Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: VP/STRC steering adaptability?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default VP/STRC steering adaptability?

Hey guys, got a wraith question, I bought a wraith with strc chubs and hubs and it didnt have an steering linkage upgrades. I bought the VP steering draglink (non racing) and steering link and have been having some issues with rubbing the diff cover, now before you get into my business about searching the forum, I did and I found "some" help reguarding the diff cover such as bending and grinding down....not thrilled about either ideas but I really had my hopes set on getting the VP panhard and CMS kit.....my questions are, is there really any other way to make my linkages work with STRC stuff, and I will I run into other fitment issues with the CMS kit from VP, kinda bummed that I will have to get more to make it work, I may sell the STRC stuff just to have the issues go away. Any help appreciated.
kmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: VP/STRC steering adaptability?

What spindles you running! VP is the way to go man nothing compares if you have the cash.
bagged86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have the rubbing issues with VP Tie rod and drag links.....I need to buy VP diff covers I guess because they are slimmer than the stock plastic, I hope!!

I was the one who sanded my stock diff cover...it works but looks crappy.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have had nothing but trouble with my vanquish products. I have the cms, panhard, knuckles, tie rod, and drag link. The panhard came with wrong hardware. the steering arms on the knuckles are too short and cause the rod ends too hit the wheel. Also, there is toe in!!

I am not impressed with their products. The materials and machining are very nice, but fitment is a joke.

I spent close to 130$ and bought all their products so it would just bolt up. What a let down. I definitly would not reccomend their products.
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

yeah, that thread got some answers for me but I was hoping to find someone that had steering hubs and chubs from strc, and fitted the VP steering links and Cms system in. My steering link binds if I angle it like I have cms.....
Old 03-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnyote View Post
I have had nothing but trouble with my vanquish products. I have the cms, panhard, knuckles, tie rod, and drag link. The panhard came with wrong hardware. the steering arms on the knuckles are too short and cause the rod ends too hit the wheel. Also, there is toe in!!

I am not impressed with their products. The materials and machining are very nice, but fitment is a joke.

I spent close to 130$ and bought all their products so it would just bolt up. What a let down. I definitly would not reccomend their products.
I am very impressed with Vp stuff, but Im leery about the fitment. I understand that alot of the fun is with modifying parts and customizing (I dont want to sound whiney about customizing) but I dont have as much time as I used to, and really for the price maybe there should be more clarity on the web site, as far as what fits what, maybe some explaination on the need of other VP parts to complete......maybe Im just missing it....Im a newb crawler.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I'm using the STRC c-hubs and knuckles with the VP tie rod and drag link, but no CMS. I had to go with STRC diff covers to get clearance. I would think the CMS kit would raise the drag link higher and it should clear the diff cover. But that's just a guess at this point.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I looks like the steering knuckles from VP position the ackerman arm higher which would help clear the diff cover.....help alot. Im really thinking about getting some of these and selling my strc.....this might be a resolve for everything.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmas View Post
really for the price maybe there should be more clarity on the web site, as far as what fits what, maybe some explaination on the need of other VP parts to complete
There were no instructions with the products nor on their website. Also, there was nothing that said a new drag link would be required with the panhard. Why not include it then? Just charge ten bucks more for the kit!

I enjoy fabicating stuff, but i hate buying parts that need to be tinkered with. Thats what im paying for, the manufacturers r&d time. Not just machining.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I agree, but they have options, none of the other companies have directions either but, they dont have multiple parts in a single category.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
RCC Addict

