Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Harley's Wraith Moonbuggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #21
20K Club

Default Re: Harley's Wraith Moonbuggy

Looking at shocks today, I think I'm going to go with the RC4WD 110mm Ultimate Scale shocks. I believe I have 2 but I'll likely try and find a full set. Seems like I've seen people sell them pretty cheap in the past so I'm guessing the Wanted section will probably pay off. I'm mainly concerned about the diameter of the body. They are probably as close as it's going to get to what I need.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2014, 04:45 AM   #22

What an interesting build. Will be watching.
pstar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

So Harley, are you doing a voder series on this build as well?
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 AM   #24
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDiff952 View Post
So Harley, are you doing a voder series on this build as well?
Video series you mean?

Yes. First one is in the 2nd post.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Oh boy, those shocks make me cringe. Micro-sized pistions really limit damping, especially on a 2.2 rig, unless you are going to run 2 at each corner. The e-clips that hold the micro pistions on can pop off after repeated droop-out over-extensions. Running limiting straps can help to keep that from happening. They will also need the orings replaced and the shock shaft polished. In short, they do look good. Edit, well on second thought, if this rig is going to be a slower crawler, you might be ok with them.

Last edited by Szczerba; 03-20-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #26
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Oh boy, those shocks make me cringe. Micro-sized pistions really limit damping, especially on a 2.2 rig, unless you are going to run 2 at each corner. The e-clips that hold the micro pistions on can pop off after repeated droop-out over-extensions. Running limiting straps can help to keep that from happening. They will also need the orings replaced and the shock shaft polished. In short, they do look good. Edit, well on second thought, if this rig is going to be a slower crawler, you might be ok with them.
I have owned the shocks before and they are effectively useless I agree. However, as you got to in your last sentence, this is a slower crawler (initially) and the biggest concern is the appearance of replicating the small diameter Fox shocks ran on the real deal.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #27
RCC Addict

To echo what Shane said...
Those shocks truly do suck at actually performing like a shock. On a low speed (scale) tech crawler with a drop of lube in the body they are fine. Anything above 5mph... not so good.

But it sounds like you already know that. They do look awesome, just wished they were machined better. Even my Kings are starting to get suspect...
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Since VP has limiting straps out now, I think those would help from busting the micro pistions if the shock drooped out too hard. Just thinking out loud here. I think the only time I did bust the pistions was from jumping the 8lbs KOH Scrambler around.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #29
20K Club

Quote:
Since VP has limiting straps out now, I think those would help from busting the micro pistions if the shock drooped out too hard. Just thinking out loud here. I think the only time I did bust the pistions was from jumping the 8lbs KOH Scrambler around.
No limiting straps for this one. They aren't on the fullsize.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
No limiting straps for this one. They aren't on the fullsize.
Plus, you want that full droop!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #31
20K Club

I got some more work done tonight, not a ton but at least I was able to mock it up.

The drivetrain is flipped right now, I want the pumpkins on the other side and spur gear to the rear.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #32

Man you whipped that out fast! Looks great. Love the cab
Jcozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #33
20K Club

There's something about the offset cab that makes me love these rigs. This drivetrain is from a different truck but when I get the final axles in the truck and flipped over I hope to get the servo slammed down onto the long side tube. I'd like to get the servo turned around and cut down into the tube if possible.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:38 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Sweet chassis, I like that you're building it to be scale with AR60's they are a much better choice all around than ax/scx axles ever were.

I dremeled a flat in the top of a housing and cut into the pumpkin a bit which lined up the servo ear with the hole for the truss screw. The other end of the servo had a piece of delrin I drilled and ran a screw through a plate that mounted the upper links. Here's a craptastic pic of my hackery of days gone by.

WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Any updates with this rig Harley?
Tgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I have owned the shocks before and they are effectively useless I agree. However, as you got to in your last sentence, this is a slower crawler (initially) and the biggest concern is the appearance of replicating the small diameter Fox shocks ran on the real deal.

Pretty sure these shocks are made to run with leaf springs , ( ultimate scale shock ) this is why they very lightly sprung I think ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:48 PM   #37
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgates View Post
Any updates with this rig Harley?
Working on finishing up my G6 truck and the Mega Mud truck before the 12th. I'll get back to it soon!
Old 03-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Hey bud you ever finish doing that cage / chassis for you ps wraith ? Pics?

Old 03-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy View Post
Pretty sure these shocks are made to run with leaf springs , ( ultimate scale shock ) this is why they very lightly sprung I think ..

With this application, a scale Unlimited Comp Crawler, these shocks will do fine. When I ran them in my buggy, I dropped a few drips of 3k diff fluid into them to keep them lubricated.

Remember, slow.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
With this application, a scale Unlimited Comp Crawler, these shocks will do fine. When I ran them in my buggy, I dropped a few drips of 3k diff fluid into them to keep them lubricated.

Remember, slow.

K but they would not work on my honcho ( honcho to heavy , not stock ) and this moon buggy is made out is steel no ? The springs inside of the ultimate scale shocks look like the spring from a pen haha ... I even ordered a spring set rc4wd had and they were just as soft... If ur truck is light these will work I guess... But they would pretty much just sink down to nothing with just weight of my honcho ... My 2cents anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harley's Wraith Moonbuggy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith Harley Axial Wraith 376 12-02-2021 05:07 PM
Harley's Wraith #2 - Built for Vanquish Harley Axial Wraith 66 11-05-2012 06:17 PM
Harley's Wraith Sportsman Harley Axial Wraith 123 01-21-2012 05:35 PM
Harley's Urban Moonbuggy - T1e Harley Axial AX-10 Scorpion 81 11-20-2010 03:22 AM