Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: The help me build a Wraith thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: The help me build a Wraith thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
If you want something 'sweet' that's going to handle your 'shitton of power' and you don't have anything to work with, you should follow this manual for how to handle it.
Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith
All the part#'s are there, there's everything you will need for a build like this. So you can't afford vanquish, look at hot racing or blue monkey. It's pretty straightforward.

Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Post #3 and 4 should explain some more.
I'll have to look into those threads, especially the bulletproofing one.
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
I'll have to look into those threads, especially the bulletproofing one.
So read harley's thread and can someone tell me why he uses underdrive gears in the back but not the front? As a 1:1 4x4 real life kinda guy I figured the constant bound up drivetrain cannot be good for it.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

Just acquired a front axle. Already has chubs done but that's it. Will look into knuckles for sure. Getting closer.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I think the OD/UD gears may be more for crawling? I think it would be less important (or even a hindrance) for bashing/high speed stuff.

Way to start checking off the list! I think I'm done with my Wraith (for now!). Need to start a thread....
motopreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:55 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Also found a rear axle housing but it's pretty empty. Will have to actually build it up with goodies.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

My goal is a sub 500 dollar wraith. Looks like I'll be pretty close to meeting that budget.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #27
Rock Stacker

Picked up that Wraith Trans with the dig off of the classifieds. Down to rear axle parts and driveshafts and I'll have a roller. Speaking of rear axle parts, I have to buy axle shafts, is there and upgrade for that?
Old 01-26-2015, 11:38 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

I noticed Harley's thread didn't say anything about rear axle shafts
Old 01-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

I think most people focus on the choice between the front axle shafts. Stock, uni, VVD etc. Currently there seems to be an issue with the universal upgrade parts snapping. You'll find the thread in this section. It seems dependent on when they were manufactured???
Old 01-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #30
Rock Stacker

Well my front axle is complete, but has factory dogbone style axle shafts. When (not if) they fail, I'll upgrade to something else, but just want to get it going.

My rear axle is pretty empty, I have a housing, lock outs, bearing caps, diff cover, and truss. So I plan on doing the HD gear set, hot racing locker, and some sort of axle shaft.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
Well my front axle is complete, but has factory dogbone style axle shafts. When (not if) they fail, I'll upgrade to something else, but just want to get it going.

My rear axle is pretty empty, I have a housing, lock outs, bearing caps, diff cover, and truss. So I plan on doing the HD gear set, hot racing locker, and some sort of axle shaft.
The dogbones proved to be plenty strong for me, but the steering angle is terrible. I went with the axial universals, I have been through several sets, but all by my own doing.

I would recommend something other than the hot racing locker. Mine is looser than the factory pot metal one. Something that's advertised as "press fit" would be much better, imho.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

I think if you already have the dog bones (as you've noticed - the least sought after), I'd wait a bit and see if the snapping axle issue resolved before you spend $ on the uni's.

I have the HR lockers - they seem fine so far. I think the LockedUpRC FI spool is the next step up (price and quality).

The rear shafts are fairly cheap but seem to be back ordered.

EDIT: didn't see Maslin's post while I was typing. Might be worth getting the FI spool - which seems to be press fit (might need to do a bit of grinding to get the flat in).
Old 01-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post
I think if you already have the dog bones (as you've noticed - the least sought after), I'd wait a bit and see if the snapping axle issue resolved before you spend $ on the uni's.

I have the HR lockers - they seem fine so far. I think the LockedUpRC FI spool is the next step up (price and quality).

The rear shafts are fairly cheap but seem to be back ordered.

EDIT: didn't see Maslin's post while I was typing. Might be worth getting the FI spool - which seems to be press fit (might need to do a bit of grinding to get the flat in).
I'll check into that spool. I haven't ordered any of the axle parts yet. Thank you both!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:13 PM   #34
RCC Addict

I roughly measured the free spin in my axial pot metal locker in the rear and my hot racing spool in the front. With one wheel and the pinion locked, the stock locker has 4* of rotation, the hot racing spool has 22*.

It's almost comical how sloppy it is. That being said, I haven't managed to strip it out, and I'm rough on parts.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:48 AM   #35
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
I roughly measured the free spin in my axial pot metal locker in the rear and my hot racing spool in the front. With one wheel and the pinion locked, the stock locker has 4* of rotation, the hot racing spool has 22*.

It's almost comical how sloppy it is. That being said, I haven't managed to strip it out, and I'm rough on parts.
wow thanks for the info, that is way too much for my liking. Think I'm going to step up for a few more dollars to the LockedUpRC FI spool.

The help me build a Wraith thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mudsy's MT Wraith Build Thread Mudsy Axial Wraith 32 07-15-2017 03:49 PM
Soscary's wraith build thread! soscary Axial Wraith 56 02-15-2015 10:23 PM
Lucas's Wraith Build Thread LucasAutomotive Axial Wraith 11 09-21-2013 09:20 AM
Evol's Wraith Build thread ev0l Axial Wraith 98 09-17-2013 06:47 PM
aqwik69's Wraith build thread.... aqwik69 Axial Wraith 23 09-14-2013 06:50 PM