Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: bilinvic's Wraith Rock Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #321
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: bilinvic's Wraith Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by valheru View Post
Does your LHS stock VP parts or do you need to import from the US like I have to here in Ottawa?
Yes, it does sell some Vanquish parts and I occasionally buy them, but mostly order them from RPP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
you have a much similar set up to my Experiment 626, I can honestly say its my best rig ever! I will never sell this rig lol... I found the trailing arm setup to be phenomenal for my terrain. This thing will crawl over and up just about anything I through at it...I do need to tidy up the wiring some though!

The best tire I have had on this rig is the Irok super swamper with CI DD Foams, no venting.. I have had such good luck with them that I stopped trying different tires after they were put on with the TSS Robby Gordon Wheels..

I havent cleaned her up yet from the last day I had of crawling...

looking forward to more from your beast!
Your DMG Wraith was inspiration for mine allanon1965. I agree with you 100%, the climbs that my DMG T/A Wraith conquers are incredible. I used to have a pair of IROK Swampers, but for some reason I sold them a couple years ago. I might have to try them again; thanxs.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2016, 06:27 PM   #322
I wanna be Dave

Glad to know 626 inspired such a classy rig! I am doing my bomber in similar fashion, but it doesnt quite do as well as 626... I have put my bomber on the back burner for awhile while I was build my 2 scx10 bugs...but now I think its time to go back to the bomber and I will be borrowing a few of your ideas!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #323
Quarry Creeper

Question, did you get a chance to try out the Incision VDI axles?

I am curious to see how they fare compared to the Axial ones. I have an Axial one that is already getting slopping after less than 20 packs and using dry wax mountain bike chain lube on the joint.
valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #324
I wanna be Dave

Although I did order the Incision VDI axles, I repaired the Vanquish axle with new VP stub axle. The Incision axles went into my spare parts trail kit, but didn't last long as spares because one of my Bomber Vanquish VVD axles gave it up. So the VDI axles are now in the solid axle (F&R) Bomber which I have not used yet. I'm not a big fan of the Axial universal axles, I also experienced too much slop in them in no time at all.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #325
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the reply, please keep us posted.

I am curious to have a comparison between the VP VVD and the Incision VDI axles for durability coming from the same owner, less variables.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:11 AM   #326
Quarry Creeper

I might try out the "new and improved" RC4WD Extreme Duty XVD axles since my LHS can get those cheaper than me ordering Incisions VDI or VP VVD axles thru RPP.

From what I've read here, they seem pretty tough, of good design and offer the same turning radius as the Axial universals, 50 degrees.

Last edited by valheru; 06-03-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:25 AM   #327
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I might try out the "new and improved" RC4WD Extreme Duty XVD axles since my LHS can get those cheaper than me ordering Incisions VDI or VP VVD axles thru RPP.

From what I've read here, they seem pretty tough, of good design and offer the same turning radius as the Axial universals, 50 degrees.

If you're running big power or tall tires, I would probably just stay with the Vanquish or Axial axles. I snapped my RC4WD XVD's on my Bomber with a Puller Pro 3500 on 3S and Super Swamper XL tires pretty quickly. I have cut down RC4WD XVD's on my skeleton, and they have held up great. But that is a narrowrr axle with small 1.9 tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #328
Quarry Creeper

Not to hijack this thread.

But I run a brushed Titan 550 21T on 2S 13/87 with either Proline TSL XL or Rover white dots.

Nothing near the power/torque you have with a Puller Pro 3500 on 3S, at least I hope...

Last edited by valheru; 06-13-2016 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:11 AM   #329
Quarry Creeper

Sir (Bill, I think),

I just re-read your build thread from the start (again ), your Wraith is still the nicest one I've seen so far, and light years ahead of my own build (now in a thread), but I do hope one day to steal/replicate the basic platform/geometry from you.

One thing I did noticed in the photos while re-reading your build; from the time you did the DMG mod and bought the Proline Pro-Spec shocks that were supposed to be the best of the best, you've since switched back and forth between your collection of shocks for the rear suspension, but the front always remained the Proline Power Strokes after you removed the Pro-Spec.

Why is that? Or is it something like the tire addiction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post

Left to right:

ProLine Powerstroke SC Rear Shock
ProLine ProSpec SC Rear Shock
RC4WD King SC Rear Shock
Gmade XD Piggyback 103

Which brings me to the following questions (sorry ):

1 - If you had to buy/keep only one set of shocks for your Wraith out of your collection, which ones would it be?

2 - Have you ever ran the Traxxas XXL big bores? If yes, how do they compare to the other ones?

3 - What's your current spring setup?

Again, love your build, and thank you for your time/patience with my pestering.

Denis (a.k.a Valheru)
Old 06-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #330
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
One thing I did noticed in the photos while re-reading your build; from the time you did the DMG mod and bought the Proline Pro-Spec shocks that were supposed to be the best of the best, you've since switched back and forth between your collection of shocks for the rear suspension, but the front always remained the Proline Power Strokes after you removed the Pro-Spec.

Why is that? Or is it something like the tire addiction...

