Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: how does the stock rear axle handle power?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #1

Default how does the stock rear axle handle power?

I wanting to build a custom rig and just wondering how does the rear axle handle power? Such as like the gears and stuff? It will just be 2s power but on a heavy truck. Also, is the wraith rear axle the same as the yeti? On ebay most axle say front/rear, are they the same/reversible?

Last edited by Hayden RC; 12-22-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Hayden RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: how does the stock rear axle handle power?

Hd gears good spool or locker and creeperbob ti rear shafts vp lockouts and a nice diff cover ull have to have more power than 2s to break lol
gsrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:34 PM   #3

But how is the STOCK axle?
Old 12-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

2s on brushless or brushed? If you aren't sure, refer to Harley's motor/ESC guide. Otherwise as mentioned the HD gears are a good bet.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:37 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

It works just fine! I ran my wraith on 4s brushless for around 10 packs and the rear axle was not one of the things that broke. Needs nothing out of the box and replace stuff if it lets loose. Best of luck

Edit, and yeah the yeti axle is the same thing
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden RC View Post
I wanting to build a custom rig and just wondering how does the rear axle handle power? Such as like the gears and stuff? It will just be 2s power but on a heavy truck. Also, is the wraith rear axle the same as the yeti? On ebay most axle say front/rear, are they the same/reversible?
The stock axle will handle a heavy rig pretty well. As asked by another user, what power plant. Heavy rig and a brushless motor, the axle won't last long. Heavy rig and a mild brushed motor, the axle will last just fine.

If you are going to run big power. You absolutely need a dlux housing, HD gear set, and locker spool (either hot racing or fi or...). I'd stay with the stock axle shafts. Titanium is more prone to brittle fracture, where the stock steel ones will twist a little before they break (I know this only as I've broken a creeper bob titanium shaft and have yet to break a stock steel one).

Yes the yeti and wraith have the same rear axle. The reason wraith axles are listed as font and back is due to the hubs/knuckles vs lockouts. The other unique part is the upper link mount. If the pumpkin is on a different side than what you want you may need a different upper link to make it all work.

Good luck
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I've found the axle to be tuff even when abused with 1/8 scale power
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
The stock axle will handle a heavy rig pretty well. As asked by another user, what power plant. Heavy rig and a brushless motor, the axle won't last long. Heavy rig and a mild brushed motor, the axle will last just fine.

If you are going to run big power. You absolutely need a dlux housing, HD gear set, and locker spool (either hot racing or fi or...). I'd stay with the stock axle shafts. Titanium is more prone to brittle fracture, where the stock steel ones will twist a little before they break (I know this only as I've broken a creeper bob titanium shaft and have yet to break a stock steel one).

Yes the yeti and wraith have the same rear axle. The reason wraith axles are listed as font and back is due to the hubs/knuckles vs lockouts. The other unique part is the upper link mount. If the pumpkin is on a different side than what you want you may need a different upper link to make it all work.

Good luck
I'll be using a 2500 kv brushless motor the truck well be around 9 pounds. So if I order the axle of eBay it says that it ships a front or a rear can not be specific. Can I use a fron axle on the rear. I'm buildin a Trophy truck. And the pumpkin can be on the either side.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden RC View Post
I'll be using a 2500 kv brushless motor the truck well be around 9 pounds. So if I order the axle of eBay it says that it ships a front or a rear can not be specific. Can I use a fron axle on the rear. I'm buildin a Trophy truck. And the pumpkin can be on the either side.
They have different axle parts and shafts. There would be almost no point in buying a front axle to turn into a rear axle. Just buy the correct one.

As for what it takes to make it hold up. You will likely need a new locker quickly, but from there it won't need much right away.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I ran a stock rear axle with a roc412 3100kv on 2S for a couple months of heavy use and it held up fine. The only damage was one of the screws holding the diff housing to the ring gear broke. Which I didn't notice until I swapped it out anyways don't worry about breaking anything until it does. I've been running the same stock pinion bearings for a year easily 2-300 packs (2 and 3s) so you probably won't need a deluxe housing either. Ymmv though but don't listen to everyone telling you to upgrade right away.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Agreed, on 2s and brushed you're good to go for awhile. And as was mentioned the locker will probably start spinning in the diff case before anything else.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I agree with harley a locked up rc spool or hot racing spool and then abuse the shit out of it.

But don't forget to abuse the stock locker first as you may get a ton of run time out 9f it before needing upgraded.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote

how does the stock rear axle handle power? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Only the rear axle turns under power? theshackle Axial AX10 2nd-gen 0 04-11-2013 02:30 PM
So, what kind of power will a wraith axle handle? Slowkrawl Axial Wraith 11 10-08-2012 11:27 PM
How Much Power Can TLT's Handle? crazyorigin General Crawlers 0 12-04-2009 07:08 PM
how much power can a pede really handle?? slobin3d Non Crawler RC's 9 02-19-2007 10:26 AM
Loss of power in rear axle zach3713 General Crawlers 5 10-03-2005 09:25 AM