Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New Wraith owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: New Wraith owner

Question about servos

Right now I'm looking at either

Hitech 7950TH
Futaba s9157

Any opinions which way to go? Seems like the hitech is more powerful but isn't waterproof where the futaba is. But the futaba says only use with nicd? No lipo? Thanks for any thoughts guys. Wanna buy one servo that "should" last the life of the rig
Smokinthehippies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Customer service is what sold me! I have four 7950th and some of them have been ran a long time. I had a motor burn up in one and the motor and chip in another. Both times I sent them in and both times they fixed them quickly and sent them back no issues. Wonderful customer service!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
Customer service is what sold me! I have four 7950th and some of them have been ran a long time. I had a motor burn up in one and the motor and chip in another. Both times I sent them in and both times they fixed them quickly and sent them back no issues. Wonderful customer service!
Good to know. Any thoughts on the waterproof concern? Just hit em with grease and plastidip or avoid water at all costs
Old 11-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinthehippies View Post
Good to know. Any thoughts on the waterproof concern? Just hit em with grease and plastidip or avoid water at all costs
You don't need to spend that on servos unless you want to. The solar d772 with a bec set at 8
Volts is stronger than my 5995, and way faster.
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #25
RCC Addict

CorrosionX will waterproof it perfectly. It's cheap and you get enough in one bottle to last a lifetime. You can waterproof everything with it. I caution you on buying cheap servos, lots of people go down this road and end up buying a good hitec or futaba when it's all said and done!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
CorrosionX will waterproof it perfectly. It's cheap and you get enough in one bottle to last a lifetime. You can waterproof everything with it. I caution you on buying cheap servos, lots of people go down this road and end up buying a good hitec or futaba when it's all said and done!
I have a hitec 5955, and will not pay for one again. Yes it is a nice servo, and it has lasted me, but this solar has super thick gears in it, had tons of torque and speed, and has taken more than I've ever thrown at my hitec.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I say your on the right track as far as servos. Either of the two you've chosen will perform admirably in a Wraith.

I broke multiple cheaper servo's before finally getting a Hitec 7980. It wasn't quite a direct fit (it's larger than most), but it was well worth the money for trouble free unstoppable steering.

The better Hitecs are certainly water resistant, meaning occasional splashes and snow runs will be OK, full submersion for extended periods of time will not be.

If you want to play submarine you can make any servo completely waterproof by fill the electronics side with dielectric "tune-up" grease, and the gear side with any decent wheel bearing NLGI #2 grease. I've done this with many Hitec and Savox servos with great success. Will void your warrenty, but playing submarine typically does that anyway...

Make sure you have some 3mmx10mmx.5 machine thread screws to go with the aluminum knuckles/C-hubs as the stock self tappers don't work with aluminum, actually they don't work at all. Make sure your aluminum horn has the same spline count as your servo. Hitec=24 spline, Futaba, Savox, Axial=25 spline.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmedic View Post
You don't need to spend that on servos unless you want to. The solar d772 with a bec set at 8
Volts is stronger than my 5995, and way faster.
Good to know. In searching I've found quite a bit more people saying how the cheaper ones left them high and dry compared to the ones saying it didn't. I'm sure there are bad apples/ some people get lucky.
Fortunately right now this isn't a budget build as much as a do it nice the first time so I'm willing to spring for it up front to not play with it failing.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I say your on the right track as far as servos. Either of the two you've chosen will perform admirably in a Wraith.

I broke multiple cheaper servo's before finally getting a Hitec 7980. It wasn't quite a direct fit (it's larger than most), but it was well worth the money for trouble free unstoppable steering.

The better Hitecs are certainly water resistant, meaning occasional splashes and snow runs will be OK, full submersion for extended periods of time will not be.

If you want to play submarine you can make any servo completely waterproof by fill the electronics side with dielectric "tune-up" grease, and the gear side with any decent wheel bearing NLGI #2 grease. I've done this with many Hitec and Savox servos with great success. Will void your warrenty, but playing submarine typically does that anyway...

Make sure you have some 3mmx10mmx.5 machine thread screws to go with the aluminum knuckles/C-hubs as the stock self tappers don't work with aluminum, actually they don't work at all. Make sure your aluminum horn has the same spline count as your servo. Hitec=24 spline, Futaba, Savox, Axial=25 spline.
Thank you gents. That was pretty much my plan for waterproofing anyway if they weren't factory rated as such.
I think you just made up my mind to go futaba since the servo horn I have coming is a 25t and no sense in changing that again too!

Thanks
Old 11-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Savox is worth looking into. 1230 1268 1283

Even hxt10 from hobby king as well as the albumin servo arms for just a few bucks.

