Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Front driveline stuttering at full clock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #1

Default Front driveline stuttering at full clock

Hey guys,
I've searched and found no answers.... so my dilema is I just finished building my wraith kit, and when I full clock my front steering and give it a little throttle, the front tires seem to "stutter" while rotating. It doesn't seem to stutter when at full throttle, just at slow speeds. The tires don't seem to be rubbing on anything, so I'm thinking it may be the universal axles binding. Maybe I need to turn my steering EPAs down (they're at 100% currently). I turned them down to 50% and my issue of the stuttering went away, but I lose at lot of steering angle.

Has anyone else had this problem?
snowboarder_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Front driveline stuttering at full clock

That is just the part you get with 4 wheel drive. For instance.... I lock my Jeep in 4wheel and turn. My Jeep will jerk and act the same way. My wraith will do the same thing. Its due to 4wheel drive + Locker. It's going to happen.
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Powered by Awesome

its the dog bones, get universals and that will calm her down quite a bit.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Also check the screws in the chubs on the axle. Mine work loose and give this problem. I have replaced the stock screws with something more solid to try and secure it.

If you lift the truck and slowly accelerate you will be able to see the hubs twitch.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I have the axial universals already because they come standard in the kit version. My screws on the hubs are not loose because I just finished building my kit last week.
I suppose this stuttering or twitching is common with 4x4 locked diff rcs, just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one experiencing it.
snowboarder_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

There is a mild interferance issue in the U-joints if you steer until the knuckle arms contact the axle. Somewhere on this site is pics of where to clearance them so they run smooth. Mine are slowly self clearancing. I can tell by the shiny locations on the axle where there has been contact.

If I run mine at WOT in the air with a 35T and crank lock-lock it will chatter pretty good.

But no matter what, a bit of "crow's bind" is going to occur with U-jointed shafts and sharp steering angles.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yes very common! My Wraith does the funky jerking at full wheel lock. I remember my brothers 1:1 Jeep TJ doing this when full lock and moving. Just have to be careful of full steering position.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Front driveline stuttering at full clock - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor stuttering/ cutting out Armistice Electronics 34 01-15-2012 05:06 PM
full size servo with lipo on front axle fa1rch1ld Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 10 07-18-2009 10:45 PM
5 link front end in full chassis scaler 1tuff40 General Scale Talk 7 01-08-2009 06:38 AM
Front wheels Binding at Full turn ripper7777777 General Crawlers 6 09-22-2005 01:31 PM