Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: MS Racing's UnWraithed Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Default Re: MS Racing's UnWraithed Wraith

Just curious, why do you have the lower link mounts censored in that picture?
TheBigRigger122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #42
Pebble Pounder

I'm working on a better looking set of mounts. The ones on there are the first set I made.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
msrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Front winch, esc, upper shock mount finished. Much better geometry and a nice solid package.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 PM   #44

Sway bar

I'm also a 1 to1 guy. But my buggy is stuck on the obstacles called broke sob jack stands.

Last edited by scott037; 04-05-2016 at 11:27 PM.
scott037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:41 AM   #45

Why such a low anti-squat? What will end up happening with it being that low is when you climb a steep, high traction incline, the rear will drop and your CG will go past axle centerline and cause it to roll backwards.
adamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:07 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk View Post
Why such a low anti-squat? What will end up happening with it being that low is when you climb a steep, high traction incline, the rear will drop and your CG will go past axle centerline and cause it to roll backwards.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but making it squat will lower the CG and thus keep it on the right side of the rear axle. Right?
Otherway around, making the rear climb (+100% squat) will lift the CG. And due to fhe vertical orientation and acceleration of the rig, possibly over the rear axle and flip it backwards.
Concider I'm learning before flaming
wouterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Weight placement is very important especially up front cause it can have a lever affect. Having the as that low will in fact drop the chassis on a climb and help bite in as opposed to just be a solid pivot point like you would get on a high as. Wouterb is on the right track. Notice I didn't go just under 100% I went way under. The problem with too high an as and it will stop digging for traction.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouterb View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but making it squat will lower the CG and thus keep it on the right side of the rear axle. Right?
Otherway around, making the rear climb (+100% squat) will lift the CG. And due to fhe vertical orientation and acceleration of the rig, possibly over the rear axle and flip it backwards.
Concider I'm learning before flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrace View Post
Weight placement is very important especially up front cause it can have a lever affect. Having the as that low will in fact drop the chassis on a climb and help bite in as opposed to just be a solid pivot point like you would get on a high as. Wouterb is on the right track. Notice I didn't go just under 100% I went way under. The problem with too high an as and it will stop digging for traction.
I understand the higher numbers causing to loose traction as the rear wants to lift. I guess what I don't get is when it's that low, although your CG on flat ground will decrease, you're actually pulling your center line closer to vertical on an incline thus making it want to roll over backwards right?
Old 04-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #49
Pebble Pounder

One thing to remember is your as will change throughout the travel. If you have a design that swings drastically as the suspension moves, it can actually induce more movement. When I design a suspension, I try to keep the as changes more on the minimum through the range of travel making it more consistent and more pridictable. Another thing to keep in mind is what direction the as numbers swing in relation to travel. My preference for that is based on use. In this case being a crawler I set the as to raise in bump travel and lower in droop.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #50

Quote:
One thing to remember is your as will change throughout the travel. If you have a design that swings drastically as the suspension moves, it can actually induce more movement. When I design a suspension, I try to keep the as changes more on the minimum through the range of travel making it more consistent and more pridictable. Another thing to keep in mind is what direction the as numbers swing in relation to travel. My preference for that is based on use. In this case being a crawler I set the as to raise in bump travel and lower in droop.
I'm following you. Where did you find the 4 link calculator version you're working with? I've got an older version that doesn't show the bump/droop AS numbers, only static.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #51
Pebble Pounder

I'm using the one I got onothing pirate 4x4. I scaled up all the measurements to keep it as accurate as I could.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:00 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

Don't overlook what I'm doing up front when I comes to near vertical climbs either.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #53

Quote:
Don't overlook what I'm doing up front when I comes to near vertical climbs either.
I didn't see what you're doing for the front. I assume you've got low AS numbers there as well? I'll jump over to Pirate and see if I can find the version you're using. I would be really nice to see how the numbers change through suspension travel.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #54
Pebble Pounder

The first picture in post #43 says it all, well sort of. To give you an idea, my antisquat goes from 28% to 29% in three inches of bump travel.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Wow... you are quickly becoming my crawling superhero! I never realized all the math involved in creating a better crawler. Is there anywhere online I can go to learn more about this?
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #56
Pebble Pounder

Lol thanks. As far as where to learn this stuff, that's a tough one, but you can start on some of the threads on pirate 4x4. It's all full size stuff, but the principles are the same. But it's tough cause you have to weed through a lot to find any valid info. I spent a few months studying suspension design before building my first one. And I've learned a lot wheeling with some very talented competitors.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #57

Quote:
The first picture in post #43 says it all, well sort of. To give you an idea, my antisquat goes from 28% to 29% in three inches of bump travel.
Gotcha. I saw the coilover location change but couldn't tell with the links. You've done a very good job and thanks for the info
Old 04-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #58
Pebble Pounder

It's actually not the shocks or links, that little orange string has a whole bunch to do with it. Think cg manipulation.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:00 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It's actually not the shocks or links, that little orange string has a whole bunch to do with it. Think cg manipulation.
ROFL!
Got me as wel.

Anyway, I downloaded the calculator. homework time.

"...I set the AS to raise in bump travel and lower in droop..."

This one is intriguing. Wondering about the link placement to accomplish this.
At a bump a shorter upper (common set up) will bring the AS aft, nearer to the axle. Not 'higher' unless your AS traverses to behind the lower frame mount.

Or am I loosing 'the right track' now?
Old 04-07-2016, 01:09 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Looking at this I see you moved your upper axle mounts forward. effectively shortening the upper links and this makes the AS move to the rear more during bump.
Giving it a progressive character... I guess.

MS Racing's UnWraithed Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motoworx Racing's All New 3.8 Wheel motoworx Vendors Tires and wheels 10 04-14-2016 07:16 PM
Caster racing's new rig. Werty Made General Crawlers 26 05-11-2015 11:37 AM
Motoworx Racing's new 1.9 design motoworx Vendors Tires and wheels 36 10-18-2012 06:42 PM