R2j links for those watching the thread to trim the fat a little on this build
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinthehippies View Post
Good to know. In searching I've found quite a bit more people saying how the cheaper ones left them high and dry compared to the ones saying it didn't. I'm sure there are bad apples/ some people get lucky.
Fortunately right now this isn't a budget build as much as a do it nice the first time so I'm willing to spring for it up front to not play with it failing.

Thank you gents. That was pretty much my plan for waterproofing anyway if they weren't factory rated as such.
I think you just made up my mind to go futaba since the servo horn I have coming is a 25t and no sense in changing that again too!

Thanks
The futaba a gears blow up easily. Ask JermeyH. He blows a set in his front and rear servo just about every run.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
Savox is worth looking into. 1230 1268 1283

Even hxt10 from hobby king as well as the albumin servo arms for just a few bucks.

R2j links for those watching the thread to trim the fat a little on this build
Any details on the r2j stuff. Not familiar with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmedic View Post
The futaba a gears blow up easily. Ask JermeyH. He blows a set in his front and rear servo just about every run.
Good to know. For now I ordered both the hitech and futaba. Ill play with both and make my decision from there.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Also got my axial 25t servo horn.
So I installed that
Replaced the white bushing with a bearing and added some grease and silicon to seal it up abit
So back up on the move for the time being.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Here's the r2j info

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chass...inks-sets.html
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #34
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
Thanks for that.

On a side note

Chubs, lockouts, knuckles, universals, driveshafts & tsl's installed.
Also ordered up a set of pitbull beast 2s, some rc4wd steelies, & axial beadlocks. Might go crawl a spillway tomoro after my friends and I finish a Star Wars marathon

Last edited by Smokinthehippies; 12-01-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Old 12-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

a few notes after a little bit of crawling yesterday.

man the stock servo is just underpowered for these rigs. had a lot of times where it just couldnt turn the tires unless i was moving. i'm sure that is because i'm running no foams so they drag pretty good, but still.
my futaba will be here tonight so i'll probably pop that on. already got the hitech, and the servo horn for that gets here this week. so i'll probably switch them out after the next crawl session to see which i like more.

also, pretty sure i grenaded my slipper/trans something or other.

was driving around and got a grinding whirring sound. very clunky driving. than it stopped all propulsion and now all i get is whirring. so i'm going to pull that apart tonight and take a peek. which is fine because i have my new spur & pinion to install while i'm in there.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like you've fallen victum to the three 2mm bolts that hold the output shaft of the transmission together loosening up and backing out. If your lucky all you'll need is to reinstall the bolts with loc tite.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Help!

So I tightened up the trans bolts. Popped on my new spur and pinion.
And put in my futaba servo. Somewhere in the middle there something got jacked because after I reassembled everything. Go to test drive the unit and I'm getting no drive or steer, and the esc or motor is beeping and the esc is flashing orange/green lights.

Wtf. Where did I screw up. Please help.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #39
ion
Quarry Creeper

Have you soldered in a BEC yet?

Dumb question, but I have done this before.....

Are you at LIPO cutoff? I hit the thermal cutoff on my Mamba Max Pro ESC and Lipo Cutoff at the same time, tried everything I had in my backpack in the middle of a comp but had to take a DNF, got back to my pit area pulled everything apart for the night run, put it back together and looked at my buddy who was dumbfounded as well and I said I wonder if I hit LIPO? me and him still laugh about that today. sure as shit, it was perfect.
ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion View Post
Have you soldered in a BEC yet?

Dumb question, but I have done this before.....

Are you at LIPO cutoff? I hit the thermal cutoff on my Mamba Max Pro ESC and Lipo Cutoff at the same time, tried everything I had in my backpack in the middle of a comp but had to take a DNF, got back to my pit area pulled everything apart for the night run, put it back together and looked at my buddy who was dumbfounded as well and I said I wonder if I hit LIPO? me and him still laugh about that today. sure as shit, it was perfect.
nope. tried it with a brand new freshly charged battery and a freshly charged with only 20 minutes run time. and it definitly wasnt heat cutoff as the truck was torn apart for three hours and was just barely put back together so it hadnt been run in a day.

New Wraith owner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soon to be wraith owner.... ProfitOfDoom Axial Wraith 3 05-01-2013 06:54 AM
New wraith owner. puddin Axial Wraith 48 03-23-2013 06:06 PM
Another Wraith owner lowandslow Axial Wraith 6 02-13-2013 06:51 PM
now a axial wraith owner tundrafan01 Axial Wraith 10 11-10-2011 05:46 PM
new wraith owner ld markey Michigan 12 10-31-2011 06:04 PM