Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Getting a Wraith up to Yeti-speed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Getting a Wraith up to Yeti-speed

I've asked kind of the same question in the Yeti section (but those guys are somewhat biased ;) )
My buddy and I both are saving up to buy a rc car. My buddy decided on a Yeti, I'm more drawn to the Wraith.
Question is will a Wraith (kit with a sens. brushless ) keep up with a stock Yeti? No need to overtake but in the same ballpark (+/- 23mph) would be nice.

System I think of: xerun 3400kv. HOBBYWING TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.

Next question is: will it stay in one piece? Or am I likely to shatter both drive train and shafts at the first run.

If it turns out that I have to buy a Yeti's worth on upgrades I might reconsider.... (but I want a Wraith... please tell me I can ;) )
wouterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Getting a Wraith up to Yeti-speed

In a straight line yes you could probably get the wraith up to Yeti speed, however on the first corner the wraith will likely tip. The yeti has Independent front suspension and is lower to the ground which allows it to corner much harder. However in the rocks the Wraith would be vastly superior.
CelicaST_CALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

By 'Yeti-like speed' I mean we should be able to bash together. Whithout Yeti racen circles around the Wraith. The Wraith will never win on a track. I know and I'm ok wit that.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Both come rtr with the same drive train, IMO..
Plastic drive shafts, plastic steering, plastic, plastic, plastic...
Neither are "cheap" to bash.. Lol..

But yes, I can't wait to do some comparisons between the yeti and my Sexo!

Currently running a HH Trailmaster BL on 4s for a 20mph rig, that handles!

Getting ready to drop a Pro4 HD 3500kv in it..
My yeti gets here Monday, with a Pro4 HD 3000kv in it.. Geared Way higher, from my understanding..

But it takes more then a rtr drive train to take it..
Attached Images

winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yeti comes brushless, with 32p spur/pinion and WB8 shaft. All more rugged the the Wraith. Don't know 'bout rest of the gears.
Any ideas on impact resistance of the front suspension of the two? which handles the biggest bang? (Wraith kit= alu lower links)
Old 11-29-2014, 11:40 PM   #6
20K Club

The gearing of the Yeti is much taller than a Wraith, same motor in each, a Yeti will be considerably faster.

In short, a Wraith will not easily keep up with a stock Yeti in light terrain. Get into rougher and more technical and you'll have the advantage.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:12 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I have used the velineon system geared 54-20 ish on 3s lipo. The running gear hated it though. For me it wasn't really worth the effort it took to keep the thing running for more than a battery pack. These days if I wanna go fast and tear up terrain I just grab my slash.
yotapower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
.... In short, a Wraith will not easily keep up with a stock Yeti in light terrain. Get info rougher and more technical and you'll have the advantage.
If the Wraith tops at 20mph (on 3s, sens.brushless) I'm happy. Because of the trail benefits over the Yeti.
If this set starts eating trannies for lunch I'll be less happy. A twisted/snapped driveshaft I can live with.

Grt
wouter
Old 11-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouterb View Post
If the Wraith tops at 20mph (on 3s, sens.brushless) I'm happy. Because of the trail benefits over the Yeti.
If this set starts eating trannies for lunch I'll be less happy. A twisted/snapped driveshaft I can live with.

Grt
wouter
I have no idea how the actual MPH works out with them but 20 may be realistic with the right brushless. However you will be required to build the transmission to handle that power, stock will NOT hold up. Same with the driveshafts.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Lol. I was afraid of that. So the sane choise would ge to get a Yeti and gradualy make it more 'rough-capable'. Hardware is a step up compared to the Wraith.
I check your goat hill vids again. See how you improved the ride hight in the front. ;)
Thnx for the input.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #11
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouterb View Post
Lol. I was afraid of that. So the sane choise would ge to get a Yeti and gradualy make it more 'rough-capable'. Hardware is a step up compared to the Wraith.
I check your goat hill vids again. See how you improved the ride hight in the front. ;)
Thnx for the input.
It depends on your desired running terrain. I think I would chose a Wraith over a Yeti if I only had one. I'd let the Yeti get ahead of me in the fast stuff and then make up the time in the rocks!
Old 11-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thnx. Back to square one in decision making..... ;)
Old 11-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I have 2 Wraith's and a Yeti. I like to set my Wraith to higher speed then most people... So, maybe my 2 cents will interest you.

- 1st, if you want more speed, you will have to put in a lot of upgrade to keep it running hard. It will not end up being a cheap / stock like ride!
- The traction roll is terrible on the Wraith, so you can go fast when going straight, but you will need to slow down drastically in corners (good tuning and adapting your driving style can help it. But it will never be a decent racer).
- My Wraith's are tuned for wood bashing. Great for rough trails. Boring on flat trails (Great with the Yeti). Ok in deep wood (My XR10 is the king for that).
- The Yeti is amazingly stable on jumps and fun to run on all sort of terrains, but you need larger playground to play with it. It's not comfortable in tight areas.

Bottom line, they are for different use. I would suggest that you and your friend buy the same RC (then save another pile of cash, to buy your 2nd one later). That way you will have fun together. If not, you will want to go to different running spots...

Both the Wraith and the Yeti are great RC's. You can't go wrong buying one or the other. But if speed is attracting to you. No hesitation, go with the Yeti!

Another option might be something more in between the 2 : the Twin Hammers (with a faster motor)... I take it as a 2nd ride with either one Wraith or the Yeti.

Hope this help.

Last edited by EncoreuneMod!; 11-30-2014 at 06:38 PM.
EncoreuneMod! is offline   Reply With Quote

Getting a Wraith up to Yeti-speed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith vs Yeti wouterb Axial Yeti 23 10-26-2015 10:34 PM
Which is a better basher Wraith or Yeti ribaja Newbie General 23 11-17-2014 08:48 AM
Yeti XL or a Wraith XL????? twissted Axial Yeti XL 17 11-02-2014 02:23 PM
Question for those with Yeti and Wraith A8ball Axial Yeti 3 09-03-2014 07:34 AM