Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Rear Steer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Rear Steer?

Sold my Losi with rear steer and picked up a Wraith. After the buddy i sold it to brought it over today just proved how much i miss rear steer. I was looking at just doing the same RC Punk conversion that i did on my losi but ran across the TOPCAD kit. My question is, Is this kit all you would need for rear steer? It says it has a Y connector to tie in with the front servo. So im assuming that is just doesnt have a selector switch to be able to turn the rear steer off and just go front steer or cab crawl like the Punk computer allows. Sorry for the newbie question but still kinda in the learning curve of things.

Axial Wraith 4WDS Conversion Set Red TopCad 23020

Here is a pic of wraith ive got now.
51JeepWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Rear Steer?

IMO you will need a 3 channel radio
BentMetaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Well after reading it a couple times I think I answered my own question. That kit might be the way to go to just get the c's, knuckles and axle shafts for now then upgrade the axle shafts when needed. I think I'm just gonna stick with the punk setup since I know it works.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #4

Where do they sell this "rear steer kit"? Cause I want it!
Robchinchilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

asiatees.com sells them i was thinkin bout gettin two of them myself
tdevilman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Seems like a nice kit with the CVD's included. I just bought individual parts for my setup which I haven't installed yet.
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I would strongly recommend adding a bec for each servo or get the big 20 amp castle bec. I run rearsteer and i have a bec hardwired in to each servo and the rearsteer is controlled separately on the 3rd channel. It works very well but the 7955 servos im running are struggling at times even at 7volts so i might have to upgrade to 7980s, the pitbulls really add strain to the steering.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadace View Post
Seems like a nice kit with the CVD's included. I just bought individual parts for my setup which I haven't installed yet.

Sorry for the newb question but what does CVD stand for?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Well i broke my knuckles and stripped my chubs today so i went ahead and ordered that 4ws kit. it was cheaper to get the kit than it was to get the knuckles and chubs separately. so i see how well they work once i have them here and install them.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

i would get a hacked flysky to control the rear steer. being able to select front, rear, or all 4 steering with normal and crab modes is pretty damn cool. had it set up on a losi with dig at one time.
dieselmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmudder View Post
i would get a hacked flysky to control the rear steer. being able to select front, rear, or all 4 steering with normal and crab modes is pretty damn cool. had it set up on a losi with dig at one time.

I had a rc punk computer on my losi. I just ordered this kit since I broke my knuckles.

Does that fly sky kit allow you to just turn the rear and not the front?
Old 02-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

The Futaba 4PL is a pretty sweet radio setup with 4ws already programmed in on the third channel. It gives you the option of front/rear/normal 4ws/and crab steer at the press of a button. Plus a slide switch 4th ch for my 2spd trans
Smithysride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51JeepWillys View Post
Sorry for the newb question but what does CVD stand for?
Constant Velocity Drive joint, as opposed to a Universal joint or Dogbone/Drivecup arrangement.
BikingViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51JeepWillys View Post
I had a rc punk computer on my losi. I just ordered this kit since I broke my knuckles.

Does that fly sky kit allow you to just turn the rear and not the front?
yes, you can select front only, all 4, rear only. and toggle between crab (front and rear pointing the same direction, i.e going sideways) and no crab. (front and rear oppose, really tight turns). plus its proportional, meaning not just a full lock one direction or the other. and all at a fraction of the cost of the futaba. plus can be programmed for up to 10 seperate models.
dieselmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithysride View Post
The Futaba 4PL is a pretty sweet radio setup with 4ws already programmed in on the third channel. It gives you the option of front/rear/normal 4ws/and crab steer at the press of a button. Plus a slide switch 4th ch for my 2spd trans

That's a nice radio. So do you just plug in the rear servo to one of the channels on the receiver and your good? So you wouldn't need something like the rc punk computer if you have this radio?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

yeah, front servo into ch1, rear servo into ch3, esc is ch2 as before. there is a single push button that can be programmed for 3rd ch and 4ws on the futaba and each push of the button will put you into a different steering configuration. start out in 2ws, come to a tight turn, hit the 3rd channel button one time and your now in reverse phase(typical) 4ws. there is also an option of whether you want to be able to use all 4 steering configurations(front/reverse{typical}/same{crab}/or rear), or three (front/reverse/same) or just two(front/reverse). go to futabas web site and check out the manual for it. its 100+ pages but you dont need to read all of it. 4ws starts on page 74 and is pretty easy to set up
Smithysride is offline   Reply With Quote

Rear Steer? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear steer on rear center VP axle irokcrawl Axial Wraith 5 09-23-2012 03:44 PM
rear steer vs rear dig ax10newguy Newbie General 14 06-22-2010 02:33 PM
Rear steer lockout so you can still mount stuff on rear axle bill400ex Duratrax Cliff Climber 9 02-16-2010 07:49 PM
rear steer help broncoholic Electronics 5 04-06-2007 08:05 AM