your knee gives out. Its all good, then BAM, you're on your face.
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

[/QUOTE]

O.t. I dig trying different things A+ on this idea wonder how it would work if you could cross the shocks (front left and right rear)[/QUOTE]

I thought about that, but no real way to criss cross efficiently. I tried to use cantilevers with 4 shocks, but again space was a huge issue. I ended up running kicker shocks to the front levers. This helped, but again... A 2.2 Honcho would still pull lines I could'nt.

I hav'nt given up on this, just needed a break. My next try will involve swaybars. I just need to figure out how they will work effectively without limiting articulation
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Too much articulation wtf?!!?!? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wtf losi micro with dig and 4ws wtf richardgarrett56 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 15 07-21-2010 04:47 AM
how much articulation Losi man Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 23 11-15-2009 01:54 PM
Wtf Wtf Wtf Lathe?!?!?! Nova Electronics 2 08-19-2005 08:31 PM