Which brings me to the following questions (sorry ):

1 - If you had to buy/keep only one set of shocks for your Wraith out of your collection, which ones would it be?

2 - Have you ever ran the Traxxas XXL big bores? If yes, how do they compare to the other ones?

3 - What's your current spring setup?
Thanxs, I appreciate the compliment.

The shock obsession isn't as bad as the tire obsession, but it's close!!! lol There's no real reason for changing the shocks other than trying to find the best combination for the terrain and purpose of this build. I can't stop tinkering and tuning!!! I want super stiff rear shocks that still allow articulation because I cannot mount a sway bar with this chassis. At this point the GTR shocks with the blue springs are accomplishing this. The P-L Powerstroke shocks up front are awesome shocks and at this point I have no intentions of changing them.

The P-L Powerstroke shocks are the ones I would keep if I could only keep one set with the assorted spring kit too.

I've never tried the TRX big bores.

Current set-up is Traxxas GTR SC rear shocks with the TRX blue stripe GTR springs. Fronts are P-L PS SC shocks w/ P-L Pro-Spec yellow stripe springs. I can't recall what shock fluid viscosity I am using though.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #331
Quarry Creeper

Thank you that helps, your GTR and the XXL I'm refering too might be the same ones you are talking about or variations of shocks for the E-Maxx, it's the 7462X or the 4962.

Only difference between the two is the "X" ones have a threaded body to adjust the pre-load, where as the other ones use clip-on shims.

They make 3-4 version of the same same shock (XXL) that use the same spring, piston, shaft, etc, the main differences are the material the the body and caps are made of and the options.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #332
I wanna be Dave

They are the GTR rear shocks that come with a Slash LCG 4x4 Ultimate package.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:02 PM   #333
I wanna be Dave

The DMG Wraith received some more new bling today!

Gear Head RC 2.2 BTR TT Beadlock Wheels
Gear Head RC 2.2 Aluminum Beadlock Rings - Anodized Blue
Pit Bull 2.2 Rock Beast II Scale Crawler Komp Kompound
Crawler Innovations Double Deuce 5.5” Comp Cut Inner / Firm Outer Foams
Incision 1/4 inch Stainless Steel Wraith Lower Links (Front)

These wheels are absolutely "metal art"; they look and feel incredible. They are 5.6 oz (159 g) each vs. 4.4 oz (125 g) for the Gear Head RC 2.2 Five Star EZ-Loc Beadlock Wheels that I was using. I decided to remove the RC Bros knuckle weights so that I could use the stock BTR hubs because I felt the stance was too wide using the Gear Head Plus .375 hubs. The additional weight of the wheels and the Incision links easily offsets the difference. (I already had the 1/4 inch SS upper front links as well as the 1/4 inch SS tie-rod and drag-links)

The CI 5.5 foams feel perfect in the RB II tires. It's funny how I originally started with these same tires way back when I first bought the Wraith and now another new set is back on.

Here's the pics:

WraithDMG_9933

WraithDMG_9934

WraithDMG_9935

WraithDMG_9930

WraithDMG_9932

WraithDMG_9936

WraithDMG_9931

Last edited by bilinvic; 07-04-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:19 PM   #334
I wanna be Dave

After a little bit of testing, I decided to go back with the RC Bros knuckle weights because they make a huge difference in performance. The same crawling lines driven back to back without and then with the knuckle weights was a matter of not making the lines vs. conquering it!

I had to replace the passenger side rear Vanquish Currie centered axle, I found it was bent during some bench-top testing.

Also new is limit straps, I love how they are 100% functional and look great. My Wraith is bordering on 10 pounds and the straps will save the shocks from taking all that extra stress.

WraithDMG_9939

WraithDMG_9938

WraithDMG_9937

Last edited by bilinvic; 07-04-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #335
I wanna be Dave

Bil, have you checked out DLux's new full replacement brass knuckle? I just bought a set of these for my FNG Wraith build and they are really something. Bigger bearings, bearings on the kingpin screws instead of bushings, more weight with much more clearance inside the wheel. Erick just recently updated them with more options for materials. I think you'd really like them. I swapped my RCBros setup to another rig because they are still nice but the DLux brass knuckles are really cool and have a better design.
Attached Images

SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #336
I wanna be Dave

The DLux system looks really great. I am thinking about them, but I know Vanquish has something coming out real soon and I am waiting to see how their knuckle weights compare. Thanxs for mentioning this Brian.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #337
I wanna be Dave

Really? I didn't know VP had knuckle weights in the works, interested to see that.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #338
I wanna be Dave

From Vanquish FB page:
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #339
Rock Crawler

These are also conning out. I just saw on fb

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #340
I wanna be Dave

Those are SCX10 knuckles...great idea. Hopefully they will do them in AR60 knuckles too.

bilinvic's Wraith Rock Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Crawler - Wraith x R1 G-Made x Rock Force matoso Newbie General 10 01-07-2013 04:00 PM
Rocka´s Wraith Rock Crawler Rockatanski Axial Wraith 14 06-10-2012 01:39 PM