Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Clicking noise from Transmission area

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Clicking noise from Transmission area

Pinion gear was loose on my RTR. 15 minutes of play out of the box and all I hear is grinding.

So I take the spur gear cover off and the pinion gear was loose moving up and down the motor shaft. Spur gear is fine.

So I fix the pinion gear and set with the screw and now my transmission (area) is making a loud clicking noise.

Could it be the gears?

Maybe the motor already gave out?

What about the 4WD System? This is my first 4WD RC so I have no idea what goes bad. Should I buy a new dig shaft or whatever it's called? Can that get stripped?

I'm at a loss and quite frankly pissed.

Thank you for your time and effort.
NewbieRC361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Clicking noise from Transmission area

Welcome to the hobby. Check all the teeth on the spur gear and make sure theres nothing in any of them. If its clean then show that trans whats up and tear into it and explore.
rc crawler boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Loud clicking noise, sounds like it could be your gear mesh is too tight. If your truck has slowed down a little and motor heats up more than normal it could be. Maybe check and see if your pinion gear is too far back and the spur gear is hitting the rounded part of the pinion gear. Hope this helps.

Last edited by KRAWL; 08-01-2013 at 07:33 AM.
KRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

My rtr wraith wasnt 20minutes old when the pinion become loose on the motor shaft, it had misalighned the gear mesh with the spur gear an chipped a tooth on it ,it has a clicking sound in it now,that could of happened to yours also.oh yea welcome to the madness,lol.
crawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If your pinion was sliding forward the spur probably isn't to healthy.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I agree with nigels world, check that spur gear again, it dont take much to make a clicking sound, couple of bucs to replace it.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys! It does have some little notches from the pinion going up and down so I guess that's the culprit. The motor meshed with the spur gear seems fine not to tight and motor not hot.

I will be following Harley's build to a certain extent but I'm going to change it up on mine so I will be creating a build thread.

Yea I'm not new to RC but I'm only a day old in Crawling and let me tell you, this Wraith is crazy sick!

I already have $150, plus it be adding $50 every week like Harley's but I'm thinking metal gear set for transmission, and the vanquish metal links set that has them all. I will also be relocating the battery and lowering the truck a half inch by flipping lower shock mount.

I will most definitely keep yall updated!

P.S. I know it's always a good thing to have a breaking point in a transmission like a plastic spur gear, but in this case with the torque applied should I go ahead and order the metal spur gear and make my transmission completely metal internally?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Also completely off topic, I'm debating on just painting my panels black or where does everyone order there black panels??
Old 08-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I went with hot racing all metal gears inside an gen3 robinson metal spur gear with slipper, yea it makes some noise but it aint gonna break, also went with a stock clear body an painted my own panels.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

So it'll be fine running it with the clicking then while they stuff comes in? And Ok I'll worry about appearance after performance.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Also the clicking is louder in reverse. I haven't broken in my motor yet so I'll do that and remesh the spur gear and pinion gear.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I have been having the same issue, first time around it was the stock 20T went south on my 3rd pack but first one in the trails. I am now using a 27T geared 16/84 and the clicking/ratcheting is lot less now. I also noticed the ratcheting was louder with the spur gear cover on, try dropping the center by removing the 8screws take the spur gear cover off and try running the rig supported with the wheels in the air and if it's still making the noise. Then pull the motor from the mounting plate and see if the noise is still there. then youll be finding your clicking by eliminating sections. good luck man
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Yea I haven't gotten the chance to eliminate the motor but I plan on unmounting it and giving it power and seeing what happens.

Either way this will convert all my transmission internals to metal so I'll be ordering this from Integy:

Billet Machined Heavy-Duty Gear Set for Axial 1/10 Wraith for R/C or RC - Team Integy

Good choice?
Old 08-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieRC361 View Post
Yea I haven't gotten the chance to eliminate the motor but I plan on unmounting it and giving it power and seeing what happens.

Either way this will convert all my transmission internals to metal so I'll be ordering this from Integy:

Billet Machined Heavy-Duty Gear Set for Axial 1/10 Wraith for R/C or RC - Team Integy

Good choice?
In my experiance stuf from integy isn't all that good, it may be nice on the wallet but that's only. The first time you buy from them after it breaks you will be upset for now spending 2 times the money to fix it right,!

I'd say check out supershafty.com for parts to make your trans stronger
JDCrawler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I understand, I've read alot on/about Supershafty but dang they are expensive which I'm sure it's great quality. But I just shelled out $435 for my RTR from my LHS yesterday so to get it up and running for $75(From TH bought that gear set and RR Gen3 Metal Spur) including shipping is fine with me. Besides all my routes and trails around here are nice and fun but I'm not looking for a bulletproof trans simply because I'm not looking for a speed demon as I already have an SCT for that. And honestly other than the servo the electronics will stay stock for a long while. Maybe the motor that Harley used may be purchased but after my order gets in I'll most likely buy all new links or go for new beadlocks and nice tires.

As I said before I have(had) $150 to blow on immediate upgrades, granted I did not think replace this would be the first to go, but hey stuff happens. So I'm down to $75 this week and as Harley is doing I will be adding $50 a week to the build.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I use the Robinson racing transmission idler gear and one piece bottom gear. It's been bullet proof for me. I've had ye cheaper stuff, it's hit or miss. Just buy the robinsons once and be done. I run a tekin t8 1/8 scale motor in my wraith geared 58/19 (32p) and haven't had a problem with the trans. And yeah it sure does sounds like you have a banged up spur gear.
Ryan87zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Yup parts will be here Tuesday or Wednesday at latest. Then I start a build thread because this truck is sick as hell stock now I just wanna unleash my bank and imagination on it!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

The truck will definitely get dirty but I do want it to be a show truck somewhat hence I want all aluminum parts in the future and it will only be crawling no racing so if/when I'll probably go with the Axial 27t motor or something even more torquey.

Clicking noise from Transmission area - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya 3 speed clicking noise in transmission. Erbing Newbie General 6 10-20-2011 09:23 PM
Clicking noise... bur1196 HPI Wheely King 10 05-05-2011 07:23 PM
Clicking noise coming from transmission-Help please promatchrcr Team Losi Comp Crawler 13 01-20-2010 03:35 PM
Awfull clicking noise??? Kamikaze Tamiya TLT Crawlers 20 08-29-2006 04:05 PM