Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: DT's UGC Viper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
My new spool and a spare showed up last night. My HR gear set hasn't showed up yet though. If I don't get them by Sunday, I will be comping with the Fastback again, glad she is still on the shelf.
If the gears show up, I am going to get them in the cases as soon as possible, as well as new Avid bearings, and I am going to go throttle happy. I figure if I break something it doesn't make me think about how much money I have already spent. Keep up the updates..
I do have concerns for the spool with a hardened gear meshed to it. Waiting with paypal for hardened spools.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

RTR weight: a porker like me

Last edited by DickyT; 10-08-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:44 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

My lower rear links are a failure. In a bind they damn near fold in half, which I did expect, but hoped they would not.

What to do now... Build a bender and learn to bend Ti, T1E links, BWD links, buy a sheet of derin and go use my buddies band saw?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #44
Tossin' Salad

alot of the berg and bully guys use the bent rectangular rear links...maybe you could cut some out like that....or gawd forbid...have someone make them for you.

Sure does look good.
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
My lower rear links are a failure. In a bind they damn near fold in half, which I did expect, but hoped they would not.

What to do now... Build a bender and learn to bend Ti, T1E links, BWD links, buy a sheet of derin and go use my buddies band saw?

the T1e rear links have very good clearance ... they look nice too ...

or better yet .... wait til juan comes out with the UGC moa chassis and maybe he can have custom links to match the chassis as well
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

I ordered the T1e links, will use the stock rears up front until I come up with a better option, and ordered 101mm 30 degree bend axial links in grey to use as upper links to remove flex.

I am still wanting to make a bender and get some Ti from lunsford long term, but this should get me going, and hopefully transfer over to the UGC chassis with out too much work.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Dicky, Mcmaster sells a pretty cheap bender (~$8 ) that mounts to a bench or vise. I've used it to bend threaded stainless....should hold up to Ti...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #48
Pebble Pounder

I'd like to try titanium bending as well. From what I understand, you just need a more generous bend radius than aluminum. Also, it is more springy than steel, so you will need to compensate when bending. Jump in and let us know how it works out.
cwettstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwettstain View Post
I'd like to try titanium bending as well. From what I understand, you just need a more generous bend radius than aluminum. Also, it is more springy than steel, so you will need to compensate when bending. Jump in and let us know how it works out.
In do time. I just bought a solution for the time being. Long term I will end up with Ti links though
Old 10-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

im just going to use my shafty fb for the moment.......but i may be able to use the stock skid....also figured out how to mount everything all ninja like too........i purchase my xr wed ....sorry for the hijack...my thread will be up asap
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

did you weigh the difference between the HR gear set and the stock set by chance? just a curiosity seeing as they went to the trouble of drilling the holes in them...
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
did you weigh the difference between the HR gear set and the stock set by chance? just a curiosity seeing as they went to the trouble of drilling the holes in them...
I did not, I do not have a scale at home. That rig sized scale is in the engineering lab at my job and I am not about to break the tranny down and bring a bag of small parts to work, they will get lost or misplaced.

I do have shipping notification on my black VP knuckles and Chubs!

Last edited by DickyT; 10-11-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Just over 5 and a half pounds isn't that heavy...
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I ordered 101mm 30 degree bend axial links in grey to use as upper links to remove flex.
I used these on my rear lowers and added another bind to them seem strong enuff and with the xtra bend it but them right at 98mm same as stock with out ends on them. May change the bend little bit to get it to protect the motor more like you have yours!

Quote:
I did not, I do not have a scale at home.
I picked one up from Wal-Mart for 20 bucks does the job good enuff!
Vertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

or if you have a harbor freight near you they sell them for 10 or less pretty regular
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

I have a space issue at home. 800 sq feet, wife, 2 dogs, kid on the way. I am not allowed to bring any more "gadgets" home until we get a larger place.

Or I would have had a digi scale at home long ago. Plenty of places around here sell them cheap enough.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #57
RCC Addict

I don't really know much about smaller gauge ti, but I have done some work in the cycling industry with ti hollow tubing. Many comments about ti is that it flexes well but does not bend well (instead snaps). Couple other observations is that in the unpolished form it is fairly grainy and looks to me like it would hang up some.

You want to check out some cool non crawler ti work check out what Wes Williams of Willets bikes is doing with ti. To bend it he pours a weaker melted metal down inside it. Lets it cool some and then bends then reheats and removes the inner material.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

One on the way! congratulations!
The good thing is think of all the toys you get to buy! But the bad thing they want be for you!........
Vertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I don't really know much about smaller gauge ti, but I have done some work in the cycling industry with ti hollow tubing. Many comments about ti is that it flexes well but does not bend well (instead snaps). Couple other observations is that in the unpolished form it is fairly grainy and looks to me like it would hang up some.

You want to check out some cool non crawler ti work check out what Wes Williams of Willets bikes is doing with ti. To bend it he pours a weaker melted metal down inside it. Lets it cool some and then bends then reheats and removes the inner material.

I will be using the 4mm lunsford rod, not hollow and has a polished surface. Either way that is put on the back burner for the time being. The t1e links and axial ax10 bent links for uppers are already bought. I'll run that this year and do a links dress up and electronics upgrade for 2012 season
Old 10-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Default Bling!

Ms postlady just left the office, dropped this off for me before she departed.