when i first built my kit i was running strc knuckles and chubs and steering link and drag link and it was hitting the diff cover i went to r2j ( here on rcc ) custom links with vp knuckles,chubs,cms,panhard and rear lockouts and arb diff covers and i have no issues at all with any kind of rubbing..and by the way the VP stuff is AWESOME never ever had an issues with fitment even on my ax10 which is vp all the way from the chassis up.
ax10tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I have the same setup (strc hubs/knuckles and VP links) and don't have this trouble. I'm using the stock Ackerman plates. Not really sure why you are having trouble with your set up, as it works fine for me. Can you post a pic?
sdtech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtech58 View Post
I have the same setup (strc hubs/knuckles and VP links) and don't have this trouble. I'm using the stock Ackerman plates. Not really sure why you are having trouble with your set up, as it works fine for me. Can you post a pic?
I will post tomorrow, when did you buy your links?
Old 03-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I have STRC Chubs and knuckle on my wraith...also the steering links...I had to change the rod ends to get them to fit right....not a big deal..we modify stuff to get it to fit ...right ??? SO....when I built my Wreckluse with wraith axels...I thought I'd go with the VP steering links, Chubs and knuckles....SO DISSAPOINTED...links hit the diff cover, had to sand them down to get them to fit (diff cover)...pretty dissapointed in VP lately...thought they had fixed this issue when people had complained about it some time ago. Now, I've complained about VP stuff in the past...the confusion in ordering parts on their web site....and took some heat from that...but if this shit doesn't fit properly ....why sell it. Chubs and knuckles fit great....steering links SUCK....and it takes an act of Congress to return anything to them...not a happy VP customer
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I made my own steering links with 8/32 all thread and 1/4" brake tube and Revo rod ends. Bend as needed to clear the diff, I can throw my steering lock to lock with no touching of the diff. And you can set your own toe in and out by adjusting the rod length.
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

All bad customer experiences could be remedied by great service.

This is not the case with vanquish. I called to ask for my missing hardware and paid for a drag link that was needed but not included. No apologies. I was charged shipping, and when I got my steering links, STILL NO PANHARD HARDWARE!!

Then when I bolted up the links to the vanquish knuckles, they rubbed on the wheels. It's like a bad joke. Not funny.

I would be apologetic and embarrassed if I was an owner/rep for vanquish.... How can u put out a product like that? I think people just assume vanquish is cool because it's expensive.

I feel disillusioned....

(btw: materials and machining are great. What a waste if nothing fits!)
Old 03-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnyote View Post
All bad customer experiences could be remedied by great service.

This is not the case with vanquish. I called to ask for my missing hardware and paid for a drag link that was needed but not included. No apologies. I was charged shipping, and when I got my steering links, STILL NO PANHARD HARDWARE!!

Then when I bolted up the links to the vanquish knuckles, they rubbed on the wheels. It's like a bad joke. Not funny.

I would be apologetic and embarrassed if I was an owner/rep for vanquish.... How can u put out a product like that? I think people just assume vanquish is cool because it's expensive.

I feel disillusioned....

(btw: materials and machining are great. What a waste if nothing fits!)
I'm with you Dan...really tired of spending big bucks for crappy hardware and service
Old 03-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane View Post
I made my own steering links with 8/32 all thread and 1/4" brake tube and Revo rod ends. Bend as needed to clear the diff, I can throw my steering lock to lock with no touching of the diff. And you can set your own toe in and out by adjusting the rod length.
I'm a big supporter of DIY..But I've tried to bend bending brake tube and aluminum sleeve ...with not much success...hard to keep it clean and not bind or crimp...any hints ???
Old 03-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane View Post
X2

Postclanker, what kind of bender did you try it with? I made mine useing a cheepo Harbor Freight bender and it was pretty painless.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

The majority of dudes probably don't want to spend the time to fab links, even though we respect that mentality.

That's why we rely on vendor support. Its hard enough to find time to build and actually crawl, let alone fab.

VP/STRC steering adaptability? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
strc steering links pedlhed Newbie General 2 12-31-2011 01:54 AM
Steering knuckles, VP or STRC? NCT_Guy Axial Wraith 22 12-02-2011 09:37 PM
strc HD steering link set 16hp Axial Wraith 3 11-26-2011 08:57 PM
STRC front aluminum steering knuckles Stinky One Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 01-30-2010 12:02 AM