Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: KillerBlackbirds Wraith build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: KillerBlackbirds Wraith build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase10 View Post
i know you are prolly broke from buying those axles, but the stock wraith shocks look so silly ontop of them! get some sexy shocks to match those sexy axles
I agree 100% with that statement.
I want the King scale shocks from RC4WD.
KillerBlackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Small update.

I've been looking at different things to do with the electronics and where to put everything. I plan on putting the battery, radio unit, BEC, and light controller up front under the hood for better weight distribution when climbing. In the rear Im going to put the Holmes BRXL inside a Dinky RC fuel cell which will be in a Dinky RC drop box I just ordered. This will or should neaten things up and keep functionality.

I got sick of looking at my R35 Ripsaws and decided to order RC4WD Irok Super Swampers. I also ordered King Off Road shocks for a more scale appearance too.

I bored out my stock driveshafts so they will fit on my SuperShafty Bomb Proof trans so that's out of the way now. I ordered titanium screws from RC4WD to mount the transmission since they take a different screw than the stock Wraith transmission and titanium will hold up a little better sliding over rocks.

I'm working with Freqeskinz on a skin idea that I've had for a while too.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #43
Jus
I wanna be Dave

You should at least give the ripsaws an honest try. They are impressive on the rocks.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Heck man that is badass. Since you are going all the way add this chassis to the list. It ia badass.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chass...le-thread.html

Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Ill probably mount the ripsaws on the stock wheels to have a spare set.

Metal cage might come next fall haha.

So I've been searching for a nitrous tank but no one seems to have any. I read where some thought of using a CO2 cartridge so I tried that. I cut one down to closely resemble a 15lb bottle in size (diameter is a little big I think). I used CA glue to stick the bottom back on and used an industrial polishing wheel to remove the words from the tank and to make it shine. 30 minute job. Not sure if I like it or what I could use for a valve and gauges. If I can't find anything laying around I might scrap it since it might look odd.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Ended up making 3 tanks. I wasn't happy how one came out.

Made a gauge out of a door handle and another round part from the optional parts tree.

NAWWWZZZZ.

Painted the top dials.

Last edited by KillerBlackbird; 11-24-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Went Fast and The furious and decided to see if I could use all three bottles. I need to make a better bottle rack, not sure on all 3 bottles yet lol

Last edited by KillerBlackbird; 11-24-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Nice looking rig. Can't wait to get mine.
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Any updates with the KING shocks?
tcm glx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm glx View Post
Any updates with the KING shocks?
Nothing yet. They should be here a week from Monday. I can't wait to see them myself haha.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

A lot of people are warming up the interior firewall and folding it in to seal off the interior. Also look up carter fab on here he is a vendor. He makes a set of aluminum inner fenders that look killer. I ordered 3 sets.
alaskancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:49 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskancrawler View Post
A lot of people are warming up the interior firewall and folding it in to seal off the interior. Also look up carter fab on here he is a vendor. He makes a set of aluminum inner fenders that look killer. I ordered 3 sets.
I tried heat, didn't like how it looked so just cleanly cut the footwell area away. My 3S 5400mah LiPos seem to be on the large side lol. If it looks like hell when it's together ill make a flat panel to stick in there.

I'm going to make another rack for the nitrous bottles, if I end up using them. Just so they lay flatter. They only cost me time to make so no loss.

Here are my front inner fenders I made from a plastic folder, I went off what TINY did for his and extended them further. Ill call them the TINY mod inner fenders hahahaha. I made a set for the rear I might use too.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #53

I like the TINY mod fender liners, saw them on his build as well.

Can't wait to see the rest of your theme now with the 3 NOS bottles.
crit rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #54

Love the build... Want an update.
margaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Here's your update lol.

I've been working third shift so not a ton of free time between sleeping and working, Im off for the next three days so ill make some progress.

Some of what I ordered for parts came in today too. I ordered an Exo Griffin Radiator, Exo light bar (waiting on grilles), LEDs for the light bar, Pro-Line scale optima batteries and inverter set, new set of Wraith body panels (I plan on two skins, Freq-E and Krawler Konceptz), Dinky RC drop box, Dinky RC fuel cell, and a 900 piece stainless screw assortment from RC Screws because I'm always looking for screws I don't have lol.

I got the radiator painted Testors Flat Steel Silver which is more of a bare metal color.

Mounted the radiator on the rear brace behind the seats by drilling two holes in the cage with a drill press. Looks kind of odd with no top support, but it works. I may use the Dinky RC fuel cell to hide electronics - not sure yet. I think I'm going to wait for a more realistic looking and correct size nitrous bottle too. The others are too awkward.

Light bar mounted. I plan on usin the PIAA grilles like the ones on my front bumper.

I also started making a front plate out of aluminum for the electronics. I still have to round the corners smooth and get rid of the burrs from cutting. I'm going to try and put all of the electronics up front with the battery, Ill see how that goes. Ill borrow an idea from one of JasonInAugustas threads (I think it was him) and use adhesive backed Velcro to stick the electronics down with.

Monday my RC4WD Iroks and King 110mm shocks will be here so I can hopefully mount the transmission, mount the cage to the skid plate, and it will resemble a Wraith. I hate messy wiring so that will probably take me a few days to complete too.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Made more progress today.

I finished up my aluminum electronics plate for the front and polished the underside so it looks pretty lol. I used adhesive backed Velcro to stick the equipment down. I managed to get everything up front, its a tight fit but it works. Nothing is waterproof but I don't plan on having this thing see mud or water.

I'm going to see if RadioShack has a small switch for my light bar so I can turn those on and off as needed.

Mounted my Holmes Tourque Master Pro on the Super Shafty Bomb Proof transmission and mounted that to the skid plate with stainless screws until my titanium ones get here from RC4WD.

And just to check if everything works and nothing binds, I mounted the cage to the skid plate and put the wheels on. I have to slightly adjust the angle of my panhard mount on my axle, but other than that, so far so good. Shocks will have to be swapped out for the 110mm King shocks and tires swapped too, but it gives me an idea.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:37 AM   #57
Rock Crawler

Which hubs did you go with on your omf bead locks?
alaskancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskancrawler View Post
Which hubs did you go with on your omf bead locks?
I went with the .475's. It seems to be a good width, I hope the Iroks don't rub on the links, but I should be ok.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

UPS showed up today with my RC4WD goodies.

2.2 Irok Super Swamper tires in X2SS compound and the scale King Off-Road Shocks. Tires are super sticky and should do quite well. Im surprised how soft the King shocks are, I thought they would be very stiff. I think they'll work out well. I wish they had a locking collar like 1:1 coilovers do to keep the upper spring perch from spinning and throwing the set ride height off but it will probably be ok.

I've been using my iPhone to take photos of the build up because I am too lazy to get my DSLR out lol. One of my other "hobbies" is photography. So here are a few of the tires and shocks with slightly better image quality:

Axial Wraith by -KillerBlackbird-, on Flickr

Old 12-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Double post, sorry.

Last edited by KillerBlackbird; 12-03-2012 at 03:29 PM.

KillerBlackbirds Wraith build... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith build #2 SwampDawg Axial Wraith 3 10-14-2012 05:49 PM
My Wraith Build acesal Axial Wraith 29 05-02-2012 09:59 PM
UK Wraith Build o0wiz0o Axial Wraith 6 04-24-2012 12:08 PM
My First build the wraith redneckrampage Axial Wraith 5 04-18-2012 09:44 PM
Wraith build pwrwgn2000 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 10-17-2011 07:27 AM