Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Pro4 and battery question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Pro4 and battery question

I put my BRXL and HH 35 turn in my SCX10. That leaves my Wraith without a power plant. I'm thinking about getting the MMP and Pro4 combo. Still thinking about that since I don't need that much power, but want more wheel speed than the 35t had. I'm also considering the 13.5t and the 16t crawlmaster, but HH is out of stock of BRXL's until mid august. I just hope that it crawls as good as the 35t did since I use my Wraith for crawling. I already have RR tranny, axial universals, and MIP driveshafts so I'm off to a good start. I'm pretty sure I'll have to upgrade the lockers next.

I've read that the Pro4 is demanding on batteries. I run Turnigy 3s 2200mAh 40c batteries, will these be up to the task?

Last edited by AR Fabrication; 08-01-2012 at 01:09 AM.
AR Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
20K Club

Default Re: Pro4 and battery question

I run a similar battery and haven't noticed any negative side effects. They have sustained punch and don't seem to go flat on me. They usually last me around a half hour unless I am in full retard mode, then I get 15-20 mins.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I run a similar battery and haven't noticed any negative side effects. They have sustained punch and don't seem to go flat on me. They usually last me around a half hour unless I am in full retard mode, then I get 15-20 mins.
Only 30 minutes huh? I run these batteries in my SCX10 and they last about 2 hours I couldn't believe it. I'm starting to reconsider the pro4 and might get a HH 16t instead. Just wish he would get those dang ESC's in stock
Old 08-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Looking for new Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Fabrication View Post
Just wish he would get those dang ESC's in stock

I got an email the other day saying they would be in stock in about a month in mid August.
yoda@4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

While I dont run a 2200mah - I do run Gens Ace 2600 25c with the Pro4/MMP combo.

I get 1 1/2 hours of trail and crawling. Works perfectly.

This combo is a beast. I have ripped up and replaced - all the gears in the transmission with Robinson gears, rear diff locker with a HR solid locked diff (works great), reinforced driveshafts ripped in half - replaced with MIPs (so far so good) and converted to 32P using Duratrax 56T spur (Perfect drop in fit).

It is a blast though !! I would think you would get 1 hour out of that battery.
bbking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Those ESC's are readily available in amain hobbies
Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabust View Post
Those ESC's are readily available in amain hobbies
Oh wow you're right, I checked them a few days ago and they were still out of stock. Now I really need to decide which system to get, I'm so torn!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking9 View Post
While I dont run a 2200mah - I do run Gens Ace 2600 25c with the Pro4/MMP combo.

I get 1 1/2 hours of trail and crawling. Works perfectly.

This combo is a beast. I have ripped up and replaced - all the gears in the transmission with Robinson gears, rear diff locker with a HR solid locked diff (works great), reinforced driveshafts ripped in half - replaced with MIPs (so far so good) and converted to 32P using Duratrax 56T spur (Perfect drop in fit).

It is a blast though !! I would think you would get 1 hour out of that battery.
If I am "trail running" then yes I can get longer then 30 mins. But I have a very hard time not doing constant hill climbs, jumps and high speed runs when I have that much go-juice sitting under my interior
Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Oh wow you're right, I checked them a few days ago and they were still out of stock. Now I really need to decide which system to get, I'm so torn!!!
If your budget allows it i'll go with the 3300 Pro4/MMP combo

Better to have too much than too little
Old 08-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I'm more crawler than go fast with the Wraith. I know the pro4 is supposed to have both great low and high end, I just think it might be overkill for me. Crap this is going to bug me all day!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Get it. You will not be dissapointed, it crawls awesome!
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I have the Tekin Redline 13.5 brushless and with about 7:1 reduction in spur/pinion it is great at crawling, maybe that's the setup for you
Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
20K Club

Quote:
I'm more crawler than go fast with the Wraith. I know the pro4 is supposed to have both great low and high end, I just think it might be overkill for me. Crap this is going to bug me all day!
Honestly doesn't sound like its for you. You need to build a rig in prep for a Pro4. Low ride height, proper suspension (low travel and or sway bars), BEEF drivetrain, etc. I remember your rig, I think it would twist it into a pretzel with your high travel suspension setup. I would stay brushed if you want to mostly crawl.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I ran the Crawlmaster Pro 13t in my Wraith on 3s with a BR-XL. Honestly, the wheelspeed was okay, but only just. It did crawl pretty well, as I recall. However, it ran VERY hot. I blame the lack of airflow under the Wraith interior, but it could've been other factors. However, the driveline was very free so there was no binding to blame.

If I were doing it over, I'd go Pro4 3300 on 3s and would likely power it with a Tekin RS Pro. I ran a brushless setup with a Novak motor and Castle MMP and it never worked properly and it soiled my opinion of mixing manufacturers when it comes to brushless combos. Maybe it was just my combo, but I'd go all Tekin if it were my money.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Honestly doesn't sound like its for you. You need to build a rig in prep for a Pro4. Low ride height, proper suspension (low travel and or sway bars), BEEF drivetrain, etc. I remember your rig, I think it would twist it into a pretzel with your high travel suspension setup. I would stay brushed if you want to mostly crawl.
I guess I missed this, but if you're going to mostly just crawl and don't need mega wheelspeed, maybe run a Torquemaster 25t on 4s? A local club member has that combo (powered by a BR-XL) in a heavy rig and I was *very* impressed with it's low speed resolution and it had great wheelspeed, too.

But as Harley said, if you want to utilize a Pro4's potential, it'll take quite a bit of preparation.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks for this post, I didn't realize I had to do more than just beef up the drivetrain, but rather rebuild the Wraith setup to make good use of the pro4. I'll shoot HH a PM and get his suggestion for a brushed motor. BTW where have you seen my Wraith?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
RCC Addict

If you don't clown drive your rig you can run the 3300 Pro4 on 2S pretty reliably. I have had mine in for a few months now, 100% stock Wraith drivetrain, haven't broken a single thing. I'm sure 3S will tear things up easier. I set my slipper so I didn't destroy anything and I drive pretty scale and conservative most of the time. I made it through Axialfest without breaking.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I talked to John and he recommended the 27t Trailmaster. Order has been placed and I will be anxiously waiting for it to come in. I haven't heard of this motor before so it will be nice to try out something new, to me anyway.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #19
20K Club

Quote:
Thanks for this post, I didn't realize I had to do more than just beef up the drivetrain, but rather rebuild the Wraith setup to make good use of the pro4. I'll shoot HH a PM and get his suggestion for a brushed motor. BTW where have you seen my Wraith?
I believe you posted somewhere in respect to more flex, possibly using wheely king shocks in the rear or something. My memory could be wrong, I read a lot of random stuff on here and it's hard to keep names straight.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I believe you posted somewhere in respect to more flex, possibly using wheely king shocks in the rear or something. My memory could be wrong, I read a lot of random stuff on here and it's hard to keep names straight.
Ahh yes, I just looked that thread up. However the truck you are refering to was from NFA Fabrication. Mine is still on the stock plastic crap shocks.

Pro4 and battery question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro4 Efficiency frdtrkguy Axial Wraith 13 06-25-2012 02:34 PM
MMP settings w/pro4 Mike5025 Axial Wraith 17 06-20-2012 10:14 PM
Tekin Pro4 question jvalason Axial Wraith 8 12-19-2011 10:21 PM
battery / battery charger question EricTheRitt Electronics 4 09-07-2011 07:59 AM
Battery question...yes, I read the battery thread...twice... MikeTJ Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 14 06-07-2011 07:44 PM